Germanic rulers

How the fuck did these savages rule vast areas of Europe and North Africa?

I'm just learning about Germanic tribes like Visigoths, Ostrogoths, Vandals, and Lombard etc

Other urls found in this thread:

tertullian.org/fathers/sidonius_letters_01book1.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

superior East Germanic genes.

The Germanic peoples of the migration period were basically just not!Romans. They looked like them, fought like them, and operated politically like them.

They were Christians who had the resources of their army, their nobles and later on the Church.

On top of that they were often welcomed by the local populace as they were the ones who could provide protection and keep the bath houses going. The Vandals in North Africa were known for building new bath houses when the old ones had gone.

So they adopted Rome's culture and legacy after Rome fell?

I guess Germans did have the right to call themselves Holy Romans afterall

Not really, they kept speaking their own language, they had their own legal system based on their race and every so often one their leaders got killed for being too Roman.

The reality is that Rome and the Barbarians had grown toward each other during the centuries. The last west Roman Emperor had statesmen, generals and an army of Germanic descent. His Clothing and religion was close to what the conquerors had.

The Roman legacy was kept alive but in many ways it wasn't until later that it had to be revived. Remember that Roman aristocracy continued to exist for a long while and that many of the Popes were from old Roman families, the aquaduct kept flowing and while there was a serious decline perhaps it wasn't that noticeable in the span of a human life.

>So they adopted Rome's culture and legacy after Rome fell?
They adopted a fair bit of the culture way before the Fall of the WRE. Rome was the cultural hegemon with all the good stuff. The latest in fashion, aswell as technology all came to the germanic peoples through the Roman Empire. Rome also made frequent use of noble hostages which served the purpose of thoroughly romanizing the sons of the germanic tribal elite and many germanic men found employment in the roman legions as auxillaries and foederati. In fact the germanics eventually came to dominate the military of the WRE. Some germanic persons even managed to became the true power behind the throne.

The tribes of germania were famous for their martial prowess. In fact the first contact the romans had with them could easily have lead to the destruction of the roman state during the height of its power as a republic if it weren't for incredible luck in combination with the military brilliance of Marius. Educating and arming them in accordance with roman military creed didn't exactly make them less of a military power.

Rome fell because they adopted it. places excessive emphasis on bath houses though is basically right. Germanic tribes allied with Rome and fought for them as client states (foederati), for centuries they had exposure to this empire next door and adopted various innovations, the Germanic tribes were very different from the Celts the Romans fought 300 years earlier. Caesar described a wide variety of fighting styles whereas Germanic tribes seemed to have gravitated towards a more optimized style, the "shield wall", the wide thin leaf shaped spearhead was replaced by a smaller one, northern Europe also saw changes in agriculture increasing populations while the Roman warm period ended, they were also exposed to steppe peoples who brought new breeds of horses and later the saddle tree, they became more organized with otherwise independent tribes cooperating to achieve greater goals, a precursor to feudalism.

>they were often welcomed
Lol they werent, fuckinh faggot, fuck you and your shit

They were savages that brought the dark ages

>Lol they werent, fuckinh faggot, fuck you and your shit

The Franks, Ostrogoths and Vandals were.

>The reality is that Rome and the Barbarians had grown toward each other during the centuries.
Iirc up until the second century marriage between Romans and 'barbarians ' was still forbidden

Not him but,

That would still leave some 250 years wouldn't it.

Besides by the second century most people living in the Roman Empire wouldn't have been Romans to begin with.

>Besides by the second century most people living in the Roman Empire wouldn't have been Romans to begin with.
Roman was never an ethnicity, it was a citizenship. The original ethnicity of the romans were latin.

Raping and destroying everything?
They killed architects, scientist, historians , etc

>They killed architects, scientist, historians , etc

What?

Killed everything that was from roman er

All that knowledge got lost, mediaeval western europe was behind the bronze age

Building castle?
Hahaha

What the fuck

>five good emperors era included the golden age of rome
>as soon as they allowed racemixing Rome began to collapse
Makes me think.

Roman == Latin for most ethnic Latins then. Of course it changed at the end but that was more of a recent phenomena.

>Can't write properly
>Calls other savages

i'm descendant of visigoths, they weren't savages but honorary romans

Reminder never to respond to Dominican posts

I'm actually a faggot, but I love to dress up as women as well. I love to bend over in my pink fishnets, hoping someone would ravage my tight black asshole.

I'm a honorary slut.

butthurt

Stop pretending to be me.

Wow

You anons really lack social life to do this on a image board

Your anus is my anus.

stop projecting and stop pretending to be me

ALL THOSE MOMENTS WILL BE LOST
LIKE TEARS
IN... RAIN...

