How strong was the Ottoman Empire militarily, Economically, and politically in the 1770’s? Were they stilled feared...

How strong was the Ottoman Empire militarily, Economically, and politically in the 1770’s? Were they stilled feared? Did they go through a revival at that time?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_Plan
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkic_Khaganate
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>a map of the Ottoman Empire with non-BS borders
Is that fucking T*rk finally gone?

couldn't take down moroccans, weaklings KEK

Russians and austrians actually had a short-lived plan to dismantle it and reform a greek byzantine empire. So they thought themselves capable of that, but then the war became a bit of a stalemate and the austrians decided it wasn't really worth it. So I understand they weren't an existential threat anymore, but no pushover either.

they were weak faggots

what bothers me is the lack of quality maps. i know how to actually draw maps, but i don't have time to draw anything.

the second half of the 18th century is the real beginning of the ottoman decline. hence the plans for dismantling it begun, but the reforms at the very beginning of the 19th century revived the power for a short time.

>random blobbing in every direction
>still aesthetic as fuck

Very nice.

Did the Ottomans ever try to invade Italy? It seems like a natural next step.

Yes, well, no. They took an Italian city and Naples and did a massacre, and then withdrew. They couldn't really invade Italy as that would've really set the Europeans on blood mode.

They took bunch of border towns every now and then, they also took Balearic Islands and used that to raid Italian coasts.

The Ottomans never again controlled any territory north of Belgrade and the river Sava following the Treaty of Karlowitz in 1718. Internet maps are shit.

Which war?

Yes they tried several times. Google Lepanto.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_Plan
One of the 5 trillion Russo-Turkish wars

They were a clay giant, about to lose everything they had. It's kind of sad that they weren't completely exterminated after all the shit they did.

They literally did nothing wrong apart from cause butthurt in subhumans

Mehmed had planned an invasion of Italy because he was such a fucking autistic romeboo, but he died before he could put his plan into action

>byzantines are now subhumans
I fucking hate T*rkposters. You roach scum are the only ethnicity deserving a nuclear holocaust. The only fucking empire that is now poor as shit, and can only exercise it's relevance through it's retarded leader and compensating military. You gave nothing to this world, for the whole 1000 years you existed.

>Mehmed II was literally AYO WE WUZ ROMANS N SHIEEET
Didn't he also briefly consider convertng to Christianity upon conquering Constantinople?

>Very nice.

>1000 years
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkic_Khaganate

Gökturks=/=Seljuq Turks

What is the proof? Seljuqs come from Oghuz who came from the Gökturks.

Google Preveza and Djerba

Hint, none of these three battles mean anything.

The best years of the Ottomen were 1400s-1600s.

1700s-1800s was the shittening, where they lagged behind the rest of the world's powers in terms of wealth and military power, though they could still bonk the silly heads of Middle Easterners.

The Turks occupying anatolia now only became relevant when they were Seljuq

+1
that's actually disputable. not all oghuzes came from Göktürks.

Its actually a fake map. Savoy re-conquered east croatia, all of hungary and north serbia by 1700

As for OE, they were a rotten "empire" that European powers kept alive for muh balance of powah

>Turks could have become respectable europeans kinda like hungarians
Sad!

>Turks
>Respectable
>Europeans
Pick one and only one

Why would we become European sub humans?
we're the exact opposite of Europeans.
we drive the truck, you die under it.

Kek, it's embarrassing to have Saadian and Manghit next to heavy hitters like Ottomans, Safavids and Mughals.

> 1700
Yeah sure

A more interesting question, would there be an ottoman empire at all if Byzantines and persians weren't constantly trying to bitchslap eachother?

Ottomans are seven centuries removed from the Byzantine-Persian wars. That's quite a lot of divergence.

More like 4 centuries with the Byzantines constantly being attacked in between on all sides.

Makes you wonder, if the plan had succeeded, what would the consequences actually have been? Most of the Balkans would likely have been split up between Austria and Russia, either annexed or as vassal states, with only the southernmost parts under Greek control, and Russia taking the lands in the Caucasus. It seems likely that the westernmost parts of Anatolia would also have been brought in under Greek control. So what about eastern Anatolia, the Levant, and Egypt? Would the alliance have been able, or even wanted, to formally give these areas to the new emperor? Or would they have still been, for a time at least, ruled by a struggling Turkish sultanate (now under a new dynasty as it seems unlikely the Ottomans would have managed to remain in power after such a defeat)?

Could this New Byzantine Empire have managed to become a great power in the east? Or would it have ended up as a backwater and puppet for the Austrians and Russians?

It would have been invested into by mostly the Russians, because they are all Orthodox Byzantineboos and muh heritage. The Austrians would continue to improve Croatia and Slovenia, just like they already have. They would be bettet than they are now for sure. Remove the eternal roach, and it's only progress from there.

>we drive the truck, you die under it.
Why would you say something like that?

He did. In return he wanted the Vatican to acknowledge him as the only Emperor in Europe, as Roman emperors were.

Mehmed was a total Romanboo.

What an absolute retard
>AYO LOOK I TAKE ROME LAND I AM RÖME NOW YES? I AM KING RÖM YES? YES.

Point being that the world would look a lot different. without the Roman-Sassanian wars the Romans would be able to consolidate their power in the west and remain masters of Europe, and they'd be far more able to resist the Arabs, as would the Persians, and presuming they endure that long, the Persians would be more capable of resisting the Turks descending down from the steps in the first place. Until the Mongols roll in and fuck them all up, at least.

Honestly, the reasoning is about as flawless as when Russia declared themselves the rightful successors to Rome based on their religion. Or when the Holy Roman Emperors declared the same thing based on papal decree (despite not having papal support for the claim for a majority of the time). Or when the Germans kept the title out of pure habit.

I kind of have a hard time imagining that Russia would just hand over control over Constantinople to Greece. That city is the holy grail of Russia's strategic interests.

the ottomans never even controlled that much into the algerian hinterlands, most of the mountain tribes remained christian until the french came

For pretty much the same reason, it's also kind of hard to imagine that the Austrians would agree to let the Russians have direct control over the city. From a Russian perspective, an Orthodox controlled Constantinople would have been far preferable to a Muslim one, and they would likely have seen them as obvious allies in the region and possible puppets.

However, setting up the Neo-Byzantines as a puppet state also seems to go against the purpose of the plan, which was to maintain the balance of power in Europe, where the Ottomans' control over the eastern Mediterranean was an integral part.At the same time, I find it hard to believe that this Greek state wouldn't end up with many of the same problems as the Ottomans already had.

How did the French cause Christianity to decline in Algiers?

Faggotism

Plausible, but not specific enough.

Either they do it or go to war against a catholic league
Did the French try to unify the population or something

eugene of savoy beat their asses so hard they pretty much shat themselves and stopped being relevant. then the russians came and it's all downhill for mehmet

>Amerimutt education
oh my little mutt mongrel...

Amerimuttistan should be rangebanned
those subhuman mutt mongrels are literally retarded, and they're even more retarded than whites. whenever i see an amerimutt posting i want to beat the shit out of it and behead him afterwards. Just like Juba

>American education

>American
>Education