Why is it called the "Middle East" when it's actually more like the "Middle West?"

Why is it called the "Middle East" when it's actually more like the "Middle West?"

its called the middle east because relative to the europeans, and specifically the english, whose language you are using, it is in the middle between them (west) and the more east east (far east)

Cold War terms
It should be called the near east
China the Far East
India the Middle East

Why can't we just call it south western Asia?

because it's not south

Uh...yes it is?

In the past it was also called the Near East. Middle West sounds like Central Europe.

In that case it's more like western Asia and it would be difficult to differentiate it from a southwestern part when eastern Asia encompasses a much larger area.

All in all taking historical and cultural considerations into account it would probably be best to call it western Asia or the Near East.

colloquialisms aren't based off of factuality, but rather, culture and ease-of-speaking

Uh no it's not, Africa is south. Middle East is in the middle of everything, between Asia, Africa, and Europe, and it's east of everything that matters. Hence the name, Middle East. As opposed to the Far East, or the West.

Relative to the center of the asian land mass it is in the south western quadrant you mongo

English is from England, not "the center of the asian land mass". The more you know!

Middle East is a stupid and relative term, same with things like Far East. It's all just assuming a Eurocentric worldview.

>I can't refute basic geographical realities so I'll just fall back on illogical and outdated anglo centric labeling instead
Tell me more, Nigel.

>Implying I denied any geographical realities
Central Asia is an irrelevant place, it should not be the center of anything. I'm American and I think the Anglos destroyed the world. However, Jamal, that doesn't change the fact that you're speak ENGLISH, a language from ENGLAND, from which the MIDDLE EAST is MIDDLE AND EAST of in the world. If you want Central Asia to be the center of the world, you should learn Kazakh.

From the Anglo perspective anything to the east of Italy is eastern. Between the Eastern Mediterranean and India is the Middle East. Of course further east than India is the Far East.

>u speek da English thurfor you must use illogical English concepts
Lay down Nigel you're still drunk

In many languages it's called Near East.

IIRC greater persia was the middle east, anatolia and the levant were the near east

/thread

>the majority of China is actually more southern than Turkey
Mercator projection is a bitch

It's called Middle-East in English language for the simple reason that for ethnically English people (English people are ethnic group who's ethnic and native language English is by the way) who inhabitate England the landmass and cultures located in Middle-East are literally in the middle of East.

You have to remember that English language is ethnic language for only English people. For others it's just a global language.

It's not up to you to correct English people for their own ethnic language. Just like it's not OK for English person to correct you for your language or words.

P.S. If you don't like English language, stop speaking it. It's that simple. But don't go around telling ethnically English people to change their language because you don't like it.

t: Finnish person

Why don't we just call it Middle?

>inhabitate

Do you have autism?
Language is not necessarily factual.
The only language which is factual would be Esperanto.
Can’t remember any countries where its the mother tongue

Sorry English isn't by first language. And neither is it my ethnic language.

Finnish is.

>majority
no

???

you know Turkey isn't Iraq right?

SW Asia is a thing. That's the name for the 'Stans

Everything in green, gray and white is rightful Türkish clay.

Literally nothing is rightfully Turkish. Roaches don't have property rights.

Because its in relation to Europe, which is the only place that matters.

embarrassing

>It's not up to you to correct English people for their own ethnic language. Just like it's not OK for English person to correct you for your language or words.

That's total Bullshit.

Antiquarians and classicists still call it the Near East. West Asia would also make sense.

What in the fuck??

Hahaha

>american education

close but id say the south is the majority

>this post
I can smell the telltale reek of Finnish autism through my computer screen

although, if you wish to measure by the southernmost turkish territory (northern cyprus), the north may in fact have more total area

>English terms shouldn't be Anglocentric
Literally what?