What went wrong with Spain...

What went wrong with Spain? Why did it go from dominating the world once to be on the verge of becoming a failed state nowadays?

It happened slowly
First Rocroi ended their European domination
Then Napoleon eneed their colonial empire
And then the Civil War and its outcome ended their prosperity

>inflation from the mass amount of gold they were bringing in
>spending extensively on their navy
>Hapsburg control and the later war of the Spanish succession
>Napoleon destroying their army and becoming a puppet state
>pretty much all of their colonies breaking off during the occupation
>constant civil wars
>siestas

they weren't able to industrialise further so with the emergence of industrial warfare they stopped being a threat to anyone

Hispania non dominitere in past in present et in futur. Exego non publicere fals informar.

Is this his related?

Nope
It's humanities tho

Inbred Hapsburgs and revolting Dutchmen.

>overexpansion
>failure to prooerly integrate newly acquired terrirotires into a viable imperial framework
>losing millions of $ in gold when a galleon goes down between cuba and madrid
>far-flung colonies with no rapid communication network in place
if you look at the state of latin-american economies today you can see what happened: the spanish aristocracy exploited the whole of the new world south of the rio grande and latin america still hasn't recovered from its days as a source of mined and repurposed gold in which industry took a backseat to the acrquisition of specie for the spanish crown
when spain lost its new world possessions over the course of the 19th century it lost its greatest sources of revenue.

>build your empire on inca gold
>run out of inca gold
>collapse

>inca
> gold
Either way Spain was alredy the most powerful country in Europe way before America was colonized.

whiel it's true that copper is a major industry in the andes it's weird of you to imply that the inca didn't have gold

Failure to industrialize coupled with military defeats tripled with loss of empire = very sad spain

first pick up a history book, second spain is not a failed state. also,
this person is a retard

sage

>aristocracy exploited the whole of the new world south of the rio grande and latin america still hasn't recovered
Lol bullshit excuses
Its corrupt govt and US puppets

t. Alberto Barbóz

lol good fucking joke, the USA didn't even exist until 1776, you're right that contemporary american policy has had a role in keeping latin-america down but you can't pin the Spanish Crown's failure to develop the new world properly prior to 1776 on a government that didn't exist yet. wel, youcan, but you'd be wrong to d so.

Maybe in Central america, but South America has benefited greatly from trade with the US. Chile exported great quantities of wheat to the US (and Australia) in the mid 19th century, and fertilizers in the late 19th and early 20th century.

???? Source?
The US and Australia were major wheat exporters

Their wealth was squandered on several wars. Some were victorious but never with a justifiable prize.

They also never reformed quickly enough, the church and established aristocracy were very resistent to change.

They also treated their colonies poorly. Alot of their issues in South America could have been avoided with a lighter hand.

Napoleon squashing them like a bug was just the cherry on top. In reality they were well past their prime then.

During the Napoleonic wars they could not stop French armies maneuvring through their territory and independence movements immediately followed, though like the Dutch the Spanish held on to island territories like the Philippines and Cuba.

They lost the Philippines and Cuba later for similar reasons, new technology changed the way wars were fought again and lacking the large manufacturing centers of their northern neighbors they could not maintain their status as a major power and suppress rebellions.

>Chile, the country where Pinochet happened
>As a counterexample to disprove the argument that Latin-American countries have been run by US puppets
hmm
methinks you don't understand what's being discussed here

Cause Spaniards are inferior.

That´s what you wanted to read.

No investments
High autonomy
Fractured European territories

Argentina did benefit from the end of the Spanish monopoly by exporting beef and wheat to Britain becoming one of the richest countries in the world by 1900s. It was an "Honorary Dominion" of sorts.

US influence in *South* America was very limited up to WW2, these countries were in the British area of influence.

It was mostly silver and mercury what the Spaniards exploted there. There were very few gold mines in the Andes

Bad leadership
Also Spain is not a failed state, the catalans chimp out is just a joke

>Argentina did benefit from the end of the Spanish monopoly by exporting beef and wheat to Britain becoming one of the richest countries in the world by 1900s. It was an "Honorary Dominion" of sorts.

