Was there every an instance in history where a battleship (or any large warship) was actually sunk by weather?

Was there every an instance in history where a battleship (or any large warship) was actually sunk by weather?

youtube.com/watch?v=0n_as89ESuw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WQUXbkAdZhg
youtube.com/watch?v=wqO80vQ3nYE&
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Spanish galleons were sunk by the bad weather while sailing around Scotland in 1588.

Some IJN destroyers capsized due to weather because of how top-heavy they were.

There are probably instances of u-boats and other submarines sinking due to weather in WW1 and WW2

Uboats go underwater on purpose user. That's what they do.

I thought submarines were immune to storms.

A sunk ship is one that is on the bottom of the ocean. Uboats don't drag themselves across the seabed.

Not when they are surfaces. Surface subs roll pretty badly due to not having a keel.

This might be a stupid question, but can't a submarine just submerge if it runs into bad weather? Wind and rain can't have any effect below the surface, correct?

I find submarines terrifying

USS Monitor

Why stay on surface if you are a submarine?

That's how you see where you're going and also launch torpedoes

*or if you're damaged and you can't submerge like a sub in 'Pursuit' iirc

Monitors have a very shallow draft to allow operation in shallow waters. Shallow-draft ships never survive well in bad weather.

During a storm? It doesn't make sense, you don't fight in these conditions.

Not very spectcular disaster but Vasa, a Swedish galeon, sank while leaving for the maiden voyage, after a powerful gust of wind made it sharply tilt to the side, allowing water to the gundeck. That ship was supposed to be the peril of Swedish navy, so king Gustavus Adolphus was pretty pissed when he heard about it.

>that video

Wow it's fucking nothing
Here's real shit

youtube.com/watch?v=WQUXbkAdZhg

youtube.com/watch?v=wqO80vQ3nYE&

Same exact thing happened to the Mary Rose, the flagship of the English kind Henry VIII. They dug it up out of the sea mud in the 1980's, it was full of interesting artifacts.

This. It must have been pretty embarrassing desu.

Apparently Henry wasn't too pleased.

>youtube.com/watch?v=wqO80vQ3nYE&
Fuck that. I will never serve in the navy.