Take the name off youre not me

FUCK OFF!!!

hahaha, how the fuck is dominican real, just like close your eyes nigga

Because you're speaking the truth and it's getting right to the heart of these LARPing wh*Toids.
Keep spreading the word brother.

fuck off

Trust nobody, not even yourself

Why are you all such dicks??

fuck off don't tell me what to do

i'm dominican, yes i'm the real dominican
all you other dominicans are just imitating

Big
Batavian
Cocks

*stands up*

Fuck off stop bullying me.

I'm not a nigger.

there we go, i just googled how to solve this
go to hell doknkey fuckrs

good idea

indeed

trips for rome, germanic scum btfo

You do realise that latins only made up a fraction of the roman state's population ever since the city state's period?
You might aswell have said that most englishmen weren't norse in the 17th century.

Kek fucking nigger.

Talking about "the dark ages" unironically and uncritically on a history board should be a ban-able offense.

>You do realise that latins only made up a fraction of the roman state's population ever since the city state's period
Yes but mixing was forbidden then.
>tfw i can see parallels to America from Rome

Mixing was forbidden between romans and non-citizens yes. However far from all romans were latins.

Oh and yes, racism, and stereotypes regarding different ethnicities was a thing and classism was a defining feature of roman society.
No, your senatorial family with three consular ancestors since Sulla wouldn't approve of you taking a freeman home to the family dinner.

This is nice free-verse poem. Mind if I publish it as my own?

>How the fuck did these savages rule vast areas of Europe and North Africa?

Perhaps, maybe, I'm just throwing darts at the wall here, but, have you considered that...

History doesn't conform to your narrow and likely uninformed opinions about it?

Latins were slavs anyway

I just read Paulinus of Pella's Eucharisticos.

The Romans brought collapse on themselves, but having to put up with the Goths after 405/06 sounds awful.

What they did to the Goths were awful.

>Being this deluded.
Everyone knows that the latins were turks.

i'm tired of these anti northern euro depictions of Germanic peoples as caveman looking savages.

pic related was the art work of these so called barbarians.

here's some more germanic savage, uncultured barbarian art

America was never white

Get a trip or get tripped on

>Remember that Roman aristocracy continued to exist for a long while and that many of the Popes were from old Roman families, the aquaduct kept flowing and while there was a serious decline perhaps it wasn't that noticeable in the span of a human life.

It really puts the sudden, tragic decline of Western Civilization since 2001 in perspective. Rome barely died and we lament over it to this day, while we see an order of degeneracy ushered in before our eyes and few even say a word.

By the time they sacked Rome, the germanic peoples weren't the small pissant tribals like they were during Tacitus' days. Their political organization were becoming more complex and they were forming their own armies, kingdoms and a feudal system. I reccommend pic related if you want to know more about Europe during the migration period.

Don't be a faggot. One of the fundamental strengths of the Roman state that set it apart was its capacity to assimilate people. That's not at all some modern multiculti propaganda but a fact. It's likewise true that before modernity there was a hell of alot more existing ethnicities, making it practically impossible for such a small people as the latins to rule the mediterranean. There's a reason that Rome demanded troops and not taxes from its italian allies.

Stop using my nickname

Eurangutans REEEEE

>decline of Western Civilization since 2001
The writing's been on the wall since the early 20th century, which, oddly, has also coincided with the rise of Germany, and their being the catalyst for two near cataclysmic wars for the West.

Why do Germans always have to ruin everything?

This. Vast swathes of the former "Barbaricum" beyond the frontiers was undergoing the shift towards urbanisation and social stratification. Roman gold, weapons and soldiers that had trained in the Roman army flooded back across the frontiers and enriched the land around them. Dozens of the tribes mentioned by people like Tacitus as weak, individual groups, had confederated into massive tribal groups such as the Franks, Alemanni ("all men") and Goths.

I think these threads often fail to understand that while Germanic tribesmen ended up fucking the empire to some extent, they also paradoxically helped prop it up. The Visigoths, after they sacked Rome, proved to be pretty stalwart Roman allies for decades afterwards, annihilating the Suebi, Alans and Vandals in Spain, subduing the Armoricans and checking the power of other groups. Aetius' Hunnic troops were instrumental to him stabilising the empire. Many a leading Magister Militum or Praetorian Prefect was from a barbarian ancestry. Many of them were proudly Christian, proudly Romanised etc.

Here is a Roman bishop's view of King Theodoric of the Visigoths.

tertullian.org/fathers/sidonius_letters_01book1.htm

>You have often begged a description of Theodoric the Gothic king, whose gentle breeding fame commends to every nation; you want him in his quantity and quality, in his person, and the manner of his existence. I gladly accede, as far as the limits of my page allow, and highly approve so fine and ingenuous a curiosity...

