Is r/AskHistorians a good place to study history?

Is r/AskHistorians a good place to study history?

Other urls found in this thread:

users.trytel.com/~tristan/towns/florilegium/flor00.html
deremilitari.org
sourcebooks.fordham.edu/Halsall/mod/modsbookfull.asp
desuarchive.org/his/thread/3467048/#3510878
piers.chass.ncsu.edu/texts/W/intro
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ole-Johan_Dahl
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristen_Nygaard
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edvard_Munch
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I dunno but if you have a question it sure is better than here, assuming you get an answer.

fairly good, good moderation and knowledgeable people

>answer someone's question
>get post deleted for answer being to short
>complain
>get banned
Fuck off

>give someone a shitty answer with no sources
>waaah why was my shitty answer removed
kys

It's automatically better since there's no /pol/tards to shit it up.

>was it x or y
>it was x because....
I answered the question and gave a reason, fuck off. Obvious things don't need sources unless asked

The majority of questions don't seem to get any answers (that don't get deleted, anyway) and if you do get an answer it's not likely to be relevant to what you asked. But if you do get a revevant answer it can be very valuable.

why would the study of history which ignores the universally (until 1950) accepted facts of racial difference be better than one which takes it into account?

I'm racist myself yet I really really hate you people. You have a certain mindset and behavior that's incredibly annoying.

>MUH EBIL POL BOOGEYMAN

You really don't know how difficult you retards make it to have any kind of discussion here.

they are retarded, end of the line.
are they always parroting the same false things, yes

found the p*Loid

why do u niggas always feed the poltards

Because people believe race is the major factor into all of this.

If you want actual historical discussion with proper sources, it's indefinetly better than Veeky Forums.

Why would a study of physics which ignores the universally (until 1900) accepted fact of the luminiferous aether be better than one which takes it into account?

Veeky Forums needs to do something about the /pol/ tards. They fuck up everything they touch.

No. They just give you the standard, least offensive answer possible and use one book as a citation. You'd get the same from reading Wikipedia. I tried a few times to use them when writing an essay and I got fucking nothing and all other pertinent answers were worthless. Use books and the library, there are real, researched and learned historians who present multiple claims and perspectives rather than the garbage, dishwater crap of reddit. It's pophistory masquerading as real history. At least here we recognize it's casual and don't murder any contributions not approved by big daddy moderator. Fuck anyone who tries and advocate them as anything even remotely formal. Go find some essays, this was the real gold when I studied. A lot of interesting claims like the increase of economic diversity and wealth in Acre during crusader rule

> I tried a few times to use them when writing an essay

You have to be 18 to post here, my child

They actually source their posts so it's better than 99% of this board, although that's not much of an achievement

Yes, its a great resource. /pol/ hates it because it debunks their simplistic narratives.

Lol you're a fucking pleb
They are loads more informative than 98% of posters here

Yes, but they go too far in the opposite direction.

>Hitler died in 1945
>[DELETED] for no citation

I'm 22 and a history major. I google for reads and material on the subject to start, askhistorians comes up often
The book compilations we have are great, especially the one on Italian city states, ive used a few of the books on there before this board existed. Askhistorians really isn't that great past a cursory overview. The only pleb is the person who tries to defend that overmoderated shithole by comparing it to a casual shithole. No one goes on Veeky Forums expecting quality discussion.

The subreddit itself doesnt claim to be a definitive guide and it IS meant for a cursory overview. For a layman, they usually provide the best cursory overview one could get with excellent recommendations for further reading. Of course, it wont be as definitive of a resource to someone actually studying history

Ay senpai, what's a good place on the internet to study general history besides Wikipedia? Particularly, ancient times and medieval times. I'm interested in a overview in which I don't miss too much stuff and that shows up how the day-to-day lives of common people where like, if possible.

Is there a good open source book for that either?

>Askhistorians really isn't that great past a cursory overview.
It's a subreddit. It sounds like you're thinking of it (and possibly tried to use it) as an actual source, which is beyond moronic. As a general rule, no internet resource outside of online versions of academic journals should be taken seriously for research purposes.

Strict moderation with a userbase of confirmed degree holders, and a requirement for sources. Yes it is good for random tidbits of history

read the op. also, if you don't care about studying in depth and want a good summary, wikipedia is far superior, even if it is over moderated as well it actually has a place to challenge things.

