Who will be remembered as the great composers of the late 20th and early 21st century, like Barber, Ravel, Prokofiev...

Who will be remembered as the great composers of the late 20th and early 21st century, like Barber, Ravel, Prokofiev, Elgar etc?

It certainly cannot be the faggots Hans Zimmer and John Williams. It cannot be!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=moL4MkJ-aLk
youtube.com/watch?v=jy-3RzmF_NU
youtube.com/watch?v=DUmq1cpcglQ
youtube.com/watch?v=7GUzJ7fQBtg
youtu.be/L0bcRCCg01I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i am not ashamed to admit i dont recognize any of those names

Skrillex and Beethoven will be remembered side by side.

C'mon, you at least know Elgar.

youtube.com/watch?v=moL4MkJ-aLk

Well you're right I do recognize that composition, though I never knew who made it.

You should be.

youtube.com/watch?v=jy-3RzmF_NU

Philip Glass.
:3

You should also know Barber if you played Homeworld or watched Platoon at any point in your life

I've done neither

Last of his kind

Michael Nyman?

Come on, John Williams isn't a groundbreaking wunderkind but he makes memorable, inspiring themes that everyone can appreciate.
On the other hand, Hans Zimmer is the most overrated meme composer to ever exist. The only reason that he stays in business is because the entire population of India and millions of fourteen-year olds think that listening to his musical themes, which usually consist of a long, drawn-out fart sound in three different notes supplemented by some gimmicky instrumentation makes them intelligent.
I like Christopher Nolan's work, but how he has a long partnership with such an obvious hack I'll never understand.

John Williams is unironically god-tier, though. But yeah Hans Zimmer is overrated trash.

Shostakovich would be one of them

Wolfgang Rihm
You probably recognize Prokofiev too.
youtube.com/watch?v=DUmq1cpcglQ
youtube.com/watch?v=7GUzJ7fQBtg

Yoko Kanno if she moves from weeb material and make something here in the west, she is god tier

Williams is an Oasis tier hack, who steals themes from better composers and mashes them together in an amateurish fashion.
He can't do development, harmonically he goes nowhere.
Only a pleb who knows nothing of art music would think hes a good composer

Williams isn't a "hack", but he does nothing to innovate the genre of symphonic music. His oeuvre is full of infinitely hummable melodies and strong thematic content, but it's ultimately a very straightforward re-appropriation of late romantic and early modern era music (popular and widely recognizable examples being Tchaikovsky and Holst). Of course, stuff like Star Wars itself is just a modern re-appropriation of pulp serials and romantic era fantasies, so Williams matching that musically is admittedly fitting.

And OP's question can't be answered until the era is over anyway. Very rarely do we know who the greats are as they're coming out, especially in this new era where we're inundated with new art and music on a constant basis.

unironically Kanye West

Shostakovich died in '75

Kys faggot

Nolan will be remembered as a great

I agree. His mdtf compositions are high art

Fuck, just saw emphasis on late 20th century, lol.

Lil Uzi Vert, XXXTentacion, Kendrick Lamar

I doubt it would be John Williams or Hans Zimmer. It'll probably be these two, or maybe Eminem.

>inb4 classical music.
Led Zep is fucking classic you fool.

Hip Hop Music has more quickly evolved into art than rock has.

Ravel might be my favorite composer and Prokofiev is also god tier but honestly they're not as often in the musicologist's discussion of that time period as much as Debussy and Stravinsky.

Eric Whitacre is super popular for young "music" kids

Gorecki
Radiohead

>Oh...you wrote lyrics about your penis to the music I wrote...again. I guess that's...fine.

the last place in the universe I expected to find patrician taste. Its interesting that no matter the board, yes even /pol/, he still has fans

I like Williams but he largely steals the tone from Gustav Holst, who was actually avant garde for his time. William's later corpus of work after Episode I is largely derivative. (Variations of his previous works rather than new stuff)

youtu.be/L0bcRCCg01I

Just listen to this and picture three Star Destroyers flying in formation.

It was written in 1914 and it could fit any Star Wars movie better than Williams' stuff ever did.

Eric Whitacre.

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lel lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek kek lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Out of curiosity, where did he use music from Tchaikovsky and Holst?

nice use of repetition

Wojciech Kilar

As far as cinematic music goes, Poledouris and Morricone are far more important and influential than the two OP mentioned

Most important late 20th and early 21st century composers are Poulenc (not "late" but fuck you"), Xenakis, Ligeti, Stockhausen, Steve Reich, La Monte Young.

Glad to see the old wop still at work.

If it were up to me, Robert Fripp and Peter Hammill would be remembered as the most brilliant composers of the post-WW2 era.

Arvo Part maybe

Sparvo Spärte :DD

you think in the 16th and 17th centuries they were asking what minstrels and ballads will be rememebred as great?

how do you guys not understand that tastes and attitudes in art changes with technology?

No one cares about classical conducting.
They just know Yoyo Ma that cellist, and when Metallica made an orchestral album.

It's a joke about minimalism.

Lennon and McCartney

film is the only real outlet for composers anymore. And why shouldn't it be? A lot of great composers were inspired by literature

Sawano Hiroyuki

>music
>evolve INTO art
The fuck are you on about boy?

John Adams.

The Beatles
Michael Jackson
Prince
Queen
etc etc.

Orchestral music has very little cultural relevance and rarely if never commands the zeitgeist. The great composers of the 20th and 21th century are and will be pop artists.

No fucking shit lad, the bloke you were replying to clearly understood and was playing along
Get your hear out of your arse

Joe Hisashi
Yoko kano
Hiroyuki sawano
Nobuo uematsu

Nobuo Uematsu
Phillip Glass
Steve Reich
Gyorgy Ligeti
Iannis Xenakis