Which book changed your worldview more than any other?

Which book changed your worldview more than any other?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CEsesnzDBvA
youtube.com/watch?v=ldR6EMrYNEI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

volume 1 of Azumanga Daioh

Probably Mere Christianity

Mein Kampf

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
It made me actually realise it wasn't enough to think of yourself as a great man. You have to prove it for it to matter.

fpbp

Huntington's clash of civilizations, it may have been bush era neo con bullshit but it was far less wrong than Fukuyama's bs and because I read it in middle school it simply stuck with me.

Behold a Pale Horse

Bill Cooper was based as fuck desu. I still listen to his archived broadcasts from time to time just to hear his voice.

youtube.com/watch?v=CEsesnzDBvA

youtube.com/watch?v=ldR6EMrYNEI

You know, I wasn't serious, right? RIGHT?

Being and Time

Wages of destruction

The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion

I was waiting for this

A crisis of conscience

Middlemarch

A fake document that's responsible for millions of deaths by paranoid morons.

Capital: a critique of political economy

Because we are anonymous here, I'll admit it was "Stranger in a Strange Land."

Re-reading it was a huge disappointment, but at the time, it was, like, mind-altering, man.

A Gentle Introduction to Unqualified Reservations

Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell

>tfw he will probably be dead before I think of something smart to write to him

Nickel And Dimed, because I grew up in an wealthy family and had a skewed image of what being a poorfag was like.

I have not read it, but if I understand its central premise correctly I'm pretty sure it's mostly bullshit. I'm a poorfag, but I don't fuck myself over by living in an expensive area or buying fast food.

Collected works of Plato, although namely the Gorgias dialogue. I feel like Plato gives an amazing account of the tension we all experience between being people and animals simultaneously.

Conrad's Heart of Darkness is a close second choice for me and it also explores similar themes.

> t.

The Stranger by Camus
Ulysses by Joyce
The Next Revolution by Bookchin
The German Ideology, Wage Labor and Capitol by Marx and Engels
Conquest of Bread by Kropotkin
The State and Revolution by Lenin
Taipei by Tao Lin

Hands down one of the best books of the 21st century. Up there with Guns Germs and Steel

>fake

Not so fast Schlomo

>Guns Germs and Steel

i love you daddy

The Last Superstition by Edward Feser

Nu atheists eternally btfo

e.p thompsons making of the english working class
history from below fellas

Agreed but everyone knows that. That's like pointing out that vin diesel is an exciting driver haha

>t. needed a whole fucking book with detailed explanations to realize that talking snakes aren't real

Stunning.

It really changed my view on how badly you can title a book

>t. "WHAT YOU MEAN TALKING SNAKES AREN'T REAL!!!??? STFU GODLESS FAGGOT RETARD!!!"

Anyone that says fictional literature is a pleb and should go back to Veeky Forums. Historical commentaries and philosophy books are the only things worth reading.

More the current year than history. Still, information spreads much faster this day and age

Read it, fags.

Id give it a read user

hello friend

You are not like a lot of poor people.

The Peleponnesian War by Thucydides. First actual historical document i read and also i could practically feel his misery.

Ok bro, and I was just saucin btw no hate. Can you summarize a few of the major arguments here rn, I don't really have the time to read it. I might read it later if it seams interesting

The implication that this isn't something they have control over, though, is heavily flawed.

Spengler's Decline of the West

Hume's Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding. I don't subscribe to that nowadays, but I think his challenges need to be overcome before you can be justifiedly confident in a given belief.

I've had friends argue pretty convincingly that Hume 'solved' philosophy in the 18th century. A lot of what we discuss in modern analytic philosophy is just debating over the finer details of his theories.

The Quran

Any book by Sowell

For my Legionaries

Does anyone know any books on the transformation of American politician from an disinterested and sacrificial obligation to a self-serving position? I read Gordon Wood's 'Empire of Liberty' and it struck me how in the early political system elected office was often a burden to personal finances--landowners and lawyers were taking time out of their practice often to their own detriment to carry out their duties. This seems extraordinary today where political office is seen as a career unto itself and most office holders end up much wealthier after the fact than they ever were before.

Plato's Republic.

While it's relatively basic, it made me start studying philosophy in-depth.

Never looked back since.

this is literally taken up in the next work in the Oxford History of the US series "what hath god wrought". Basically, mass politics requires mass political parties, and mass political parties creates the figure of the "professional politician". US is not unique in this respect btw. The "selflessness" you describe was also characteristic of British government, especially local government, in the same period. The downside to the system though is that it's run by enthusiastic amateur gentlemen who can't into rational systematic administration, mostly because they don't have the resources to create such an administration with their own funds. There's also plenty of "corruption" in this type of system, but the type that was seen as totally normal and indeed necessary to keep the system running at the time.

Same but for a different reason
It made me think every time I act like a self important douche and remember that no man is above the rules

It was published by the Okhrana.

Crime and Punishment, Dante, and The Bible

I've got the audio book of this, does it start making its point eventually? So far its just child studies child studies child studies.

