What the fuck was this dude's deal?

What the fuck was this dude's deal?

Learning about civil rights history in middle school we never heard jackshit about him really, saw a couple of pictures of Funny Hat Black Rights Man and that was it. But holy moly, what a character.

W.E.B. DuBois
>Marcus Garvey is, without doubt, the most dangerous enemy of the Negro race in America and in the world. He is either a lunatic or a traitor.

Marcus Garvey
>I regard the Klan, the Anglo-Saxon clubs and White American societies, as far as the Negro is concerned, as better friends of the race than all other groups of hypocritical whites put together. I like honesty and fair play. You may call me a Klansman if you will, but, potentially, every white man is a Klansman as far as the Negro in competition with whites socially, economically and politically is concerned, and there is no use lying.

Way ahead of his time? Fraudulent nutcase? Let's talk Marcus Garvey! Other civil rights personalities are ok too, but please let's not have any "lol niggers xD" in this thread.

Hypocrisy is a lethal weapon, its better to know who is your real enemy

>I regard the Klan, the Anglo-Saxon clubs and White American societies, as far as the Negro is concerned, as better friends of the race than all other groups of hypocritical whites put together. I like honesty and fair play. You may call me a Klansman if you will, but, potentially, every white man is a Klansman as far as the Negro in competition with whites socially, economically and politically is concerned, and there is no use lying.

What did he mean by this?

That he accepted their ethnic-nationalist views and held like views about his own ethnic group -- just as KKK wanted white country for white people, he wanted black country for black people, and thus found their views more trustworthy on some level than white liberals who wanted to ameliorate conditions of the black underclass to keep them productive underclass to white society.

Garvey tended to promote the idea that blacks would never find success in the New World and should return to their ancestral homeland, Africa (not particularly giving a fuck about where in Africa, just Africa in general). And just coincidentally he so happened to run a shipping line that could take you there!

Garvey was /our guy/

He was a cooky guy in the long line of strange alternate paths the civil rights movement took. If we're talking zany ideas I think Booker T had more absurd ideas but that's just me.

It's valuable to point out why his "back to Africa" notions had such traction - prior to his prominence, a large number of prominent black leaders such as Booker T. Washington thought that black Americans could most effectively better their situation by essentially putting their heads down and trying to discredit the idea that they were inherently inferior by going above and beyond in dedication to work, education, service to the US, etc. Essentially, that they would make it blatantly obvious that the negative racist stereotypes about it were bullshit, resulting in tons of white people abandoning their prejudices in light of the clear evidence to the contrary. many thought that by demonstrating their heroism and dedication on the battlefield they would achieve respect and equality at home. That was a big motivator in units like the Harlem Hellfighters fighting so tenaciously and bravely during WWI.

The thing is, the US military kept treating them like garbage with substandard rations and equipment, making the black soldiers do all the grueling manual labor and similar demeaning tasks, snubbing them for medals and promotions, etc. These black soldiers were also shocked by how fairly brits, frogs, etc treated them by comparison. This made them even more disillusioned with the US.

As the war ended there were massive race riots and attacks on returning black veterans, to the point that many formed militias to survive. The Klan and other groups put out word that any black veteran that wore his uniform or medals would be lynched, and many were. Some came home to find that the missus and junior and had been "taken care of" by the KKK & co while they were gone, and were now coming for them next.

Throw in things like the burning of Tulsa and resurgence of the Klan, and Garvey's arguments that the US was a lost cause for black people and that they had to find a new homeland were persuasive.

This is a grade A post.

Thanks, militant black movements in the US are a historical interest of mine. If you have JSTOR access, read "Vanguards of the New Negro: African American Veterans and Post-World War I Racial Militancy." It does an excellent job at summarizing the contemporary political climate, armed resistance against lynchings, and the early history of groups that went on to inspire organizations like the Black Panthers.

>Some came home to find that the missus and junior and had been "taken care of" by the KKK & co while they were gone, and were now coming for them next.

citation needed

This.

Honestly, the treatment of black service members at the beginning of the century may be one of the most horrifying things to read about in regards to American history.

He was more of a Black Nationalist than a civil rights activist, like Malcolm X after him.

What I wonder is, why didn't white racists support the Back to Africa movement. Were they really content with the racial status quo and didn't think that things would change for the worse?

Sounds sensationalist, especially the part about their families getting lynched while they were away

WE

>Booker T. Washington

That was web Dubois.

Booker was compromise as in "we blacks don't agitate for equality, accept our status and don't strive for threading positions and you whites just treat us right". That didn't happen.

Nationalism is one hell of a drug.

Anti-black racism in the US wasn't of the genocidal variety (maybe not even today, definitely not at the time) but based on the exploitation of black labor. You don't get to make people work for shit wages if they just leave.

So what killed his argument? The Civil Rights act?

Don't have anything about lynching their families but given the time period I don't exactly doubt it.

Managed to find some further evidence

That he considered those groups to be transparent in their racism, and at least respected their propensity towards honesty if nothing else. Isn't that obvious?

Richard Wright discussed the back to africa movement at length in his auto-biography Black Boy (which is a great read btw), his basic consensus is that since sub saharan Africa is partitioned between European nations it's not realistic.

Partially. Even at the time of the Civil rights Act, Malcolm X was still arguing that a blacks had no place in white America and would be better off forming their own nation, one way or another.

Only as he got older he realized racial equality was a fool's game and economic equality was the real goal. MLK started the same transition before he was assassinated.

Ethnic separatists can often have respect for each other.

People like Malcolm Xcrement weren't ethnic separatists btw, just bullshitters who peddled similar rhetoric, but when push came to shove, backed down from putting their money where their mouth was.

Garvey was the last real Black Nationalist.

Some did. I don't know of any serious public figures who espoused it, but Lovecraft in his correspondence several times opined that it would be better for whites and blacks alike if blacks just got the fuck out of white people countries. And while he was a bit more openly racist than the norm he wasn't really a wingnut for his time -- at least not in regards to racial politics.

Someone knowledgeable post about the rastafari cult to Garvey

Lovecraft was a shut-in who eventually recanted his ignorance before his death

This. In fact, politicians actively sought to keep blacks here as a way of placating poor whites.

As LBJ said the poorest white man will give you the last nickel in their pocket if you can convince them they're better off than the niggers. Identity politics has been a part of America for a very long time.

>americans feared the black warrior

Literally /pol/. Dem dumb retards are played and used by con artists like Milo or Spencer who drain all their money yet they fall for them due to dumb memes