History of India - An Overlook, Vedic Age, Vedas and Hinduism

>Vedic Age - 1500 BC - 600 BC

We would be learning about the Vedic Age, it's called Vedic Age because Vedas were discovered by man in this age. We would also be studying about Hinduism here, as Vedas are one of the foundations of Hinduism.

ITT we would be only covering what are vedas and Hinduism, we will cover every Major religion in India with their chronological order, since Hinduism is the oldest, we will be covering it first, in next thread we will be talking about the society, literature and arts of Vedic Age and in a third thread about the Vedic Age we will be discussing the political history of that age.

Excluding Sri Lanka from the equation is retarded seeing as it was probably the first region in india to getcivilized after the IVC collapsed in West india

> Vedas were discovered
> Hinduism in 600 BC
Ok, my body is ready for Indigenous Aryans bullshit.

This is what I've been waiting for.

>Hinduism

>Hinduism is an Indian religion, or a way of life, widely practiced in South Asia.

>Hinduism has been called the oldest religion in the world, and some practitioners and scholars refer to it as Sanatana Dharma, "the eternal tradition," or the "eternal way," beyond human history.

>Scholars regard Hinduism as a fusion[note 3] or synthesis of various Indian cultures and traditions, with diverse roots and no founder.

>This "Hindu synthesis" started to develop between 500 BCE and 300 CE, following the Vedic period (1500 BCE to 500 BCE).

>Vedas are considered as one of the foundations of Hinduism.

>As we know from the Indus thread that Hinduism was already present in its primitive form in Indian Subcontinent, but it was during the Vedic Age that it developed into a proper religion.

Honestly I have no clue about the Sri Lankan history except few facts/important events that are directly related to India, So, I can't include something I have no clue about.

Stop being a retard, I never said that Aryans are indigenous, I am not even talking about Aryans in this thread. I will be talking about them in next thread.

Thanks

Do you really worship rats and eat poo?

>Vedic age
>I am not even talking about Aryans in this thread

>What are Vedas?

>The Vedas are a large body of knowledge texts originating in the ancient Indian subcontinent.

>Composed in Vedic Sanskrit, the texts constitute the oldest layer of Sanskrit literature and the oldest scriptures of Hinduism.

>Aryans are credited for composing and bringing the knowledge of Vedas to the mankind, but according to the texts not even they created them.

>Vedas are said to be the knowledge God passed along to the Mankind.

>Vedas for a very long time were passed orally and were handed by generation to generation through word of mouth, the reason Vedas are also called "Shruti" i.e. what is heard.

>Vedas are also called "Apaurasheya" i.e. not created by man but God gifted and "Nitya" i.e. existing all eternity.

No.

Apparently Veeky Forums is too dumb to understand this -> >ITT we would be only covering what are vedas and Hinduism, we will cover every Major religion in India with their chronological order, since Hinduism is the oldest, we will be covering it first, in next thread we will be talking about the society, literature and arts of Vedic Age and in a third thread about the Vedic Age we will be discussing the political history of that age.

>>ITT we would be only covering what are vedas and Hinduism

I think India is not relevant enough to be discussed here.

I think I don't care about your opinion

show vagene pls

send u frend rikuest plz aksept

i love you

sorry i dont write anymore

ok thx bye

Not him but most people here really don't care about history that isn't Rome or from the past few centuries. You're better off in whatever anonymous sites Indians use (facebook?)

>Are Vedas what defines Hinduism? Is Hinduism only based on Vedas and Vedic texts?

No. The Dravidians were practicing the tribalistic form of Hinduism for a very long time. Hinduism has a very long history, which consisted of formations and destruction of numerous school of thoughts and sects.

The reason why Hinduism is usually called a "way of life" than a religion.

I usually post in evening and those guys appreciate my threads, its not my fault Veeky Forums is full of idiotic slavish we wuzzers during this time of the day. I am busy during evening so, I am continuing my series of thread during this time.

>Veeky Forums is full of idiotic slavish we wuzzers during this time of the day.
As opposed to Dravidian we-wuzzers?

WE WUZ ARYA N SHIT

>posts le born again christian autist

OP please continue.

>Vedas

There are 4 Vedas -

>Rig Veda
>Sama Veda
>Yajur Veda
>Atharva Veda

The first 3 Vedas are jointly called "Vedatrayi" i.e. the trio of Vedas

>Of the four Vedas Rig Veda (Collection of lyrics) is the oldest text in the World, and, therefore, is also known as 'the first testament of mankind'

>Rig Veda
Contains 1028 hymns and 10,580 verses, divided into 10 mandalas.

Six mandalas (from 2nd - 7th) are called Gotra/Vamsha Mandalas (Kula Granth)

The 1st and 10th mandalas are said to be added later.

The 10th mandala contains the famous Purushasukta which explains the 4 Varnas -
>Brahmana
>Kshatriya
>Vaishya
>Shudra

Hymns of Rig Veda are recited by Hotri (A type of priest)

>Sama Veda
Book of chants having 1549 verses

All verses (excluding 75) were taken from Rig Veda.

