What's the deal with old school physical anthropology?

What's the deal with old school physical anthropology?

Other urls found in this thread:

philipperushton.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/iq-race-brain-size-gender-rushton-intelligence-1994.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craniometry
thealternativehypothesis.org/index.php/2016/04/15/the-validity-of-iq/
som.yale.edu/news/news/why-high-iq-doesnt-mean-youre-smart
phys.org/news/2015-03-uncovers-flawed-iq-scoring.html
thealternativehypothesis.org/index.php/2016/04/15/cultural-bias-on-iq-tests/
thealternativehypothesis.org/index.php/2016/04/15/multiple-intelligences-emotional-intelligence-creativity-and-g/
iapsych.com/iqmr/fe/LinkedDocuments/flynn1987.pdf
ac.els-cdn.com/S0010028599907351/1-s2.0-S0010028599907351-main.pdf?_tid=1f7cd044-b830-11e7-87c6-00000aacb361&acdnat=1508790428_7c32f26e48c3bcba131cf4c8737fd113
thealternativehypothesis.org/index.php/2016/09/10/the-flynn-effect-race-and-iq/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Craniology
>Phrénology
>Bertillon
>Lacassagne
>Lombroso
>Atavism
Was built on biological racism assumptions and got quickly debunked then outdated.

Craniology is still used to gauge the intelligence of hominids

There is some truth to it - for example, I can tell a shqiptar by his face

Cranial volume is related to IQ

philipperushton.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/iq-race-brain-size-gender-rushton-intelligence-1994.pdf

Coon apparently spent a few years studying the ghegs of northern Albania, have been trying to find a pdf

They hadn't discovered ways to observe things at the molecular level yet so they didn't have many facts to work with.

>Philippe Rushton, head of the Pioneer Fund
>Pioneer Fund is an American non-profit foundation established in 1937 "to advance the scientific study of heredity and human differences". The organization has been described as racist and "white supremacist" in nature, and as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center
That's exactly why craniology has long been abandoned by actual scientists. It has little to no ground in reality, just racist agendas

What is...that...thing? It's freaking me out. Looks Hungarian.

Facts don't care about your feelings.

>this type of research is done by racist institutions
>these institutions are racist because they do this type of research
Pure, unadulterated tautology.

>Says the liberal smugly after searching for and repeating something from a website that contains the correct opinion, comforting himself in the fact that the thinking has already been done for him

That's right. This is why I don't care if some half-white /pol/tards want to believe there is a scientific validation for their racism, the truth remains whatever how they feel and what they believe.

Go make a thread about cultural anthropology then instead of shitting up this one.

Craniology is just "the closer the shape of your head is to standard caucasian the better you are at everything"
Caucasians ARE better at everything, of course, but the shape of their heads has nothing to do with it.

Why don't you simply go back on the containment board you belong to and stop ruining this perfectly fine board with your racist fantasies?

>implying
Craniology favors asians and eskimos if we're going to reduce people's worth strictly to their brain volume. But that's not what this thread is about. It's about physical anthropology more broadly but everyone insists on being butthurt about it.

Post more old school physical anthropology pictures.

to an extent. neanderthals have more cranal capacity than we do yet it is disputed whether they were actually more intelligent than us

There's nothing racist about physical anthropology no matter how hard you insist on screeching.

their skill at producing industrial levels of birch tar is beyond our ability to replicate with their methods

they may have invented art

Please don't take this shit seriously. It's fun seeing people in the past and their research (prone to many extreme flaws) in it but all that shit is total bunk in today's science

What is bunk about human phenotypical diversity? What cloistered all white suburb do you live in that merely noting physical differences between disparate populations is "flawed"?

There is nothing in this thread you won't see taking a stroll through midtown Manhattan.

