Fall of Rome

I know that this subject is discussed daily here,

but does anyone else feel a deep sadness over the fall of the Roman Empire? Am I just autistic or is it valid to feel this way?

To see the slow decline and all that history come to an end hurts my heart. Rome was far from perfect, but it brought about many amazing advancements that were subsequently lost (inb4 muh dark ages).

As technological advancement is the only way to bring about improvement in living standards, I can't help but wonder what Western society would be like if Rome continued to thrive.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/stream/historyoffranks00greguoft#page/n25/mode/2up
astrofella.wordpress.com/2013/12/03/the-conversion-of-europe-371-1386-richard-fletcher/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>I know that this subject is discussed daily here
Rome threads are almost always hijacked by either fucking /pol/-tards or disgusting, revisionist Galileans.
One could count the number of good threads we have regarding Rome in a month on one hand.

>but does anyone else feel a deep sadness over the fall of the Roman Empire?
Absolutely.
It is honestly quite upsetting that the Empire ended in 363.

>Am I just autistic or is it valid to feel this way?
While I suppose that it could be seen as autistic.
I personally consider grief over the loss of the greatest civilisation to ever grace our world to be quite valid.
Particularly when you consider the sorry state of things now.

All empires fall

>Particularly when you consider the sorry state of things now.
Our actual civilization is the best one ever so far though.

I think that depends entirely upon what metric ones wishes to judge.
Obviously, any modern nation is going to beat-out a nation that fell in 363 with regards to technology or medicine.

When one looks at the quality of leaders, religiosity, prevailing theology and philosophy ect.
I hold that the Roman Empire wins out.
Indeed I would even take the (admittedly heavily flawed) Imperial governmental system over Neo-liberalism any-day of the week.

>I think that depends entirely upon what metric ones wishes to judge.
Name ONE (1) metric by which the Roman Empire is better than the Post Cold War Western Civilization.

A bump for a fellow reactionary LARPer

Rome didn't die. It simply changed it's leadership class and split into more manageable boundaries.

The dark age is a myth. The term was used by British historians to state there was no written history of Britain at that time but there is history written on the continent such as Gregory of Tours - History of the Franks
>archive.org/stream/historyoffranks00greguoft#page/n25/mode/2up

The empire went through a rocky century or two and declined a bit but the Roman senator class simply moved into the Catholic Church.
The Conversion of Europe is a good book that explains this.
>astrofella.wordpress.com/2013/12/03/the-conversion-of-europe-371-1386-richard-fletcher/

sustainable fertility rates

It's hard to respect a civilization that can't even reproduce itself

>sustainable fertility rates
>It's hard to respect a civilization that can't even reproduce itself
That's actually a good thing, retard. Fuck off, the earth is full.

>Rome didn't die
It did, germanics destroyed and raped them

Most Western countries still strive for perpetual growth, and therefore seek to prevent any kind of population contraction whatsoever. Immigration is used as a supplement when native fertility falls and too few workers are being born. To the extent that immigrants adopt Western lifestyles and values, their fertility also falls, necessitating more immigration. You can see how this system is unsustainable.

Furthermore, the causes of decreasing fertility are unrelated to any environmental concerns. Changing social values and the modern materialist lifestyle are responsible for the decrease, not concerns about overpopulation. But these same factors - modern values and materialism - that naturally depress population growth, also engender immigration and foreign aid policies that negate any natural population contraction that might be occuring.

germans didn't take constaintinople, shitskin

>stop having kids because the rest of the world has too many
kys

>It is honestly quite upsetting that the Empire ended in 363.
Go home Julian. Your turboLARPing can't turn back time.

Constantius II should've been harsher, death penalty for pagan sacrifices was not enough.

>having more kids for no reason is a good thing
Wow! It feels like I'm at /pol/!

Romans raped the Germanics first, and never forget it.

>germans didn't take constaintinople
fucking brainlet
where?

Obviously it's sad to read about the greatest Empire in the world fall, but you have to realize that there were benefits to the fall of the empire. The fall of the Roman Empire left a vacuum that would be filled by what we call western civilization. Before that it was Mediterranean civilization. The spreading of Roman law and Christianity to the uncivilized was a HUGE benefit for all of Europe.

t. dirty germanic

Hmm good point actually.

>coming from a 1/15th actual latin spic

lyl

the begining of the fall of rome was in the begining after Numa. He was a good king. Then the expansionist imperator system led to thining

The people who destroyed it are building it again

>LE EARTH IS FULLLLLLLL

Maybe shitskin countries, sure. Kill yourself.

>having no potentially intelligent, productive and good white children just because Ahmed, Mbongo and Pajeet have 9 parasites.

its more impressive that they lasted as long as they did with all the problems they had

they had absolutely no business surviving the crisis of the third century, and yet they did