Has there ever been a civilization that didn't widely frown upon suicide?

Has there ever been a civilization that didn't widely frown upon suicide?

Lots of societies saw suicide as a way to exonerate shame.

Japan, Ancient Greece and Rome, Greenland, or Finland maybe

>Has there ever been a civilization that didn't widely frown upon suicide?
You're kidding right? It's pretty much just the abrahamic faiths that are extremely anti-suicide.

Japan, especially from about the 13th century to the early 20th century.

Oh, it's important to note though that it depended on how you killed yourself. Hanging was not really considered very proper, even for non-samurai. Even before the samurai took over the country suicide was heavily romanticized in Japan, but in all the plays and stories people either used poison or stabbed themselves or jumped off a cliff.

Even that is pretty much a manufactured thing as the obvious outcome of following Christian theology is to kill yourself.

Islam openly encourages it

Phoenicians/Carthaginians. Dido (at least by legend but still shows it had deep meaning to them) committed suicide along with some important generals. Usually by jumping into a fire.

There is no real consensus on whether or not the Quran gives permission to kill yourself during jihad, all it really says is that you are allowed to die for the cause

Seppuku and suicide are two different things culturally in Japan, unless you're dying to attone for your shame it wasn't acceptable

Jihad in the Quran doesn't have the same meaning as what burgerland meme'd it into

Yes it does. Although I fully support your attempt to pretend it doesn't and to spread your meme.

Jihad does mean holy war, but it also has a much wider meaning and doesn't necessarily include holy war or even conflict. I think islam is a rubbish ideology by the way so don't call me an apologist or whatever.

>Jihad does mean holy war, but it also has a much wider meaning and doesn't necessarily include holy war or even conflict

Not really, although I respect what you are saying and fully support your attempt to spread this idea.

you could start by defining what you mean by suicide then, retard because apparently your definition of suicide is too convoluted and unintuitive for people to understand implicitly.

It is you who is wrong. Everything you think and 'know' about 'jihad' is wrong, distorted, or outright taken out of context.

Ok bye.

Not even true, bye then.

Dido never existed, I don't know of important Carthaginians that killed themselves, Hannibal didn't kill himself despite losing against Rome, neither did Malco who was executed when he came back from his failed invasion of Sardinia

No, the obvious outcome of following christian theology is to kill people before they can sin or have the chance to sin anew.

Hannibal killed himself way later when roman agents caught up with him.

>Has there ever been a civilization that didn't widely frown upon suicide
China

>Hannibal didn't kill himself
You fuckin' what? Yes he fucking did, he poisoned himself. Another general in a previous war jumped into fire once his side was losing. The fact they only used a few names makes it more difficult to remember the exact general, but it was during the Sicilian wars to my memory.

>Finland

wut

all european cultures did not care for suicide.

Whenever it was done was for honour reasons