I haven't studied antiquity much so I really can't give you anything there. The only caveat with studying the daily life and society of the middle ages is that it can be incredibly varied depending on region and time period. It's one of the reasons that the dumb feudalism pyramid is reviled. As far as books go, I'd say The Early Growth of the European Economy and Rural Economy and Country Life in the Medieval West both by Georges Duby are good. I've heard other people recommend Jacques Le Goff's Medieval Civilization 400 - 1500 but I've never read it. The Chivalrous Society by Duby is also good read but focuses obviously on knights and stuff. The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England is pretty good too. As far as getting books, googling them first will sometimes work. Archive.org will often have older books uploaded. Project gutenberg sometimes has stuff. bookz is probably has the most selection. Articles can be a bit tricky, sometimes they're released free and sometimes not. If your serious, pony up and pay jstor
>users.trytel.com/~tristan/towns/florilegium/flor00.html
This has some good reads on society and city life.
>deremilitari.org
For your military autism needs, this one has plenty of essays. Of course all these should be viewed as essays and not definitive truth, there's still some fun things in there.
>sourcebooks.fordham.edu/Halsall/mod/modsbookfull.asp
More primary sources, not much specifically medieval stuff but still some interesting things and mostly pertinent.

Yale has some courses on youtube. The Great Courses are pretty good as well, I'd just pirate them. There are multiple paste bins and compilation images with books that are circling around, but that might be a bit too specific

No. You don't learn history on social media or web fora. You learn it from books and peer-reviewed papers. The only place online you're going to get help studying history is JSTOR and other repositories of academic journals and bibliographies.

I'm going to tell you the same thing I tell every idiot on this board: DO. THE. FUCKING. READING.

I think they are OK. Maybe the mods are too tough, but at least this guarantees the answerd that stay are decent.

Are you mentally retarded?
/pol/ doesn't care about them either way.
Or are you some paranoid person who sees /pol/ everywhere?

They have good book lists.

>Go find some essays
Any tips on that?

Use JSTOR

r/badhistory, r/WarCollege, and r/badeconomics are better. I've never actually found what I was looking for on r/askhistory and most of your questions tend to get ignored.

Thanks m8
Can I ask you for that compilation on Italian city states too? I've downloaded many charts but not that one.

Communist circlejerk, like most of reddit

University websites often have depositories of PDFs with authors ranging from undergrads to PhDs

Source your answer, cuck. It's /r/AskHistorians, not /r/AskHobbyHistorians

It's a great sub to learn history.

Thanks for the detailed response, mate. I'll save it with my highest regards, no homo.

Currently trying to get a bit of the late medieval mentality with historical works like Canterbury Tales.

Fag

Dropping red-pills brother. 1488. These (((Veeky Forums))) faggots are full of cucks and cultural Marxists and postmodernists and kikes. They actually think Hitler did something wrong lol. Together we will protect the Christian white race and tell those European cucks how to run their countries like America. DEUS VULT!!

here's genoa, I don't have the city-states one it seems but it does exist.
desuarchive.org/his/thread/3467048/#3510878

of course. read piers plowman if you want more, I enjoyed it a lot
piers.chass.ncsu.edu/texts/W/intro

forgot image like a retard

>ctrl f pol
>like ten results
>only 5 unique ips
hmmm

5 images, dumb dumb

I HATE REDDIT WHYD U BRING EM HERE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

yes but no

if you want regulation go to reddit

That's pretty much all that's left here, particularly on the smaller, slower boards where they bleed into. Veeky Forums was done years ago. We're still drawn to an empty husk. I don't know why. If you thought Veeky Forums was going to work you're a fool.

idk

It's better than Veeky Forums but that doesn't mean shit.

gtfo you false flagger. You make anyone that isn't a lefty look bad.
I've only seen people complaining about /pol/ on here, never a full on /pol/ invasion like you faggots are trying to suggest.

Why do poltards always post shit like this? you aren't a boogeyman, you're fucking right there arguing with me you retarded fag.

Mods are way too strict, so you have a tiny fraction of answered questions and a lot more comment graveyards. But the archives are worth searching and they have some okay book recs.

I thought we were supposed to strawman /pol/ as being neo-pagan atheists snowniggers.

pol these days has mass crossover with /r/the donald

Online discussion is not study, no matter how quality it is. It can lead you to good resources, and open you up to a topic so you can study it on your own, but it's absolutely not a replacement for study.

The history section of stackexchange looks neat if you've got some factual questions.

It's okay. Lots of questions can be subjective, and an answer only gives one persons perspective. Asking something complicated like 'why did Rome fall?' is more likely to give you a misleading overview than a true, detailed understanding of it. Overall a lot better than anywhere else to get an answer. Funner to discuss things on Veeky Forums though, and you'll get a wider breadth of opinions if you dodge the /pol/tards.

No, a better way to study history is to read a book and learn how to properly cite and interpret sources, maybe a learn another language so you can read more into a specific area you're interested in.
>>>/leddit/

>you dodge the /pol/tards.
Oh you mean avoid other people's opinions?

No, /pol/tards. They are as bad as We Wuzzing African fucks because they have a juvenile understanding of history.

There's opinions and then there are claims the Jews caused WW1, Africa is a golden land of bounty than the white man would have easily prospered in, and inserting race theory into every nook that it never even belonged in, and accusing everyone of being a nigger when they remotely disagree with unfounded /pol/ assertions.

