ITT: We talk about favorite historical movies and kinds we wish we could see

ITT: We talk about favorite historical movies and kinds we wish we could see.

Pic related is fav historical movie.

Would love to see a good modern WWI movie. Surprised there aren't more out there.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZRchlFw0OlI
youtu.be/-n1pKsGqrqQ
youtube.com/watch?v=CTYuYxmICGo
youtube.com/watch?v=HH1lr2nLrd0
youtube.com/watch?v=8E5FV9er7lQ
newsweek.com/veterans-why-hurt-locker-isnt-reality-75205
youtube.com/watch?v=X8zCv0AHnCs&t=3s
youtube.com/watch?v=DstyaGotWFM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Have you seen "Joyeux Noël" ?

lawrence of arabia. There should be more stuff like Game of thrones

No I haven't, but then I haven't seen a lot of foreign films.

>lawrence of arabia. There should be more stuff like Game of thrones
Yeah because what I really need is more Vikings dressed as bikers

Good movie. The singing scene is absolute kino

the opening scene on omaha beach still keeps me up at night, its fucking harrowing to imagine it happening for real.

Come and See, wish we had more movies about the partisan war on the Eastern Front during WWII.

>tfw no three hour epic about Pic related
Script writes itself and Neo-marxist faggots would screech autistically about how Islamaphobic it is.

bump

>>Would love to see a good modern WWI movie.
>forgets literally the greatest movie ever made

What did /histv/ mean by this?

What Paschendale? It's OK but wouldn't call it the greatest. Actually it sucks and the only good part is when they are in Europe.

Lawrence of Arabia. Seton the Middle Eastern front.

Actually have never seen it, but heard it was good.

Anglo trash.

Ah, Saving Private Ryan, the film that started the "You're not a real man unless you murder POW's" trend in American war movies. Ever since SPR, every new American war film includes a scene where a naive young private must earn his manhood by shooting a helpless person.

Who do they shoot in We Were Soldiers?

>wish we had more partisan movies
>posts movie that isnt a partisan movie
>vatnik "the germans wuz just as evil as us!!" propaganda
wew la

Communist propaganda deliberately distorting facts, even the director admitted he swapped the Ukrainians for Germans so he wouldn't cause animosity between Ukrainians and Belorussians.

Kek thats an insane soviet propaganda movie mate.
Saving private ryan is pretty good but too much pathos and spielberg "movie magic" shit

Der Untergang is a pretty good movie.

>spielberg "movie magic" shit
What do you mean?

>Seton the Middle Eastern front.

and then no one gave a shit.

Most of this is not very good, but it has some of the best Holocaust scenes and to my knowledge the most historically accurate depiction of the extermination process at Auschwitz:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZRchlFw0OlI

I want a movie about the 9 years war between Ireland and England.

To add, we haven't had a very good Holocaust movie for a time. Schindler's List is overrated and gets many aspects wrong and the Pianist isn't very focused on the extermination itself. Son of Saul was the best one I saw recently, but I really wish they adapted Shlomo Venezia's autobiography.

Thinking of Watching it, is it really any good?

Kike trash.

>Humanities

It is pretty good, but honestly it's only distinguishing factor is the way it is filmed, perpetually behind the main actor's back. It is tense and involving enough to work and be enjoyable, but doesn't have anything particularly interesting to say about the event it is portraying.

>Would love to see a good modern WWI movie.
T H I S
H
I
S

the great war started almost 100 years ago and we still don't have a good modern movie about ist. it's an absolut shame. something like a cinematization of ernst jüngers storm of steel would be great

this

or one about the battle of vienna

Surprised nobody mentioned Tora! Tora! Tora!, It's top notch

Here's the original trailer

youtu.be/-n1pKsGqrqQ

different user, but I feel like I might know what he's talking about yet its hard to describe. I feel like spielberg movie magic is when the movie feels too much like an amusement park or roller coaster ride. it can be a good thing but sometimes it can take something away.

for example forrest gump is heavy in movie magic: serious 20th century events of social turmoil are presented as fun or dramatic attractions at an amusement park. again it takes a lot of skill and calculation to pull this off but you have to ask if you really want history to be remembered that way.

of course you could argue these are supposed to rollercoasters and not educational films.

Nigga that was a major theme in Full Metal Jacket.

