Is it true that during the fall of Constantinople some people said "fuck it" and turned to Zeus in their desperation?

Is it true that during the fall of Constantinople some people said "fuck it" and turned to Zeus in their desperation?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemistus_Pletho
youtube.com/watch?v=vY7Y4W78-ig
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domovoi
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownie_(folklore)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It is almost certain that a large number of christians turn their back on hebrew mythology when they realise that their Abrahamic God isn't going to save them

This was literally hundreds of years after anybody had been worshipping Zeus.

It still must have been in the mind of the people though. They must have known some of the old stories.

Ego lingere latein non greac. Ego likere de pictur.
Ego likere Zeus causa Zeus est pater de ego.

Zeus is a shithead who hates humans. Why the fuck would anyone turn to him?

I like to think the King of Olympus just kicked back and laughed at the ungrateful bastards

Byzantium expert here.

Yes totally

I remember hearing about some Byzantine general or duke who advocated returning to Hellenic paganism toward the end of the Empire, but I can't really find anything about it.

Well if people on Greek islands still considered themselves Romans in the early 20th think this is possible.

A Greek poster said they still use "Romans" sparingly.

Yes.

this guy suggested they turn back to the old gods, but no one took him seriously

Hellenes>Romios

prove me wrong. Pro tip: you cant

It's true, in their last moments they revealed themselves as non-romans and turned back to their greek shit.

More like a thousand years. Did they even remember Zeus at that point ?

the latest recorded offering to zeus was in 1038 a.d. i think.

Of course they knew everything about him. Also keep in mind tha t guy was educated by people in the east who were sort of pagan.
He did not just come up with all of this, but most likely had teachers.

Neopagans say that their religious practices remained hidden throughout the ages

Knowing some of the old stories =/= believing in their possible accuracy.
After more than a millenia of teaching that all other gods are demons in disguise it would've made no sense for a person to abandon christianity for paganism. If anything they would've flirted with islam.

Mate, they were refered to as romans during the ottoman empire aswell. If I'm not mistaken it wasn't untill the greek national movement that they reverted to the label of greek.

>Neopagans say that their religious practices remained hidden throughout the ages
So does muslims, and we all know that that's horseshit.

its entirely possible though

Apparently offerings to heathen devils were made in England during the plague

It's an unfalsifieable claim. Untill they provide solid evidence for it there's no reason to accept it.

Yeah, just like how when modern people are in trouble they cry out "Save me Gandalf!!!", right?

I'd genuinely like to see a citation for that?

In Sweden rural people made offerings to supernatural house entitites well into modernity.

Under no circumstance would they have turned their back on God, Constantinople was Mary's City, the Queen of Cities, they saw that Mary would and did defend them. Only until they fell did they say that Mary had stopped defending the city and taken her crown back up to heaven

Anyone Who was wealthy read the greek and Latin classics

Bump, this is interesting.

This madman did.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemistus_Pletho
>After his return to the Peloponnese, Gemistos founded a school. He taught polytheism as opposed to monotheism, and some of his students prayed to statues of the pagan deities.[2]
>Plethon's own summary of the Nómoi also survived, amongst manuscripts held by his former student Bessarion. This summary, titled Summary of the Doctrines of Zoroaster and Plato, affirms the existence of a pantheon of gods, with Zeus as supreme sovereign, containing within himself all being in an undivided state;
>Pletho drew up plans in his Nómoi to radically change the structure and philosophy of the Byzantine Empire in line with his interpretation of Platonism. The new state religion was to be founded on a hierarchical pantheon of Pagan Gods, based largely upon the ideas of Humanism prevalent at the time, incorporating themes such as rationalism and logic.

zeus gives boons to mortal men constantly and has sex with their women all the time.
since when does he hate humans?

My mistake it was a plague during the time of Bede not "the" plague. It's in the Ecclesiastical History of the English People but I can't remember which particular book.

>Pletho drew up plans in his Nómoi to radically change the structure and philosophy of the Byzantine Empire in line with his interpretation of Platonism. The new state religion was to be founded on a hierarchical pantheon of Pagan Gods, based largely upon the ideas of Humanism prevalent at the time, incorporating themes such as rationalism and logic.

isn't this the same thing as late Roman Neoplatonism?

Zeus is just the Greek's verson of the the same Sky Daddy as Yahweh. Rather, "God" was always just the European's interpretation of Yahweh.

DEUS = ZEUS = ZU (aka JU) PETER = DEUS PATER = GOD (the) FATHER

No. But during one of the sieges of Rome when it was sacked in the 5th centuries the Christian population turned to Etruscan pagan soothsayers. They were going to go back to worshipping the old gods, but I believe the Etruscans demanded a human sacrifice. The Christians then noped the fuck out and it all went to hell.

Different Byzantium expert here

No fucking way lol

Probably not, but a lot of people did learn to submit to God rather than defy him that day. If the Romans hadn't hated God then they would never have been conquered.