>biological racism assumptions
>>got outdated

this phrase is nonsensical, restructure

>debunked

lol

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craniometry
>Charles Darwin used craniometry and the study of skeletons to demonstrate his theory of evolution first expressed in On the Origin of Species (1859).

evolution denier detected

>More direct measurements involve examinations of brains from corpses, or more recently, imaging techniques such as MRI, which can be used on living persons. Such measurements is used research on neuroscience and intelligence.
>Brain volume data and other craniometric data is used in mainstream science to compare modern-day animal species, and to analyze the evolution of the human species in archaeology.
>Measurements of the skull based on specific anatomical reference points are used in both forensic facial reconstruction and portrait sculpture.

lol

there's at least threads up on catalog way more blatantly racist and "problematic" than this, including a thread asking if civil rights act from the 60s was a mistake with 20+ replies that's been up for hours

physical anthropology is offered at pretty much any cc and little has changed in this field other than no more cool autistic pictures of people in cool ethnic dress and shying away from hard generic determinism when it comes to intelligence

I'm surprised liberal creationism has maintained itself as much as it has - it takes some serious cognitive dissonance to be pro-science in every aspect, want to force Christians to take classes in evolution but when it comes to human biology we can't say anything but everyone is equal.

It is fundamentally a religious belief.

prior to the widespread knowledge of genetics it was a way to classify different people.
Like all forms of classification it is ultimately arbritrary.

>Southern Poverty Law Center
The ADL is credible SPLC is legit a fraud

>described as racist and "white supremacist" in nature, and as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center

You know the ADL was founded to get a rapist and muderer out of legal trouble simply because he was Jewish, right?

Can someone tell me wtf that dude is supposed to be? Is that some kind of weird deformity or is it just some inbred from up high in the ! mountains?

That's a bulgarian model m8

>muh phrenology
Every fucking time. Phrenology was discarded well before serious work began in physical anthropology began late in the 19th century. Fucking r*ddit constantly has to muddy the waters.

It's measuring for too many different things to be a science.

As an art you can probably make some loose predictions.

It's a french wrestler, Maurice Tillet. I think he had some sort of gigantism.

Acromegaly, to be precise.

So Neanderthals are often said to have been less intelligent than humans despite having a larger cranial capacity, because they had a smaller frontal lobe due to a small and sloping forehead. Excuse my possible retardation, but why then can't the same logic be applied to humans? I mean, the difference between a person with a tiny and sloping forehead and a person with a tall, large and straight forehead is quite significant.

IQ is bullshit.
It was shit science. They speculated shit like physical characteristics meant being prone to committing crime (outside of skin color of course). Criminality in based largely in genetics so they weren't wrong with their racist assumptions necessarily. Forensic anthropology relies on skeletal morphology to determine one's race and it works.

>IQ is bullshit.
Try again

thealternativehypothesis.org/index.php/2016/04/15/the-validity-of-iq/

相人,古之人无有也,学者不道也

- 荀子, 非相

haha

they probably had really good memory and cognitive reserve at least

>their skill at producing industrial levels of birch tar is beyond our ability to replicate with their methods
Clearly this means they used other methods than we believe they had or that our model of prehistoric birch tar production is otherwise wrong, unless you're trying to imply they figured out magic methods we can't even grasp our heads around.

>they may have invented art
Even literal retards can do art.

som.yale.edu/news/news/why-high-iq-doesnt-mean-youre-smart
phys.org/news/2015-03-uncovers-flawed-iq-scoring.html

Reminder that liberals would tear down society rather than admit nigs are stupid

>literal retards can do art
regardless they invented pitch and bound spearpoints to their shafts with it among other things, on a truly impressive scale we can't match using their technology.

>see link
>open website
>don't read the article
>click the "about us page"
>laugh

>We do not advocate genocide, slavery, or any other kind of “supremacist” action. So, if that is what you mean by “racist” then we are not it. On the other hand, we do endorse the factual statements, supported by a wealth of scientific evidence, that human populations differ in socially important ways for genetic reasons and that racial diversity does a great deal of societal harm. We also defend the prescriptive statement that White nations have just as much of a right as Asian or African nations to defend themselves from demographic displacement. If you think that is “racist” then fine, we are racist. Now explain why we are wrong.

