Why did Sumerians have such big eyes? O_O

Why did Sumerians have such big eyes? O_O

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qtKOPF0NyHg
oi.uchicago.edu/sites/oi.uchicago.edu/files/uploads/shared/docs/oic19.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

dysgenics

Haven't you read The Shadow over Innsmouth?

Opium

They were toons.
youtube.com/watch?v=qtKOPF0NyHg

People back then had senses of humor too.

They saw the gods

Aliens

achyually the sumerians used these votive statues to substitute themselves in their city temples, and the eyes are intentionally large to represent the peoples' eternal wakefulness for the arrival of their god. these are from tell asmar, iraq, and their god was anu

>achyually the sumerians used these votive statues to substitute themselves in their city temples, and the eyes are intentionally large to represent the peoples' eternal wakefulness for the arrival of their god.
I don't know why you're presenting that like it's the confirmed definitive explanation when the actual guy who led the excavation of these said those two statues in OP's pic were of the god and goddess the other statues were made in devotion to.
And in fact he specifically argues this is the case because those two statues have such unnaturally large eyes, which completely contradicts your "wakefulness for the arrival of their god" explanation since he thought all the other ones *without* large eyes were the ones standing in for worshipers.
oi.uchicago.edu/sites/oi.uchicago.edu/files/uploads/shared/docs/oic19.pdf
>These cult statues are distinguished from the rest, which represent worshipers, not only by the indications of their identity already described, but also by the exceptional size of their eyes, which consist of disks of black limestone set with bitumen into eyeballs cut from shell.

Can we get more of people like this And less of this

Unless there are texts from that civilization explaining the significance of the statues, all you have is glorified fan fiction.

they wuz ayy

Eat shit and die you obnoxious faggot.

Ancient Sumerians had more alien dna than we do (due to the genetic infusion being more recent and not diluted by hundreds of generations of breeding with pure humans), having extremely large eyes was one of the traits associated with it.

The first anime

thredd

Imagine being this butt hurt about the truth

authority is enforced by eye contact, hence kings and gods were represented with big eyes

spooky

spooky

I wonder why...

D-d-does that mean Sumerians are with us right now!? They are weebs as well?!!!!

too much anime

N-N-N-NANI????!!!!

Those aren't Sumerians, they're sculptures of gods. Why did they sculpt their gods with huge eyes? Probably to suggest their all-seeing nature, much as Hindus sculpt their gods with multiple heads / arms to suggest their superhuman capabilities.

After reaching the Far East and inspiring the local arts with their entrancing saucer eyes, they seduced all the women, Chad-like, migrated to Europe and gave rise to the perfectly-sized-eyed white race.

Weebs

O__O

ALL THE BETTER TO SEE YOU WITH, MY DEAR.

OwO, what's this ?

Too much reading. Get it?

>I don't know why you're presenting that like it's the confirmed definitive explanation
>when the actual guy who led the excavation of these said

Arent you doing exactly what the OP you were responding to did? Only you're taking your definitive conclusion from ONE (early) scholarly interpretation.

I dont deny that they could be gods but without context or other forms of evidence other interpretations seem pretty valid.

pingers

JOHJ

Remind me of ancient Sardinian statues

No, I didn't do the same thing because I explicitly qualified the explanation I posted as being an opinion from a specific person (the guy who led the excavation), unlike with the post I responded to which said "actually, it's this" like that answer was somehow a confirmed fact when it isn't even the mainstream opinion.
I honestly don't know how you could interpret those two approaches as similar.

Where did user ever say "actually, it's this"? He never said it was a confirmed fact. Thats on you.

Anons post isnt any worse than .

Do you have a problem with the claims made here?

>Where did user ever say "actually, it's this"?
In his post. Where are you looking other than his post that you didn't see it?
Here:
>achyually the sumerians used these votive statues to substitute themselves in their city temples, and the eyes are intentionally large to represent the peoples' eternal wakefulness for the arrival of their god

> Ancient Aliens

bad post

good post

virgin post

excellent post

Anime Uguu

Trance. It was a form of prayer they did to please their Gods

The Byzantines went through an anime phase too

I was told this in an art history class, it must be true.

okay post

ayy lmao

O O
_

Wait... You tellin' me we wuz anime and shieeeet?

They were faggots.

symbolizing the digestive troubles plaguing their cvilization
constipation was a frequent and ill welcomed guest in these troubling times