Can we count Band of brothers and other miniseries?the episodes are movie-lengh.

watch "For Those I Loved". A true story based on a book written by Martin Gray who was deported to Treblinka.

fav historical movie: Quest of Fire or Das Boot
and same as you i'd love to see a good WWI movie, maybe about Verdun or the Galipolli campaign.

>Quest of Fire

More "prehistorical" though.

At the risk of triggering people, pic related is one of my favorite historical movies. What I'd like to see would be either an Odyssey adaptation starring Sean Bean with same producers and director as Troy or a movie about the Second Punic War.

>What I'd like to see would be either an Odyssey adaptation starring Sean Bean with same producers and director as Troy or a movie about the Second Punic War.
Literally just came in to this thread to post the exact same thing. I remember thinking a few years back that it would have been 10 or so years since Troy was released, perfect timing for a Sean Bean led 'Odyssey"

Paths of Glory

Any movies about the following?
Cortes
Peninsular War
Pedro II of Brazil
Battle of Tours 732
Battle of Sekigahara 1600

youtube.com/watch?v=CTYuYxmICGo

I wish there were more movies about XVIth and XVIIth century.

It's a good movie, but the theatrical cut is a disaster. Director's cut is the only real cut.

When Full Metal Jacket did it, it was clearly done in such a way as to not condone what was happening. Movies like Saving Private Ryan, Inglorious Bastards, and most recently, Fury all turn the concept into some kind of rite of passage, where some kid is made out to be a wimp because he doesn't want to commit a war crime. The "wimp" is then forced to "redeem himself" later in the film by shooting the same man who he'd previously advocated for.

Joker doesn't become a good person after he shoots the vietnamese girl, the end of full metal jacket is horrifying because Joker is completely willing to accept that hesitating to murder someone is a bad thing, the person who tried to talk down Pyle, saving Private Ryan implied that the guy who advocated for not murdering the POW was in the wrong for trying to be ethical during war, if anything, the films judgment on POW's a mixed bag, the dutch translators getting shot being a good example.

>kino
Slit your throat.

What about The Boy in the Striped Pajamas? I can't vouch for historical accuracy but I enjoyed watching it.

I agree with you.

The King

If series count I'd say Da Vincis Demons
I'll never forget the scene when Leo fucks an Incan priestressqueen in an Andean Temple Pyramide while experiencing an ayahuasca trip

> It was supposed to be five seasons
> HBO realized it was a mistake to chop it to two
> "We will never prematurely cancel a long series again!"
> Get 8 seasons of Game of Thrones
God I'm still so fucking mad.

pretty good movie from the German's perspective

>Das Boot

Was going to say this. Probably my favourite movie. I'd like to see one on the Battle of Jutland. Or a movie on the Bismarck.

>Michael Bay in charge of HMS Hood getting BTFO
>Cums in his pants

It wasn't that bad desu.

Sink the Bismarck! never gets old

I wouldn't even call it okay.

>5 minutes of plot advancement
>45 minutes of filler
>nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh

here's trailers for 2 : youtube.com/watch?v=HH1lr2nLrd0

youtube.com/watch?v=8E5FV9er7lQ

>Admiral Gunther Lutjens gets character assassinated as an autistic Nazi fanatic when he was a quarter Jewish, his wife was half-Jewish, he filed a formal protest against Kristallnacht, repeatedly refused to give Hitler the Nazi salute, openly admitted he thought the war was wrong, and his family was only spared a trip to Treblinka because he was friends with Karl Dönitz
>good

>Cortes by the same director as Revenant
DO IT NOW

saw it when i was 17 in a cinema on the first week of its release and i was glued in awe on the seat seeing what landing on omaha would have been like. Never seen a WW2 combat like that before. And the sound. For the sound of bullets hitting the body they recorded actual gunshots on pieces of meat iirc.

There is a Gallipoli movie

Lost Battalion can get a little hokey at times.

anglo propaganda aside this is a good old movie

>WIR HABEN NÜFFINS GEDINDÜT
Fuck off. Dirlewanger Brigade was fucking real you stupid /pol/faggot. Fucking schnitzelniggers unleashed an entire battalion of armed serial killers, rapists and child molesters on the innocent people of Belarus and Poland and stormwipes have the gall to claim it wasn't real because it was made by a Soviet director. I'd love for the whole Dirlewanger brigade to rape your entire family and burn your house down while you scream "MUH SOVIET PROPAGANDA."
What the fuck are you talking about? There are Ukrainian collaborators in the fucking movie you utter dumbshit. That short guy with the helmet with white paintings on it is a Ukrainian and at the end when they gun down the Dirlewanger filth (best scene) there's a collaborator translator.

