How do we feel about Rome Veeky Forums

What are all of your honest thoughts about Rome?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goths#Migrations_and_contact_with_Rome
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgundians#Background
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandals#Origins
polishgenes.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-slavic-like-diet-of-wielbark.html
polishgenes.blogspot.com/2013/05/polish-goths-enjoyed-their-millet-while.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

*Sacks your shitty """""Empire""""" *
Nothing personnel, kid.

So what are your thoughts my good man?

Shitty, since it doesn't exist to this day, all the work was for nothing.

it was big sort of

Destroyed cooler pagan europe desu

for you..

Both Rome an Christianity were better before it become the state religion

NON EST ME
NON EST ME
NON EST SENATORIS FILIUS

bugs... lay off the imperium

Here they come

Oh that was quick *takes your whole Empire and gets back in time for lunch*

what's for lunch

>when you're so eternally arse blasted that "vandal" still has negative connotations to this day

how bad do you think life got that they actually packed up and left in those mixed tribes

I used to be a lot more interested in them as a kid. Now I've been put off because of Romanboos who say stupid shit like "the Dark Ages were the worst setback in the history of humanity" or "a Roman legion from Caesar's time could defeat the army of Genghis Khan/Timur/Prince Edward/Joan of Arc/Richard I/" (insert any other medieval military leader with a 1,000+ year tech edge).

Gothic had a negative connotation when it was first applied to architecture too

ROMANS! ROMANS GET OUT OF GREECE! GET THE FUCK OUT! OUT, OUT, OUT! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Sæhrímnir

The Jew loathing sun worshipper Constantine made the error to turn the religion in which the Jewish god gets killed by the Romans because of their own fault into a state religion, because now most Europeans believe in this jewish god. If tbe Romans were less competetive, like the Greeks, we might never have had the dark ages.

NOBODY DEFEATS GENGHIS KHAN! Reeeeeeeee

>god damned mongoloid

I'm glad it ended.
How it ended up being a term for a romantic 70s subculture?

They were a fairly interesting civilization that is integral to any discussion of the culture and development of Europe. Also Byzaboo4Lyfe

>How it ended up being a term for a romantic 70s subculture?
They drew inspiration from 18th and 19th century Gothic horror genre, which itself got its name because it frequently used Gothic architecture as a setting.

Really? Nobody acknowledges the ingeniousness of this post?

it destroyed the language and culture of my celtic ancestors, so i'm not to found of it

10/10 would do again

I was a massive Romeaboo as a kid, but I've mellowed out into a Greekaboo.
I still love reading about them, especially the Late Republic and Julio-Claudians.

Lol, faggot

>Patrician Tier
Dominate, Kingdom

>Pleb Tier
Republic, Principate

my ancestors :)

This is just hipsterism. There's a lot more written about the Principate and the Republic for us to enjoy.

>acknowledging a worthless post

incredible reasoning, you should write history books

>chapter 1, theyre all dead it doesnt matter
>chapter 2, still dead nothing matters
etc

>Poles
>Vandals and Goths
Nice joke buddy, both of them came from Scandinavia as is written in their own history.

Hhahaahaahahhahahaa

They were cool in that they were a military powerhouse who conquered a gigantic empire together and that they also built infrastructure for the conquered peoples.
They were less cool because they destroyed unique cultures left and right and also because their perfidiousness caused unnecessary chaos and suffering for their people.

*pillage your city*

You grant your favours to Parthians, you grant them to Germans, you grant them, Caelia, to Dacians, and you do not spurn the couch of Cilicians and
Cappadocians ; and for you from his Egyptian city comes sailing the gallant of Memphis, and the black Indian from the Red Sea; nor do you shun the lecheries of circumcised Jews, and the Alan on his Sarmatian steed does not pass you by. What is your reason that, although you are a Roman girl, no Roman lewdness has attraction for you ?

whatever you say, the gothic kingdom was in spain, not northern or eastern europe, and spaniards are the only true descendant of goths as is evident in their architecture, language and rich history of sacking and razing

Why would you let other people dictate what you take interest in?

Wow Poles sure are stupid. No wonder you you Slavshits are called the Mexicans of Europe.