Hymns of Sama Veda are recited by Udgari (A type of priest priest)

This Veda is important for Indian music

>Yajur Veda
Book of sacrificial prayers, is a ritual veda

Its hymns are recited by Adhvaryus (A type of priest)

It is divided into two parts-
>Krishna Yajur Veda
>Shukla Yajur Veda

In contrast to the first two which are in verse entirely, this ones in both verse and prose

>Atharva Veda
Book of magical formulas and spells and the last one

Contains charms and spells to ward off evils and diseases

For a very long time it wasn't included in the category of Vedas.

Not a Dravidian, but atleast they are way better than you Slavic niggers

I will, in the evening. Gtg

>they are way better than you Slavic niggers
At what?

India is plenty relevant here, youre just new.

Vedas have immense knowledge hidden in themselves, they so complexly written in small verses that :-

>It takes 8 Brahamanas, 6 Arayankas and 108 Upanishads to explain them.

The Brahmans explain the hymns of the Vedas. They are written in prose and ritualistic in nature.

Brahma means 'sacrifice'. The various sarifices and rituals have been elaboratory discussed in the Brahamanas. Every Vedas has several Brahamanas attached to it.

>Vedas and their Brahamanas

>Rig Veda
Aitareya [dealing with Soma (a drink that makes you immortal) sacrifice] and Kaushitiki/Sankhyan [dealing with food sacrifice]

>Sam Veda
Panchvisha (Tandya Maha Brahamana) - contains ancient legends
Shadvinsh - appendix to the Panchvisha
Chhandogya - collection of stories and chants
Jaiminaya - principal Brahmana of the Jaiminiya shakha

>Yajur Veda
Shatapatha (The oldest and largest Brahamana) - describes Vedic rituals, history and mythology
Taittariya - description of symbolic sacrifices, where meditation substitutes an actual sacrifice.

>Atharva Veda
Gopatha - Vedic rituals, associated with the Atharvaveda

>Aranyakas

The word Aranya means 'the forest'.

The 'forest texts' were called Aranyaka because they were written mainly for the hermits and the students living in jungles.

The Aranyakas are the concluding portions of the Brahamanas

What is the most recent Veda?

Atharva Veda as it wasn't considered a Veda for a very long time.

>Upanishadas

Upanishadas are philosophical texts

They are generally called 'Vedanta'as they came towards the end of the Veda.

There are 108 Upanishadas.

Vrihadaranyaka is the oldest Upanishada

No. of Upanishadas dedicated to each Veda

>Rig Veda - 10

>Sam Veda - 16

>Yajur Veda - 51

>Atharva Veda - 31

सत्यमेव जयते "Truth alone triumphs." the National Motto of India is adopted from Mundaka Upanishad

>सत्यमेव जयते नानृतं सत्येन पन्था विततो देवयानः ।
>येनाक्रमन्त्यृषयो ह्याप्तकामा यत्र तत् सत्यस्य परमं निधानम् ॥

Truth alone triumphs; not falsehood.
Through truth the divine path is spread out
by which the sages whose desires have been completely fulfilled,
reach to where is that supreme treasure of Truth.

>Schools of Hinduism

There are 12 major schools of Hindu Philosophy

These schools are divided into two categories of 6-6 each.

These two categories are :-

>Astika
>Nastika

>Astika
Astika schools are those who -
who accept the epistemic authority of the Vedas
those who accept the existence of atman i.e. soul
those who accept the existence of Ishvara i.e. existence of a supreme being

>Nastika
Nastika schools are those who reject any of the things mentioned in Astika schools

>Astika Schools

>Samkhya

Rationalist school of Indian philosophy, this ancient school's reliance on reason was exclusive but strong.

Only accepts and spreads the philosophy and teachings which are tested with perception, inference and have a testimony of reliable sources

Strongly dualist, regards the universe as consisting of two realities, puruṣha (consciousness) and prakṛati (matter).

Jiva (a living being) is that state in which puruṣha is bonded to prakṛati in some form.

The universe is described by this school as one created by purusha-prakṛati entities infused with various permutations and combinations of variously enumerated elements, senses, feelings, activity and mind.

>Yoga

Ancient, medieval and most modern literature often refers to the Yoga school of Hinduism simply as Yoga

The Yoga school's systematic studies to better oneself physically, mentally and spiritually has influenced all other schools of Indian philosophy.

It is very similar to Samkhya school

The Yoga school of Hinduism differs from the closely related Samkhya school by incorporating the concept of a "personal, yet essentially inactive, deity" or "personal god" (Ishvara).

While the Samkhya school suggests that jnana (knowledge) is a sufficient means to moksha (ending the cycle of rebirth), the Yoga school suggests that systematic techniques and practice, or personal experimentation, combined with Samkhya's approach to knowledge, is the path to moksha.

>Nyaya

This school's most significant contributions to Indian philosophy was systematic development of the theory of logic, methodology, and its treatises on epistemology.

