Is it true Constantine made Christianity Rome's official religion to control the masses with one ideology...

Is it true Constantine made Christianity Rome's official religion to control the masses with one ideology? Could the rise of Christianity have been causative of Rome's decline?

>Could the rise of Christianity have been causative of Rome's decline?

The Empire existed for a longer period of time as a Christian empire than as a Pagan empire.

Constantine did not make Christianity Rome's official religion.

How fucking embarrassing, OP. What possessed you to make this thread?

Except it most certainly didn't.

>s it true Constantine made Christianity Rome's official religion to control the masses with one ideology?
He didn't make it the official religion of Rome, he supported it, but didn't make it the sole imperial religion. You're thinking of Theodosius I. While Constantine did, in fact, try to attain a religion that would help the well-being of Rome, since he perceived the role of divinity to be of vital importance to the well being of the Empire.

I wouldn't say so, you had the entire crisis of the 3rd century before Christianity was even a huge deal (If you exclude the mass persecutions, of course). Putting the blame heavily on Christianity is rather dishonest and fairly Gibbon-tier. You had like 30 different emperors claiming title in a 50-year span, constant assassinations, interventions from the military (Vespasian threatened to starve Rome by cutting off the grain supply, he later became Emperor). Rome also lacked a strong mobile reserve, prior to Constantine, who used this to great advantage and could be consider something that prolonged Rome.

Except he most certainly did.

as slaves and people that were getting conquered. As a rebuttal, the roman state which was formed after the trojan war had existed from about 820BC until 1459AD. Hence when the conversion happend in the third century, there was 1100 years of 'pagan' (which included jews) and then 1200 years of 'christian'. Which means that the empire grew in size for 1100 years, and then shrunk for 1100 years after it converted.

I'd consider him helping Christianity in later becoming state religion during Theodosius' reign, but I wouldn't say that he made it the state religion, mind elaborating?

socartes' law on the forms of government agrees with Gibbon that impious countries are prone to collapse or disaster. Whereas you start bean-counting without proving that those things actually caused the empire to decline, which means lose territory, standard of living, prestige etc.

I mentioned Gibbon more on that he claimed "Christianity was the main reason Rome fell", rather than the fact Rome became "Impious", unless you consider Christian Rome an "Impious" state.

Christianity wasnt the fall of rome

>As a rebuttal, the roman state which was formed after the trojan war
Fuck right off, Virgil. Even in your headcanon that isn't true.

Christians are known to be impious, especially in the early days.

>Virgil
someones been drinking the catholic kool-aid. There are literaly stone slabs that date back to 800BC that are recordings of homer's poetry.

Can one really consider people such as Hermits to be impious, and the multiple Christians who died from torturing because they refused to actually provide their name or other Christian believers? Perhaps I misunderstand you, but I wouldn't consider Christians, who willingly refuse to take part in a collective sacrifice (which resulted in their executions, by the way) to be "Impious".

must've been shitskins who don't know their ass from a emperor

they were being tortured because they were impious (as in committing blasphemy against the Jews), and it didn't stop, it evolved into the fall of the roman empire and serfdom.

[citation needed]

Homer doesn't mention a fucking thing about any Zeusdamn Romans. The Trojan connection is a Roman collective larp game.

>blasphemy
jews demand him to be put on trial for impiety, romans settle for breaking the peace. He loses and get killed.
>fall/serf
after atilla the hun byzantine scholars wrote an anonymous treatise outlining feudalism as the new system to use to conscript soldiers because romans didn't want to fight as much anymore. Every territorry of the Roman empire adopted it or adopted it after its fall.

>sail for the seven hills of ITaly and name the city Rome, it means art
should he list off every sulla and caesar for you too?

When I meant [citation needed], I meant authors, books, chapter, page, w/e.

