Were the Vikings Muslims? New evidence says yes

Researchers in Sweden have found Arabic characters woven into burial costumes from Viking boat graves. The discovery raises new questions about the influence of Islam in Scandinavia, writes Swedish journalist Tharik Hussain.

Bew investigation into the garments - found in 9th and 10th Century graves - has thrown up groundbreaking insights into multicultural contact between the Viking and Muslim worlds.

Patterns woven with silk and silver thread have been found to spell the words "Allah" and "Ali".

The breakthrough was made by textile archaeologist Annika Larsson of Uppsala University while re-examining the remnants of burial costumes from Viking female boat and chamber graves originally excavated in Birka and Gamla Uppsala in Sweden in the late 19th and mid-20th centuries.

"I suddenly saw that the word 'Allah' [God] had been written in mirrored lettering," she says.

"We know from other Viking tomb excavations that DNA analysis has shown some of the people buried in them originated from places like Persia, where Islam was very dominant. It is likely that some Viking women took Muslim husbands.

"Now that I am looking at Viking patterns differently, I am convinced I will find more Islamic inscriptions in the remaining fragments from these excavations, and other Viking era textiles. Islam has always been part of Swedish culture.

bbc.com/news/world-europe-41567391

Other urls found in this thread:

uu.se/en/media/news/article/?id=9390&typ=artikel
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>robs a Muslim and takes their shit
>WOW THEY WERE TOTTALY MUSLIM GUISE!!!!!

>completely ignores the DNA evidence
>HURRR DURR IM BETTER THAN THE EXPERTS

>Swedish journalist Tharik Hussain.

>DNA evidence
>Viking robs someone and steals a Persian qt for his wife
Don't see the problem here

>Some viking women took muslim men as husbands

Other way around

>>Some viking women took muslim men as husbands
I never wrote that, learn2read dumbo
And religion isn't genetic

>swedish museums start destroying viking shit because theyve "got too much"
>suddenly start finding muslim artifacts

hmmst

"Evidence"

WE

>Were the Vikings Muslims? New evidence says yes
No it doesn't you dumbass baiter.

>the word 'Allah' [God] had been written in mirrored lettering
The state of academia.

WUZ

>Roman coins found in China
Holy shit the chinese wuz the true romans !

WIKANGZ

I know it's just bait but why do have to think in absolutes?
That there was contact between the muslim world and norsemen was never lost, we have desrcibtions of arab travellers interacting with them etc...
And also how do a couple random found artefacts change the view on the religion of varios peoples?
I know that in ancient history researchers do that all the time because of the lack of sources. But these guys are aware that their theories stand on a really low ground and are rather asumtions than "facts". I hope you do too.

The romans even write about china. It was a roman province for sure

Arabic is written from right to left.
Maybe it was mirrored to replicate this practice?

Sweden
yes

that quote is not in the original article, though

Thousands of professional and hardcore amateur archeologists have for the the last century studied every grave and every runestone. Everyone pretty consistent on how old Norse mythology was replaced by Christianity over the years/geography.

Suddenly a female SJW archeologist in the Multi-cultural Uppsala explains that Muslim inspired clothing almost proves the Vikings were moslems. While she claims her evidence can't be ignored - she happily ignores the last century of contradictory evidence.

Swedish media further changes the "scientific discovery" with every transcription made. Think by the next year, Sweden will be a described as a muslim colony, that diverged from it's glorious middle-east ancestry. (And we must accept that our forefathers comes to live here, since it's their colony after all.)

Uppsala University press release: uu.se/en/media/news/article/?id=9390&typ=artikel

This.

The timing is all to perfect for this discovery, don't you think? Sweden the epicenter for modern multi-culturalism suddenly discovers that it is and has always been Muslim. Anyone taking this as truth has to be retarded or has an agenda.

What? We know there were muslims who went to scandinavia, some scholars who are important sources of information on viking culture. How does one weaving of arabic characters show there was a significant muslim population?

they traded with muslims and even fought them. finding supposedly muslim inspired artifacts isn't that outlandish.

This can't be real

>Some tiny scraps of pattern woven/hidden into a cloth that even the researchers missed at first
>hmmm, I guess this shows just how wide the Vikings trad--
>WOW! YOU KNOW WHAT THIS PROVES? VIKINGS WERE MUSLIMS!!
>I'm Tharik Hussain, a totally impartial typical Swedish person, and this will totally rewrite what we know about Islam in Europe, the true home of Islam since forever
>No, they weren't illiterate Iron Age farmers who simply traded or raided some cloth from some Steppe nomads on the Volga, they verily believed in Allah and read His Holy Book the blessed Koran every night, dreaming of Muhammed (PBUH)

seriously, just horrible-tier journalism.

Oh, it's real. However, the author is a dried up fag hag and typical example of lefty Scandinavian self-loathing cultural cringe.

nice b8 m8

lol