You're kinda missing the whole point though. It's not a "rite of passage," it's showing the effects that war has on the average human being.

It's easy to accept most war movie heroes killing baddies because we assign somewhat superhuman attributes to them, but when you take a character like Upham, a lowly clerk/translator who may be no different from you or me aside from a draft or social obligation to join the military, and drop him in a role like they did in the movie that he is completely unsuited for, it turns his whole world upside down and causes relation between character and audience on a more personal level. It's not the gaining of manhood, it's the loss of humanity, and using naive characters is the best way to drive that point home.

I'd like to see a Mickey Spillane movie/miniseries with historical events ingrained in it, maybe have Mike Hammer's war time service be the focus of a movie or episodes or have him break up a communist terrorist ring in New York or something like that

Only movie to get the Marine Corps right, this fucking movie was literally my own deployment to the sandbox

Boring, full of bullshit and random moments of violence

>checked
Sweet movie

My man

Paths of Glory (1957)
The Great Escape (1963)
Zulu (1964)
A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Das Boot (1981)
Come and See (1985)
Grave of the fireflies (1988)
Stalingrad (1993)
Flags of our fathers // Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)
Waltz with Bashir (2008)
The Hurt Locker (2009)
Restrepo (2010)
'71 (2015)
Dunkirk (2017)

Honary mentions to Band of Brothers and Generation Kill miniseries

Veeky Forums and /tv/ are my main boards kek

>Hurt Locker

why do these army guys not like the hurt locker?

I've never seen it, but is that a common sentiment among soldiers?

So many inaccuracies with rank, EOD clearing rooms when that is the job of the infantry, incorrect rank being put in certain parts of leadership. For a film that seemed to pride itself on being accurate, it's just wrong.

Here's an article from someone who heads IAVA. It wouldn't archive properly.

newsweek.com/veterans-why-hurt-locker-isnt-reality-75205

There is one, "the day of the siege", however it's utter shite

youtube.com/watch?v=X8zCv0AHnCs&t=3s

Russian civil war and general eastern european conflicts surrounding it need more films today, I don't know much besides Zhivago, Admiral, and Battle of Warsaw

youtube.com/watch?v=DstyaGotWFM

Besides, Spanish civil war and Falkland war deserve a good film.

They're Marines

This and so far its the only movie that got the attention it did about the Iraq War, personally I don't care but I would like to see an Apocalypse Now or Full Metal Jacket tier movie about the War in Iraq and Afghanistan.

That being said, I thought Lone Survivor was pretty good and we can't claim Jarhead because thats about Gulf 1

The real thing wasn't as bad as what you see in the movie.

Generation Kill's pretty badass. Never heard anyone bitch about that.

>tfw i think i have seen everything.
>tfw history is like crack

Someone recommend me something good that i couldnt possibly have seen. Preferably about European history like middle ages or renaissance.

Watch Agora.

Marketa Lazarova

Fuck forgot about Generation Kill, thats a great series about the invasion, I guess what I was trying to say was I wish there was a movie about the insurgency that happened afterwards. I know American Sniper took place during Fallujah but I'm more interested in what the average Marine infantryman was going through during that fight than Chris Kyle going after an Iraqi sniper that probably didn't even exist

>we will never get a modern War of 1812 movie ever

Is it because of the White House got burnt down to the ground by the Brits? I'm American btw.

it was really a very small part of a larger conflict

it's like asking why no one wants to make a film about austrialians fighting on some island against the greater backdrop of the second world war

Capitaine Conan is the movie that imo approaches the mood of WW1 the most, aesthetically speaking.

fantastic movie

Is American Sniper good? I haven't seen it.

Sgt Brad Colbert is what I always associate Alexander Skarsgård with.

I didn't like it, especially knowing all the shit-flinging surrounding Chris Kyle before he bought it, I would've rather followed the story of a Marine rifleman squad in Fallujah than Chris Kyle tbqh

Queen Margot

I suggest watching the estonian ww2 movie "1944". It gives an insight what estonians lived through back then.;

>Neo-marxist faggots would screech autistically about how Islamaphobic it is.

Battleground! and A Bridge Too Far are great Veeky Forums Kino. The best part about Battleground! is that it features actual veterans and standing members of the 101st.