>One of the fundamental strengths of the Roman state that set it apart was its capacity to assimilate people.
Not really correct. What Rome actively tried to assimilate, by and large, were the upper crust of conquered societies. The higher nobility and the most influential merchants. Even then, those people were kept in the provinces and did not rise to power in the roman hierarchy, which stayed completely and utterly italic until the 2nd century, and non-roman sensu stricto italics were still being looked down upon regardless of citizenship all the way to the end of the republic (you just need to look at all the shit Marius, Pompey pere&fils, Cicero, etc got due to their non-roman latin origins, or picenian in Pompey's case). The italics had to fight a fucking civil war before getting political rights.
When historians talk about Rome's assimilation powers they don't talk of Rome's inclusivity (which wasn't a thing unless armies were involved), they talk about Rome's extreme ease in romanizing the provincials.

>When historians talk about Rome's assimilation powers they don't talk of Rome's inclusivity

Yeah. Most people in rural areas still spoke Gaulish, Briton, Galatian or Aramaic.

Minority languages are still a thing in most of Europe's rural areas even now, in spite of a varying number of centuries in which states tried to force cultural unity.
Rome's remarkable because latin literacy spread faster than the legions. Transalpine Gauls used latin as a trade language before Caesar was even born.
Even in the east, where koiné was THE language, latin literacy was basically mandatory for the upper classes and the merchants.

>forbidden
It wasn't forbidden, it just wasn't legally acknowledged. In roman law marriage was a contract between citizens, not between people.
Nobody cared if Glabrus wanted to marry his german girl from the village outside the fort, the act simply held no meaning until the girl became a roman citizen when Glabrus got his army diploma on release from duty.

anglo here
we are not snow niggers
thank you

Rappers today wear BLING too... is that what impresses you? Does that make Snoop Dogg enlightened and cultured in your eyes?

Yea you are, read your history, not celtic history

I'm not disagreeing with you.
In fact
>Rome's extreme ease in romanizing the provincials
was what I was refering to as it meant that the people that mattered saw the opportunities that were had in embracing Rome and adopting the roman way of life.
Rome would never have been capable of annexing the territories it did if it wasn't for the aide and assistance of the locals who to a large extent got to keep their own power structures. Likewise Rome or even all of the latins would never have been able to support the military need of the empire by themselves.

Are you implying that Snoop Dogg makes his own jewelry?

because they had been observing the romans for centuries, monkey see monkey do

Romans became lazy and switched from warrior culture to the gay Greek shit, fucking boys all inclusive.

Germanics sticked to their warrior culture. It's always the warriors that rule.

> The economy was mainly based on arable agriculture, as is attested by numerous storage pits. Wheat (emmer) and six-row barley formed the basic crops, together with millet, rye and oats, peas, broad beans, lentils, and gold of pleasure (Camelina sativa). Flax was grown, and remains of domesticated apples, pears, and plums have been found. Cattle and pigs were the most important domestic animals, followed by sheep, goats, horses, and dogs. Pictures on Iron Age urns from Silesia attest horse riding, but horses were used to draw chariots as well. Hunting was practiced, as bones of red and roe deer, boar, bison, elk, hare, fox, and wolf attest, but did not provide much of the meat consumed. The numerous frog bones found at Biskupin may indicate that frogs' legs were eaten as well.

>Biskupin
>Germanics
AYYYYY LMAOO

> 900 years before Goths
> 1500 years before Serbs

They were probably some Proto-Celts larping with Proto-Balto-Slavs

>Proto-Celts
They moved into the west around 3000-3500BC, Lusatian was much later.

Another anglo here. It doesn't snow enough for us to be snowniggers. We're more forest/woodland niggers.

You know, maybe, just fucking MAYBE it's because they weren't "savages" and the whole modern world was founded on germanic principles, linguistics and inventions. Kys germanophobe

Without germanics you wouldn't even be reading this right now

Makes perfect sense that the most savage uncivilized people have been the most civilized people for the last 2000 years.

>larping
Fuck off.

Maybe historically, modern England is completely deforested.

The craddle of European Civilization comes from the North. All blond people originate from the north. So if you see a blond-blue eyed Slovene, Russian, Czech, Polak ect., you can be 100% sure that his ancient ancestors originated from "Germanics" (Germanic = Nordic).

"slovenja" was the settelment of the Langobards = Germanics/Teutons. "Poland" of the Goths and East-Vandals ect.

Slovenians descend from Turks, Gypsies and Italians.

I disagree with what you said to a certain degree, but pic related is really the map of the world.

But the Romans adopted christianity as their official religion and outlawed pederasty and gay sex in general and they still didn't stop their empire from collapsing.

yes you are idiot! anglo a Germanic people originating in the north German peninsula of Angeln.

the so called bling they where is in no way comparable in quality to these fine pieces.
also they don't produce it themselves, whitey does that for them.

i suppose the Greeks are bling lusting niggers too?