The bible, New testament, Romans
Some college proffesor whose recordings are free online if someone's still seeding

Pagan Roman Empire: 149 BC to 330 AD = 479 years. (Yes, I'm being generous by counting the late Republic as being part of the Pagan Roman Empire)

Christian Roman Empire: 330 AD to 1453 AD = 1123 years

>he roman state which was formed after the trojan war had existed from about 820BC

The user you're responding to is talking about the EMPIRE not the early kingdom and the republic. The empire was founded in 27BC and Christianity became the state religion in 380 AD. That's 407 years of Pagan Roman empire. Christian Roman Empire lasted 1,073 years.

>Which means that the empire grew in size for 1100 years, and then shrunk for 1100 years after it converted.

The Pagan empire hardly expanded at all, the only major conquest was Britain. The Christian empire on the other hand was in a constant ascent and decline, Justinian's reconquest for example. The Christian empire did shrink more, but it also conquered more.

>The Christian empire did shrink more, but it also conquered more.
No, it would try to take territorries and the would revolt so much they would be annexed by forgien powers. The Empire is just a form of government, the actual Roman Society grew until the conversion and was sloping downard since it began before through martys and demagouges.

>the actual Roman Society grew
What do you mean by "grew"?

That's not from any Homeric text, or any text at all, actually, you nigre magne .

conquered italy, spain, greece, modern algeria, sicily. Expanded their understanding of theology, hounoured God, took part in their government through revolutions, spared people's lives so they could go on to birth the alexanderian dynasty.

>No, it would try to take territorries and the would revolt so much they would be annexed by forgien powers.

They were annexed by foreign powers because the Empire was too busy fighting Arabs and Bulgarians not because the people revolted.

>the actual Roman Society grew until the conversion

Crisis of the third century was growth?

So can you not be bothered to cite a verse showing that early Romans were impious during the Great Persecution and the reason why they were tortured cause of impiety rather than the fact Diocletian just wanted them dead?

sounds like you never read the illiad then, Keep cussing out at me like some shitskin though, that;ll get your dirt-coloured ass into college.

they called themselves christians. My verses are the paintings and roman candles who said
>I worshipped Athena and Jesus so they would protect me

>the actual Roman Society grew until the conversion

The peak of the Roman Empire's territorial holdings the 2nd Century AD. The decline began during the 3rd Century AD, and the empire did not convert to Christianity until the 4th century AD.

the third century actually conquered some territory (jaffa and naxos) and developed some feats of engineering (better fortifications, use of metal in stonework)

Back to sleep Virgil, hell is missing its tour guide.

Constatine who won the third century crises removed the laws regarding perseuction of christians, was named the thriteenth apostle by the Holy Father, and instated the "Christian Church" as the state church of the Roman Empire. Then he went around destroying the statues of emperors who were pagan and burning temples. Along with banning the festivals of Mars and other pagan gods.

>>I worshipped Athena and Jesus so they would protect me
Can you tell me where you got that? Can't seem to find it even through google, tried with and without quotes. Also, I'm not following you, do you perceive that Christians were persecuted in the Great Persecution because they were impitious?

>God will punish him!
God hates christians more than any other person, even native americans got the sweet realease of death, your kind were worked to death until a lord came along and crippled them.

Constantine didn't become emperor until the 4th Century AD.

>Is it true Constantine made Christianity Rome's official religion to control the masses with one ideology?
Anachronistic bs
he didn't even make christianity an official religion
One can argue that it was one of many reasons

angel memories. And yes, being christian is form of severe impiety.

For a sec I thought I had found something interesting, apparently I was just being baited all along.

>and instated the "Christian Church" as the state church of the Roman Empire.
Where are you getting this from?

>get dismissed when I post my source
armchair historians are a sad bunch

>instated the "Christian Church" as the state church of the Roman Empire

No he didn't, Theodosius was the one who did that, in 380

>Then he went around destroying the statues of emperors who were pagan and burning temples. Along with banning the festivals of Mars and other pagan gods.

I'm almost positive he didn't do any of that, Pagan worship was still legal under Constantine, give your source for this.

Diocletian records and angel memories

angel memories.