Made me realize that the US really is a Christian nation

The Divine Comedy. The scale and beauty of it led me away from my solipsistic childhood into an adolescence of discovery.

hmm...the most salient point i remember from this book was that the author really favored the whig platform and thought Polk was a nonce.

Stupidity makes poor people.

Meditations by Aurelius. I keep spotting stoic influence in a lot of my thoughts and ideas about the world.

Guns, Germs, and Steel is the biggest meme. A vast majority of people who claim to have read it haven't, they just heard about it or read excerpts in World History 102.

Some literature is worth reading, but only if it is a medium for ideas. Art for art's sake is not art.

The Third Wave by Alvin Toffler. Not so much changed my views as much as refined them. Still didn't even finish the book, but what little I did get to read was fucking excellent, and so was his documentary "Future Shock". I need to read all of his shit soon.

Bruh it's a book who's argument is based on empirical evidence. Of course it's gonna go over the studies first. Also In general I prefer reading over audiobooks

then you need to read it again desu. while the narrative parts do make the whigs more attractive than the democrats, a huge portion of the book deals with christianity, its sects, its overwhelming influence on ideology and society. the transportation and communications revolution is the other big theme and that is constantly referred to throughout the books. I mean ffs even mormonism and womens' rights (both protestant offshoots) originated in the "burnt over district" of upstate new york, this region literally being the region that the Eerie canal cut right through and cause a huge population boom and commercial revolution along its route. To say the book is solely the author talking about "muh whigs were modern US liberals" doesn't do the book justice and is just as much a presentist reading of the book as Howe's own tendentiousness towards the whigs (which is mostly hostility toward Jackson for his hypocrisy and Indian policies. Van Buren, for all his faults, is given a lot of attention, a lot of it positive, because he was one of THE originator of American mass party politics. Polk is also written as a vigorous leader despite his blatant favoritism of southern interests)

maybe it's fair, then, to say that the book is more "pro-north" than it is anti-democrat. but that is also a view taken by Gordon Wood in Empire of Liberty, where that author constantly points out that it was Northern values, their commercial revolution and their politics and ideology that derived from it that were the true engine of American history, religion and society whereas the South's lifestyle became marginalized, more inward looking and was always more sectional. Writing it down right now the view seems more like a "Whiggish" historiography that views history as the inexorable advance of progress, so maybe we have to take Howe's and Wood's views with a grain of salt.

It's either this or Thus Spoke Zarathustra for me

Faith of The Fallen by Terry Goodkind

Full of terrible cliches and mary-sueness, but I was 17 when I read it and went from bloodred to liberatarian overnight

Morris writes a criminally underrated book, of which I have seen little mention here on Veeky Forums.
What are some thoughts on this book, I found it to be significantly better than Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel, although they deal with similar ideas.

Both of these should be required reading, for different reasons.

Savinkov's The Pale Horse blackpilled me.
I'm not sure if that was the intention.

I used to think he was just le evil communist but reading his theories he actually DID care about the peasants and poor people.

He just went a bit crazy towards the end, but I've not got to that part yet.

Sounds interesting, and it doesn't sound criminally underrated, at least to the people that matter.

whats it about? why did it have that effect? what is your view on life now?

What's wrong with "thank you for writing this book"?

Yeah youre right, that was an exaggeration. Its just i see Diamonds book mentioned way more often I guess

Can I unironically say that A Devils Chaplain was pretty influential for me? It was the first book that I read that gave me an actual positive outlook for the future regarding technology and scientific advancement. Like it legitimately made me excited for the future just to see what can be invented.

Unironically

I'm not particularly well read, but this book made me think a lot. Mostly because at first I identified with Harry, and then he kind of gets called out on his shit in a certain way.

GG&S might have some holes, but it still lays down some good groundwork for anthropological theories, at least in a marketable and easy to understand way (which is still worth something).

Discourses on Livy by Machiavelli. Top, top republican.

There's nothing worse than neowhigs. Did they really want the US to stop at the mississippi?

I came here to post this.

It's not about it being right or wrong.

It's about finding a kindred spirit across space and time and espousing the Great Doubt which actually has like a really ecstatic resolution in my opinion but I think that's for people to discover for themselves instead of being told directly which is why I appreciate it.

I find the same way or presenting information in a lot of English philosophy from the 18th century.

Between the cracks they're dropping BOMBS.

It was a few years before the Enquiry really opened up for me.

I could go on for a long time but I'm afraid to open too much to Veeky Forums.

same way of presenting* my apologies

Once you notice that it asks and then answers the question there..

>Which book changed your worldview more than
Lord of the Rings.

This book was given to me as a gift, because I told the person I read Fountainhead.

Changed my life forever.

>There's nothing worse than neowhigs. Did they really want the US to stop at the mississippi?
Jefferson though equally didn't mind if another state was set up west of the US, because he believed that it'd be a fellow republic full of western citizens. Demographic imperialism was inevitable, but the savage form it took was not.

>Guns Germs and Steel

the phenomenology of perception

>this credulous