Did people suffer from battle fatigue in the 18th century?

did people suffer from battle fatigue in the 18th century?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FDNyU1TQUXg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes, in fact it wasn't uncommon to find troops that just took a position asleep. This is one of the reasons why you reenforced captured positions with new troops.

Im gonna assume you mean PTSD and yes they did.

people were made of a tougher stuff back then. Americans fought the horror of two world war alright only to turn on themselves in a local jungle skirmish and desert patrol

>Shell shock totally wasn't a thing
Okay buddy

>people were made of a tougher stuff back then
neck yourself

>people were made of a tougher stuff back then
>poster is American
You guys keep saying you aren't the most retarded pieces of shit in the west, but you just keep proving yourself otherwise

Considering we have descriptions of PTSD symptoms going back to the Battle of Marathon, I'm gonna assume yes.

Did battles last that long or happen that often?

it's literally scientifically proven fact that testosterone levels in 1900 were three times the present amount.

calm down you autist. he's just saying people's lives were harder back then so they probably dealt with adversity in a different way.

He's right
Doesn't mean there were no PTSDs, but when one thing is kept taboo, it happens less (because there arent tons of autist obsessed with said thing trying their hardest to "feel" inflicted by said thing, like it's the case for PTSD, homosex and transgenderism nowdays)

That's fucking retarded.

youtube.com/watch?v=FDNyU1TQUXg

US troops had double the chance of getting a PTSD in WW2 than the Germans did.

Come on dude, you don't have to be a lib everywhere and on every topic. Sometimes things about the past were superior. It's not hard to imagine that a harsher environment breeds tougher people.

Of course, but being from a time that was more, let's say brutal, it's hard to imagine that most of these men were not to some degree used to seeing death.

But war in the 18th century was hell. You and your enemy's can look at each other and see who is going to and your life and vice versa. it mustve been incredible to be apart of such a loud and intense battles.

This, only reason you don't see it now is because most US WWII veterans are old and have had time to deal with their issues, we weren't there to see how they dealt with the things that they saw and did when they finally got home.

I doubt you'll just shrug off sitting in a stinking fighting in smothering tropical temperatures, not trying to fall asleep because the Japs are sending in infiltrators or having to fight off banzai charges. Same goes for the European Theater, read about the Battle of Anzio, Monte Cassino and Hurtgen Woods, probably the worst battles the US had to fight in the Western Front.

That being said, I couldn't imagine what battles like Stalingrad and Kursk must've done to the men who fought it

Only because they were huge faggots tho
US troops were princess-like soldiers

Funny how the Normandy invasion was a huge deal for the US losses-wise because of 120,000 casualties in a month (most of which were wounded) while the Battle of France is seen as a walk in the park for Germany despite taking 160,000 casualties (50,000 of which were dead) in the same timespan

Shit like Omaha was the average day for Germans in WW2

Yes it did. There's even reports of PTSD-esque symptoms from way before the 18th century.

I feel like PTSD comes more from the uncertainty of death rather than death itself.

This

PTSD has always been a thing. The Greek hero Ajax is now believed to have suffered from PTSD and it was responsible for his suicide as it seems to be what it's describing.

So you think a 18th century army marching from massive battle to massive battle is less touched by "the uncertainty of death" than Modern US troops who have 1/156554 chance to die if some car explode near them?

It doesn't happen less, it's just mentioned less. And the loons who claim to have PTSD because they heard someone at Starbucks misgender Caitlyn Jenner don't count, obviously.

>Ajax comes home from war. He stares off into the distance, unable to take joy in his family or friends, still hyperalert to threats he no longer faces. Unable to heal his invisible wound, he takes his own life.

I mean yeah, that certainly sounds like he was driven to suicide from his war experiences.

Frederick the Great did
all his paintings are thousand yard stare

>The Greek hero Ajax is now believed to have suffered from PTSD

Too bad he didn't exist
When will people stop taking this GoT of Ancient Greece as factual history?
The Trojan War is fiction, you mongs

I believe he means that prior to WWI or so most soldiers saw the source of their death before they were actually killed. You saw the enemy army across the field from you. The only tension and uncertainty was right before the pitched battle.
On the other hand, in the world wars, you probably wouldn't even hear the bullet that takes your life, and you're likely forced to sit in a miserable, disease-infested trench for months on end, knowing that every enemy artillery shell you hear could be the one that kills you. Then, from Vietnam onwards, you would be most likely to die from a bomb or a trap or an ambush laid in secret by the enemy.
Obviously, a lot of people get PTSD from killing people or seeing their friends die, but an often unacknowledged cause is the tension of knowing that any moment could be your last, the feeling of powerlessness in knowing that one misplaced step could be what kills you.

That doesn't change that Homer was writing about concepts and beliefs that existed in his time. It would be one thing if it was written now, but it was written around 1200 BC. It doesn't matter if it was fiction, the point still stands that we've realized something new in the analysis.

Does more testosterone equate to physical and mental toughness? I know ha in low testosterone for a guy isn't good. Are the Jews globalists chemically castrating Western men?

This.

Yes, which is why nowadays all Nazis are effeminate pussies who can't get laid

Absolutely.

Unlike today it didn't really build up over a long period of time, and wouldn't necessarily last as long as it does today, but soldiers would break and route all the time back in the day.

That's exactly what I meant. Battles went from hours long to weeks of constant bombardment.

Hollywood movies and general media ''''education'''' on the masses.

Minor correction, Homer didn't write about Ajax's suicide. Ajax' PTSD was explored by Sophocles.

They Weren't made but the times made them. Today is too soft compare to the XVIII century

I was there, it was real

Yes he did. Its in the Odyssey