>The GERMANIC tribe Goths

>Around 160 AD, in Central Europe, the first movements of the Migration Period were occurring, as Germanic tribes began moving south-east from their ancestral lands at the mouth of River Vistula, putting pressure on the Germanic tribes from the north and east. As a result, in episodes of Gothic and Vandal warfare Germanic tribes (Rugii, Goths, Gepids, Vandals, Burgundians, and others)[15] crossed either the lower Danube or the Black Sea, and led to the Marcomannic Wars,[16] which resulted in widespread destruction and the first invasion of what is now Italy in the Roman Empire period.[17] It has been suggested that the Goths maintained contact with southern Sweden during their migration.[18] Goths also served in the Roman military and played a limited role, e.g. Gainas.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goths#Migrations_and_contact_with_Rome

>The GERMANIC tribe Burgundians

>The Burgundians (Latin: Burgundiōnes, Burgundī; Old Norse: Burgundar) were a large East Germanic or Vandal tribe, or group of tribes, who lived in the area of modern Poland in the time of the Roman Empire.

>Before clear documentary evidence begins, the Burgundians may have originally emigrated from mainland Scandinavia to the Baltic island of Bornholm, and from there to the Vistula basin, in the middle of modern Poland.[3]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgundians#Background

>The GERMANIC tribe Vandals.

>The Vandals, an East Germanic tribe or group of tribes, first appear in history as inhabiting present-day southern Poland, but later moved around Europe, successively establishing kingdoms in Spain and in North Africa in the 5th century.[1]

>The Vandals are believed to have migrated from southern Scandinavia[2][3][4] to the area between the lower Oder and Vistula somewhere in the 2nd century BC, and to have settled in Silesia from around 120 BC.[4] The earliest mention of the Vandals is from Pliny the Elder, who used the term Vandilii in a broad way to define one of the major groupings of all Germanic peoples. Tribes within this category who he mentions are the Burgundiones, Varini, Carini (otherwise unknown), and the Gutones.[14] According to the Gallaecian Christian priest, historian and theologian Paulus Orosius, the Vandals, who lived originally in Scoringa, near Stockholm, Sweden, were of the same stock as the Suiones ("Swedes") and the Goths.[15]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandals#Origins

A strange mixture of a hyper civilized society utilizing advanced political and infrastructural developments mixed with a savagery and fanaticism towards war that would make vikings blush. It's a society of dichotomies, but I find their contributions to civilization to outweigh the negatives. What they achieved is a marvel, and their legacy is nearly unmatched by any other civilization.

Plus, they're aesthetic as fuck.

Looking at those pictures makes me wonder if they got their ears cut off often in combat.

Nice try wiki honey. That's not what genetic research shows.

Vampire, without the host, it dies.

stop pretending to be me :@

No sorry, you were always worthless.

No sorry, Vandals were like East and West Slavs in terms of Y-DNA. Their diet was also Slavic.

Proofs?

polishgenes.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-slavic-like-diet-of-wielbark.html
polishgenes.blogspot.com/2013/05/polish-goths-enjoyed-their-millet-while.html

>inb4 muh blogspot
there are source below

Suck my dick cockroach.

wrong version of filius it needs a different ending, filium because it's a direct object

Probably my favorite period of history and I wish people would stop appropriating it for everything because everything about the ancient world is so radically different than ours so any comparisons to modern people or events are inherently going to be facile.

Please stop, I am seriously frustrated with people impersonating me at this point. I'm literally shaking.

>Implying court panegyrics dedicated to Stilicho didn't reach peak form until post-284.
>Being too plebeian to appreciate panegyrics

>Implying the best travel poems weren't written until the Dominate (De Reditu Suo)
>Implying Dominate hasn't the best historians: Ammianus Marcellinus, Aurelius Victor, Eutropius, Zosimus, and Jordanes
>Implying Dominate hasn't the best dialogues (Saturnalia)
>Implying Dominate hasn't the best military treatise (Vegetius)
>Implying Dominate hasn't the best chefs: Apicius
>Implying Dominate hasn't the best commentaries on Cicero's dream of Scipio

Educa te, pleb.

They were cunts.

Deserved to be wiped out brutally, sad their end was more mundane and didn't occur during the Republic.

All of you are clueless. Rome spread civilization throughout Europe. They were building the Colosseum and the Pantheon while your ancestors were (most likely) living in mud huts. They brought peace throughout the Mediterranean, ruling as a hegemonic power for centuries, while also making great strides in law, literature, and engineering. Barbarians like you should know your place.

Most of the combat was done with thrusting so not very often, and helmets had a tiny flap over the opening anyway.

>Implying Romans were any more brutal and wicked than the endless barbarie and bloodthirst of those surrounding them

Literally no one back then didn't dish out violence and savagery when the opportunity arose. Celts would raid and pillage, Greek would conquer and enslave, Persians would corrupt and steal. Romans weren't the good guys, they were just the best at playing the game, and they seized the ultimate prize.

To the Samnites, the Etruscans, the Epireans, the Carthaginians, the Iberians, the Egyptians, the Syrians, the Macedonians, the Seleucids, the Gauls, the Germans... Vae Victis.

Sup niggas