>Nordics have an high IQ and have accomplished a disproportionate amount of scientific and literary achievements
>DURR WE WUZ VIKANGZ FUCK OFF /pol/TARD
The problem here is that you're thinking anyone who is proud to be white is a nordicist or a pan-aryan natsoc fag
>Jews caused WW 1
Ever tried to talk with a natsoc fag or fascist on how Jews caused WW 1? Probably not, because they usually chalk it up to capitalism where Jews are heavily involved in and goes beyond "Dude WW 1 was caused by one factor"
>Inserting race theory into everything
Except if rightists insert it into anything you get the exact same anti-dialectical reaction regardless of relevancy

>I'm not a stormfag or a natsoc or a-anything like that, I just want the jews to be gassed!

Just hang yourself retarded alt cuck.

I'm a rightists, and I used to be a leftist and a liberal. That should be plainly obvious. That doesn't make me natsoc, and that doesn't make me a fascist.

Tell me where I'm wrong , please by all means tell me how you've actually gained a large understanding of reactionary doctrines by telling opposing dialectic to fuck off

>Nordics aren't even an actual genetic or cultural fucking group outside of the mind of deluded retards
>They've literally done nothing noteworthy whatsoever in their entire history
delusional/10

>Be me
>Spanish

The average 4channer is well aware of reactionary doctrines in their full. It's real hard not to be when /pol/ shoves it down my throat even over on /a/. The people telling you to fuck off are doing so because the understand ideology and reject it, not because they don't understand it and reject it.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ole-Johan_Dahl
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristen_Nygaard
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edvard_Munch

>I heard a guy say he didn't like niggers therefore I'm well read on the likes of De Maistre, Evola, Sorel, Yukio Mishima, Oswald Spengler, Nick Land
>I know all about the Iron Guard and the Falange, integralism,etc
>Idealism, biological determinism, there is nothing I don't know about rightists

Yeah... No

Why do pol/lacks want a safe space?

>Be me
>Literally tell user that you need to listen to other opinions because that's what adults do
>"Why does /pol/ need a safe space"
>Brainlet.jpg

>I used to be

What a load of shit

Bakunin > Margs

>Nation of discovery
>It's actually country of discovery
>And not "nationality of discoverer" so countries can get free points from immigrants

BUT

Aristocracy > proletariat

> have theories, opinions, and views that are politically incorrect
> Have a board for such topics. A safe space if you will
> goes into other boards where this is not the case and starts spamming shit nobody wants
> wonders why people hate him
Really makes you think

I have no idea what the fuck that means. Who's Margs?

Which is why the US shouldn't be credited with these, and most of these discoveries should be made by Germans and Nordics :D

Garl Margs = leftypol meme name of Karl Marx

>actually talking to /pol/niggers

They're too dumb to understand, in the off chance they do, they don't care and they have a lot of time on their hands between posting for the world's most autistic and inbred collage at rallies. Don't bother

>Who wants to debate history and humanities on the board dedicated for it if someone disagree with you on history and humanities?
>Brainlet.jpg

Is that Spurdo talk?

>Garl Margs X:DDDDDD

Yes, also leftypol is the most autistic place on the internet. It's so autistic that it took the ironic memes of yiluata and posts them unironically

I'm not even sure what leftypol is and where I can find it(them?). I'd assume it's just red /pol/niggers, aka tankies

>stalin dindu nuffin those 30 million had it coming
>fucking sparrows REEEEEEE

Do they hate Jews too? That would be funny. Communism has been heavily antisemitic since Stalin.

Is leftypol more autistic than regular pol, or are they the same level autism expressed differently?
pic related

>where I can find it.
if you google lefty pol you should find it
>Do they hate Jews too?
If you support Israel probably

8ch*n. Right next 8pol, a place only slightly less autistic but ten times more spergy at the same time.
>Do they hate Jews
No, they hate israel tho, but always counter signal anti-Semitism. I remember that days when I was an anarchist.

So much cringe
Far worse than regular /pol/ t b h, almost on par with 8pol, almost

>projection: the post

No one cares about pol other than people trying to wedge complaints about pol into every thread that can be construed as being slightly controversial. As for the op question I recommend surfing through many online forums and Wikipedia to get an introduction to the subject and reading recommendations. It will help you before going in depth on the subject.

>Far worse than regular /pol/
Yeah I could see that. I have honestly never stayed on the board long enough to grasp its true level of autism

Im right wing but low iq poltards need to be shot

If you're right wing you definitely need to have them shot since you absolutely do not want to be associated with them.

Don't, for the love of God user. Stay away from the the /pol/'s

It's like /int/ but with no flags and everyone ranges from kinda nazi to "Hitler was too kind" edgyness. And everyone is competing over who's white or not. What they don't get is that when you look like pic related, melanin is no longer an issue

>Everyone competes over who is white or not
Except for the Asians and the Mexicans, also /int/ a shit. /pol/ used be comfy as fuck then ledditors had to come and ruin it. The last good meme /pol/ will ever make is moon man