It accepts 4 proofs of gaining reliable knowledge - Perception, Inference, comparison/analogy and testimony of past or present reliable experts

It holds that human suffering results from mistakes/defects produced by activity under wrong knowledge (notions and ignorance).

Moksha (liberation), it states, is gained through right knowledge.

Correct knowledge is discovering and overcoming one's delusions, and understanding true nature of soul, self and reality.

>Vaisheshika

In its early stages, the Vaiseṣika was an independent philosophy with its own metaphysics, epistemology, logic, ethics, and soteriology.

Over time, the Vaiseṣika system became similar in its philosophical procedures, ethical conclusions and soteriology to the Nyaya school of Hinduism, but retained its difference in epistemology and metaphysics.

The epistemology of Vaiseṣika school of Hinduism, like Buddhism, accepted only two reliable means to knowledge: perception and inference

Vaisheshika school is known for its insights in naturalism, and it is a form of atomism in natural philosophy.

It postulated that all objects in the physical universe are reducible to paramaṇu (atoms), and one's experiences are derived from the interplay of substance (a function of atoms, their number and their spatial arrangements), quality, activity, commonness, particularity and inherence.

According to Vaiseṣika school, knowledge and liberation were achievable by complete understanding of the world of experience.

>Mimamsa

The school of Mimaṃsa consists of both atheistic and theistic doctrines, but the school showed little interest in systematic examination of the existence of God.

Rather, it held that the soul is an eternal, omnipresent, inherently active spiritual essence, and focused on the epistemology and metaphysics of dharma.

For the Mimaṃsa school, dharma meant rituals and social duties, not devas, or gods, because gods existed only in name.

>Vedanta

It does not stand for one comprehensive or unifying doctrine.

Finds Upanishads as the ultimate source of gaining knowledge.

Rather it is an umbrella term for many sub-traditions, ranging from dualism to non-dualism

he Vedanta school has had a historic and central influence on Hinduism.

>Nastika Schools

>Pashupata Shaivism

Pashupatas disapprove of the Vaishnava theology, known for its doctrine servitude of souls to the Supreme Being, on the grounds that dependence upon anything cannot be the means of cessation of pain and other desired ends.

They recognize that those depending upon another and longing for independence will not be emancipated because they still depend upon something other than themselves.

According to Pashupatas, spirits possess the attributes of the Supreme Deity when they become liberated from the 'germ of every pain'.

>Shaivism

Reveres Shiva as the Supreme Being or its metaphysical concept of Brahman.

Like much of Hinduism, the Shaiva have many sub-traditions, ranging from devotional dualistic theism such as Shaiva Siddhanta to yoga-oriented monistic non-theism such as Kashmiri Shaivism.

It considers both the Vedas and the Agama texts as important sources of theology.

>Pratyabhijna

The central thesis of this philosophy is that everything is Shiva, absolute consciousness, and it is possible to re-cognize this fundamental reality and be freed from limitations, identified with Shiva and immersed in bliss.

Thus, the slave (pasu - the human condition) becomes the master (pati - the divine condition).

When did public defecation become a cultural practice?

>Rasesvara

A Shaiva philosophical tradition which arose around the commencement of the Christian era.

It advocated the use of mercury to make the body immortal.

>Mistranslation of Manu-Smriti
>Rampant poverty
>Mistaking lack of availability to ancestors as a tradition.

Vedic India was a great White Nordic civilization made on swarthy dravidian soil.

Unfortunetaly, The Nordic Aryans race-mixed, and we can't see as many Blond people in India as during the Vedic period :(

>Paṇini Darsana

This school strictly follows the teachings of Panini, an ancient Sanskrit linguist, grammarian, and a revered scholar in Hinduism.

>Charvaka

Ancient school of Indian materialism.

Charvaka holds direct perception, empiricism, and conditional inference as proper sources of knowledge, embraces philosophical skepticism and rejects Vedas, Vedic ritualism, and supernaturalism.

The Charvaka epistemology states that whenever one infers a truth from a set of observations or truths, one must acknowledge doubt; inferred knowledge is conditional.

It is considered an example of atheistic schools in the Hindu tradition.

>How did Hinduism managed to survive for so long?
>Why is Hinduism is one religion even though there are so many schools of thoughts which are completely different to each other?
>How did Hinduism survived the Age of Buddha?

>Adi Shankaracharya

An early 8th century Indian philosopher and theologian who consolidated the doctrine of Advaita Vedanta.

He is credited with unifying and establishing the main currents of thought in Hinduism.

He also explained the key difference between Hinduism and Buddhism, stating that Hinduism asserts "Atman (Soul, Self) exists", while Buddhism asserts that there is "no Soul, no Self".

Shankara traveled across the Indian subcontinent to propagate his philosophy through discourses and debates with other thinkers.

He is reputed to have founded four mathas ("monasteries"), which helped in the historical development, revival and spread of Advaita Vedanta of which he is known as the greatest revivalist.