They even were considered part of the Anglo world

So you agree with me
And yet the Inca still had gold. Which is my entire point. There's no reason to scoff at that unless you're comparing them to the Aztecs.

WE WENT DOWN SLOWLY KILLING OURSELFS, AND YET WE SURVIVED

WE ARE THE TRULY HEIRS OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE. ESPAÑA INVICTA

>taking the identity of your conquerors

Lol, you all copied

not if you become and surpass your conquerors

Fuck of all of you

>America caused all of Latin America's problems
>America existed and was ruled by Spain in 1500

>Dominican knowing anything except sugar cane, baseball, and cigars.
>Dominican even knowing their own colonial history

I would expect this ignorance from a Haitian, not a "Dominican"

>Ohhhh evil Imperial Americans in Latin America
>The Soviets totally weren't doing the same thing bro
>Che was a such an intellectual
>Being this retarded

America has done more for Latin America than Spain, Portugal, or the USSR. The leftists are what continues to hold Latin America back.

honestly haitians are probably better than use, have more class, better history, hell, all we were to haitians was a bunch of troublemakers

they used to be a lot wealthier than us too

Inca gold was irrelevant.

*us

You obviously dont know shit about dominican, hispanic or haitian history. So, shut the fuck up.

You are fast

you just can't handle the truth, haiti was even richer than usa, their revolution was glorious and they were doing well until the french put them in debt, meanwhile us dominicans were always poor and never did anything great like the haitian revolution, we were such cucks we let spain colonise us again, and we wouldn't have been able to free ourselves from spanish oppression if it wasn't for haitians

>Haitians are better than us
>Implying that statement could ever be true
>implying Trujillo did anything wrong.

>Haiti was this great place with a bad-ass revolution -Marxist

Haiti was an example of not biting the hand that feeds you, and why "glorious revolution" should never be left up to uneducated peasants. If Haiti had not murdered Frogs, and actually exported their sugar, Haiti would have had a chance of being an economic powerhouse in the Antilles.

Instead it's just AIDS and poverty.

trujillo was responsible for the death of 50,000 people, and most of them were not haitians but dominicans

he oppressed dominicans worse than haitians ever did

>haiti was even richer than usa, their revolution was glorious

Yes, thats way they're a shithole now.
Kys self hater retard. I proud about my hispanic heritage.

i don't think i ever said anything about the soviet union
if you don't understand my point then you literally are not qaulified to speak on this topic
i mean ffs i'm not saying
>muh evil american empire
i'm saying
>muh mismanagement by spaniards
i mean you must not even have a brain, desu

anyway my point is that you have to be fucking retarded to hear something about the way a global hegemonic power operates and respond by sayihng 'WTF their rivals do the same thing!' y7es obviously they do, it's a general principle: exploitation is necessary for economic groth. you're a fucking idiot if you think that this is supposed to mean the same as 'every major economy is evil.' i have mixe dopnions about the policies of my government (usa) but you'd have to vbe looking to pick a fight to come in like you've done instead of realizing that there is a higher unity of form to the activities of the Soviets and Americans and Chinese: they are competing for domination of spaces within the same universal framework in wich the same economic principles and laws of nature govern all activities. or are you some kidn of
also i never mentioned che, but imo he is chris mccandless-tier (i.e. good riddance)

Hispanics are a naturally lazy race of people due to african admixture

>actually exported their sugar,

they couldn't because of the embargo you retard.

The embargo woudl have happens no matter what because Hiati was important to France and they lost a lot of money on it. France didn't do the embargo because of "muh dead citizens"

Here's the thing is that after Haiti first fought for freedom France spot revolution okay'd it and Louveture became governor and was part of France then Napoleon later on decided to reestablish slavery in Haiti.

Haiti had huge issues because when you WHOLE ECONOMY relied on SLAVE LABOUR WITH MASSIVE DEATH TOLLS when suddenly slavery and everyone is equal you can't make the same profits at all especially with the problems that come with a slav-ebased economy (hyper focus on plantations)