What did people do in their free time before modern media?

What did people do in their free time before modern media?

Just drink and fuck?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dqXmaFPn604
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

die of the plague

Sail to Sardinia.

read

youtube.com/watch?v=dqXmaFPn604

Make Africa threads

Literacy was rare before modernity.

probably fuck and drink, but im just basing this on all of the medieval/fantasy stories I grew up with.

so really, idk.

I was born in the 80s and I have no clue why am I grouped together as a """millennial""" with people born in the mid 90s, we have nothing in common. How the fuck do I belong in the same group as people who can't imagine the world without internet and cell phones?

modern media includes TV and radio retard

Not so in Renaissance-era Amsterdam.

Did you just call a 30-year-old man a retard

Even still. Swimming pools, restaurants, books, magazines, tabletop games, hiking, biking, gym, church, football, basketball, shooting, garden work, there's about a million things you can do without electrionic media.

But the question was about modern media

>Just drink and fuck?
Judging by the behavior of primitive parts of the world today, yes.

You realise modern doesn't mean contemporary right? The modern era started in the 16th century.

Yeah and? Football was already played in the middle ages for example.

Exception to the rule desu.

it's called early modern.
it makes no sense to lump in the industrial world with 16th-18th century history

So what exactly are modern media besides TV, radio and internet? Books already existed back then, so did theatre (which was more accessible to plebs than it is now).

Op said free time not all of their time.

Maybe the concept of free time is a modern concept

Then work is also a modern concept

they wittled

Plebs didnt read back then. Theatre is a good one though

>the saddest thing about men...well, no, one of the saddest thing about men is the way they age...some of them. do you know what it is with insane people? ... the quiet ones?
>no.
>they don't change. they don't grow old.
>they must!
>well, eventually, probably, yes. but they don't...in the usual sense. They maintain a ... firm-skinned serenity...the under-use of everything leaves them...quite whole.
>Are you recommending it?
>No. Some things are sad, though. But ya just gotta buck up and face 'em, that's all.

They invented shit, amassed knowledge, worked for the feudal lords who owned their asses, and barring that colonized uninhabited parts of the world (which there were plenty of well into the 19th/20th century)

Seeing how many of themselves they could stuff into phone booths.

Collected filth

Jesusfucking Christ, go outside you fat fuck

Born in kinda early/mid 90's.
I didn't get broadband internet until 2010 (the year I moved out), fuck my family didn't have a DVD player before 2008. Most truly rural people I've met had similar or even more bucolic lives.
> homecoming night my friends and I got caught throwing Molotovs out of a truck then drove it into the woods and hid

>can't answer the question

I USED TO LOVE KICKING THE SHIT OUT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE FAGS LIKE YOU BACK IN
COLLEGE. I HAVE A QUESTION THOUGH HAVE YOU EVER FUCKED A "GIRL" THAT WAS UNDER
200 POUNDS. I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THAT PUSSY BOY SOFTWARE GEEK THAT YOU SUCK
OFF UNDER YOUR CUBICLE. I DON'T KNOW IF I SHOULD WRITE THIS EMAIL YOU MIGHT
HAVE YOUR POSSE OF KLINGON WARRIORS SHOOT INVISIBLE LASERS AT ME. BY THE WAY
DOES YOUR MOM KNOW YOU HAVE THIS SITE. SHE'S NOT GONNA TAKE YOU TO THE STAR
TREK CONVENTION NEXT YEAR IN DENVER IF YOU KEEP THIS UP YOUNG MAN. WELL IT WAS
NICE EMAILING YOU. KEEP SUCKING DICK MAYBE SOME DAY YOUR DAD WILL ACTUALLY PAY
YOU FOR IT.

Gamble. Europe owns to gambling their fascinating architecture.

People used to actually CREATE ART back in those days, especially because there wasn't that much to consume. Now it's all consumption all the time, and everything is created by committee for maximum profit.

sophmore in college

What is modern media?

Before the internet? Before the TV? Before the electricity?

When I was young, we played football, raced one another, talked face to face and played other sports. The older ones would talk to each other, visit friends and relatives, etc. People associated more face to face, basically.

And at least in my country we were prude-ish. Any woman who slept with more than one guy was "used goods".

Drinking was a big one, especially in rural areas. Almost every premodern society was obsessed with gambling as well.

What do you mean by this? Do you think people grow out of being retarded?

not that rare in Rome

>Until recently it was thought that the majority of people were illiterate in ancient times. However, recent work would challenge this perception.[15] Anthony DiRenzo asserts that Roman society was "a civilization based on the book and the register", and "no one, either free or slave, could afford to be illiterate".[16] Similarly Dupont points out, "The written word was all around them, in both public and private life: laws, calendars, regulations at shrines, and funeral epitaphs were engraved in stone or bronze. The Republic amassed huge archives of reports on every aspect of public life".[17]

They had these things called friends. A novel concept really, but they played games and socialized with them.

>Friends
Nice try, there was no Facebook back then