I was watching this chink movie set before the inauguration of Empress Wu (689 AD) and they have a Roman general...

I was watching this chink movie set before the inauguration of Empress Wu (689 AD) and they have a Roman general visiting. Did such a thing actually happen? I can't find anything about it, but seems like something really random to make up as he's not a relevant character.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Roman_relations
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No it never happened

Also wtf are they wearing

Cicero visited once to murder chinese nobles and buy heroin on the behalf of Great Hektor. He killed half of them an d the royal family.

some romans may have presumably made it there, maybe - but if they did they either never made it back or never wrote it down or bothered to tell anyone.

They two empires were definitely aware that the other existed

This never happened. As far as we know, Ancient China -knew- there was a huge empire in some far away land but couldn't figure out where or who they were exactly. And frankly, they didn't really bothered with that. They had other shits to deal with.
Same goes with Rome.

I've always wondered why the Romans explored so little.
They went down the mile, some guy went to Britain then Denmark, a tiny legion went through Sahara.
Then nothing.

Also maps, why no maps? WHY ARE THERE NO MAPS AT ALL

Shit was a million years ago.
Do you have any idea how much crap got lost?

Roman got to Tansania and the Gangesdelta

Chinese diplomats and merchants did make it as far as Rome and Constantinople however, I think the Romans were cockblocked by the Persians from making the Indian ocean trade route, and they couldn't be assed to take the silk road as that was too dangerous and too long a journey.

There are

I read sometihng similar in a book once, but it seemed like it was REALLY a stretch and the guy didn't have any documentation.

Tang, Song and Ming did have contact with Eastern Roman Empire known as Fulin in the sources, proof of Roman General is lacking. The ERE did sent embassies to Tang considering they were possibly seeking aid against the Arab.
However, the An Lushan rebellion put a stop to any further expansion into Central and Western Asia

>Chinese diplomats and merchants did make it as far as Rome and Constantinople however
Proofs? All I've read has the chinks going to Antioch max.

The characters also hide in an obvious Christian church and walk next to seemgly monks.

Funny how nobody has cried that this was a SJW try to de-Han-ize China.

Might be a Nestorian church.Manichaeism lasted until the Ming dynasty too.

They were blocked from the silk read in times of conflict with parthia/sassanids, but atleast in the first centuries ad trade flew from egypt(rome) to India.
Look at coin founds in south/east Asia or read the periplus erythranei(it even mentions the chinks)

Read it yourself, lazy boy.

There are a bunch of "maps" from Greek sources, much older than Roman.

Antioch is in the med coast, only a week to Constantinople in ship and a month to Rome

>some guy went to Britain

>conquering millions of people, culturally-assimilating them and ruling them for four centuries allowing a large number of your countrymen and other imperial subjects to settle there

>some guy went

don't think you're doing it justice, somehow

>mfw