What if someone with a common name like "James" or "Matthew" became a genocidal dictator?

What if someone with a common name like "James" or "Matthew" became a genocidal dictator?
Would those names fall out of use like Adolf, Napoleon, Joseph and Caligula?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalin_Rivas
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A lot of people are still named Joseph.

You realize Joseph is still used as a name, right?

I've never met any Josephs

Adolf wasn't all that common back then.

You must live in Russia

my dad's name is Joseph

No Mathew will ever seize power. Nobody named James will gain the support of the people to wage an offensive war on all fronts.

My cousin is literally named Joseph. You're a weird guy.

>joseph
>out of use
Where do you live, user?

Actually nevermind

Pic was related

Variants of Adolph, especially "Dolph", are still used. It's usually the surname that gets tainted by a tyrant's actions, Idi is still a common first name in Uganda despite the near universal hatred for Idi Amin there. Napoleon I don't think was ever a widely used name, Caligula is essentially a surname (yes I know its not his family name, but Roman names didn't work like ours do).

this. Mostly because Joseph is a biblical name. So many Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Joseph, James, and Michaels

Maybe not the Anglicized versions but in other languages it could be more likely.
Greek: Matthaios (nominal case, more properly transferred into English as Matthai), from Aramaic: Matái, from Hebrew Mattiṯyā́hu.

James, from Vulgar Latin: Iacom(-us), spoken and altered pronunciation of Latin: Iacob(-us), from Ancient Greek: Iácob(-os), from Iacób, from Biblical Hebrew: Yaʿaqób. Arabic Yaʿqub.

Joseph, ultimately from Hebrew: Yoséf. Arabic: Yusúf.

On a relative note I think it could be agreed that nominal case suffix endings for transliterations of Greek and Latin proper nouns are unnecessary and the English language should begin to use suffixless forms like those used in other languages such as many of the Slavic ones.

Napoleon was still used in respectable society after 1815, Joseph is still a common name and Caligula was a nickname

For you.

Why the fuck would you name your kid Caligula, might as well name him Gaylord.

>Adolf
Still in use (in Spanish at least), Adolfo is a fairly common name

>Napoleon
It was never a common name outside of Italy to begin with

>Joseph
Still extremely common both in English and Spanish

>Caligula
This was a childhood nickname that stuck. It wasn't his given name.

Caligula means "Little Boot"

what the dumb /v/ crossposter fails to realise is that there are a lot of names that have fallen out of grace simply because they're not considered modern anymore.

In Croatia we had 2 dictators, Ante Pavelic and Josip Broz Tito and those 2 are literally most used names. Also I think Adolf is pretty popular in Slovenia.

Adolf is an obscure German name. Napoleon isn't hated. Joseph is still very common. Caligula is an exotic Latin name.

*blocks your path*
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalin_Rivas

One in every 43 Americans is named Joseph. You don't know anyone named Joe?

Adolf was a very common name in Slovakia until after WW2.

Only elderly people

James here. Why?

Where does the term Average Joe come from I wonder....hmmmmmm

Biblical names would never fall out of usage regardless of which dictator had them.

Similar to how Osama and Saddam might have reduced in usage but if they were Muhammad, Ali or Rahman it wouldn't make a difference.

I would tell you but your name does not invigorate me to put in any effort on your behest.