That's creepy as shit

vernacular cultures are pretty creepy

the last line in this song is
>Wann ich in mei Schpeicher kumm,
>Fa mei Better mache,
>Schteht des bucklich Mennli dadd
>Un fangt a zu lache

>When I go upstairs
>to make my beds
>the little humpback is there
>and starts to laugh

youtube.com/watch?v=vY7Y4W78-ig

Remember a certain mortal who brought down the knowledge of fire to the rest of humanity and was fated to live and die over and over again by Zeus for this "transgression"?

Why do you think that? I'm honestly curious. To me it've always seemed like a quaint rationalisation for why shit sometimes goes tits up.

Same reason they worship Yahweh?

Why did Abrahamic horseshit have to destroy true EVROPEAN CVLTVRE bros?

Not him, but unseen shit living in your house and you being expected to offer shit to it like it's superior to you? That's not going to fly, especially if I own the house.

Prometheus was a titan.

Same with Slavs.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domovoi

But you don't own the house, you're just the current tenant. The tomte was there well before you were born and will be there after you die. He's not all bad either. He protects the house and the well being of its animals. All he offers in return is that you treat him and the animals fairly. Don't curse him or get in his way and give him a bowl of porridge now and then and he shouldn't cause you any harm. The trolls, Näcken and skogsvrån are the real bad guys.

Prometheus wasn't a mortal, he was a Titan.

I doubt the Byzantines could even pronounce the word "Zeus".

Probably not as impressive but apparently lots of people in Rome tried the same thing when the Goths were attacking Italy.

>The Goths under Alaric laid siege to the city in late 408. Panic swept through its streets, and there was an attempt to reinstate pagan rituals in the still religiously mixed city to ward off the Visigoths.[52] Pope Innocent I even agreed to it, provided it be done in private. The pagan priests, however, said the sacrifices could only be done publicly in the Roman Forum, and the idea was abandoned.[53]

I imagine many still sacrificed privately.

I would also like to add that I doubt a similar thing occurred in Constantinople as it was a Christian city built by Christian people for Christians. Unlike Rome it did not have a strong tradition of pagan practices. Pagan priests were nonexistent by this point as well, the last recorded hellenic sacrifice occured centuries earlier in a different area of Greece.

While it is possible that an educated group of cultists kept it going I doubt it.

Tl;dr of the thread: the abrahamic god and his expansion packs (Jesus, Allah, etc) is just horseshit that doesn't exists and never protected anybody from anything

K, but a decent amount of people built their own houses while people believed in these things. So why would my house have one at that point?

Still giving knowledge of fire to humans, which the Olympians didn't want.

No, Varg, nobody did that gay LARPing shit then and nobody genuinely believes in that shit now, including yourself.

It definitely shaped western society so its not like it was completely meaningless

>Byzantines were (solely) responsible for the transmission of archaic Greek mythology to the modern era
>b-but they didn't know zeus guys lol ecks dee

I hate this board sometimes.

I wouldn't say those words m8, western civilization started with the Romans and would have continued if they were christian or not

I'm not sure that it would. Some people hold to the version that the tomte is the original owner who for some reason didn't want to leave his farm post mortem.

People actually do. That's what's so funny.

That's not at all a certainty. Without the unifiying force of the church there's no real reason why Europe would have a common interstatial connection after the fall of the Roman Empire. This is especially true for the parts of Europe that wasn't formerly roman.

Western civilization was made by the same people who hammered Jesus onto the cross.

Why does this meme endure? Nearly a thousand years of feudalism and theocratic inquisitions and kingdoms, yet you think Christians did it in the name of Western virtues? That is simply not true. Christians take way too much credit for shit they have nothing to do with.

House spirits are actually rather common mythological creatures
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownie_(folklore)

See While christianity didn't create the western world it certainly maintained and spread it.

Christianity is a western religion therefore its part of western civilization.

It spread it to countries that later became western societies. I can name many societies that are Catholic but not western. Western virtues, I'd argue, were brought back in secular, decentralising movements like the French Revolution and American Revolution.

Well, yeah, but people argue that Christianity BUILT western virtues and principles, which is not true at all. That's just Catholics wewuzzing Romans.

I'm not arguing that though

I see. But, many people still believe that Christianity CREATED western principles, which is simply not true

I see. But, many people still believe that Christianity CREATED western principles, which is simply not true

*accidently replied to my own post*

This seems like something only christians would fall for.

Palestinians aren't western, sweetie.

It wasn't because the Gods hated humans, it was because fire was divine and belonged to the Gods.

>Is it true that
This implies that you heard this from somewhere, but you didn't hear this from somewhere, you made it up to bait on Veeky Forums.

No, we have no sources anywhere at all to suggest that anyone started praying to Zeus during the siege.

sage