>This website is not an academic journal. As such, while articles are often discussed with peers prior to being published, they are not put through a formal process of peer review. As is covered in our “core issue” article on peer review, peer review wasn’t around for most of the history of science, literally meaningless fake papers have passed peer review, and experiments have shown that peer review normally fails to catch basic errors in submitted papers.

>You can’t assume that an argument or analysis is sound just because it passed peer review. >Conversely, you obviously cannot assume that an argument or analysis is not sound just because it was not peer-reviewed.
> we exist within the online community of people which has become the alt-right, we know many people who run notable alt-right sites, and our ideology exists within the alt-right if one has a “big tent” conception of the movement.

You're lost in a deep deep confirmation bias /pol/
This site is nothing but garbage pseudoscience

The populations are different, so why should it be the case that the norms would be the same?

Canada's proportion of the East Asian population is higher than the proportion of the US Black population

>Don't read the article (all of which are heavily cited by the way, find some reason to discard it because its not something you already believe)
Nice projection there guy

>"A says B is wrong about x, but A isn't B so A is wrong"

>association fallacy

>physical anthropology is offered at pretty much any cc and little has changed in this field
You've either never taken a physical anthropology course, or you were so desperate to find racism in everything that you deliberately ignored everything that didn't agree with you.

woah look how conveniently you omitted the rest of my post

>literally meaningless fake papers have passed peer review so that's why we didn't do a peer review

W E W

Do you imagine what it is for us actual scholars, who went through the whole history of a scientific discipline, its epistemology, the philosophy of sciences, the bias and critics of our field, the concurrent disciplines discourses on our studies, peer reviewing, fact checking... For years.
We know your alt-right rhetoric by heart, we understand your own ideas better than you do but still you want us to "read my long ass redpill website" or "watch this 50+ min Youtube e-celeb talking about IQ and Race"
Please. We just look at the sources and dismiss anything not worth our time. You should be glad for the time we spend here giving you an actual analysis for the world you live in.

@3575648
>a high level of discourse is expected
(you) denied

WE

@3575648
Not an argument, appeal to authority, appeal to popularity, ad hominem yadda yadda yadsa

thank you, that was needed

t. social anthropology brainlet

>Says the liberal smugly, comforted in the fact that someone has already done the thinking for him

A manifestation of the autistic European obsession with cataloguing minutiae that other races ignore.

>he thinks one source being bad discredits an entire field

low IQ detected

Jesus, guys, are you really this upset that someone doesn't trust a site which boasts "ultimately, we don't ask you to trust us"?

I read one of Coon's books, the ones about the races of europe, seems more or less spot on. I'm only a laymen but I feel as more time passes classical physical anthropology ideas will probably be vindicated more and more especially a weak form of the multiregional hypothesis, they're already dialing back pretty hard on strict OOA. Iirc Coon and his clique speculated interbreeding between cro magnid and Neanderthals decades before the genes indicating interbreeding were found.

>minutiae that other races ignore
it's funny how racist you braindead faggots are without realizing it

>Sign someone is a brainlet #1:
>Relies solely on where information comes from rather than the information itself in determining it's value

uni?

I read the damn article, and it's not entirely shit but not necessarily enough to convince me in and of itself

I well aware of how racist I am user.

currently doing TA work at pic related before I start postgrad

That IQ has meaning?

How about we look into oft cited cultural bias
thealternativehypothesis.org/index.php/2016/04/15/cultural-bias-on-iq-tests/

Or how about Multiple Intelligence Theory, how does that compare?
thealternativehypothesis.org/index.php/2016/04/15/multiple-intelligences-emotional-intelligence-creativity-and-g/

Yes, well that IQ has meaning beyond my own limited estimation of it. I will continue to read your articles but keep in mind it's mostly because I find the website funny

Why are you reading blogs about the validity of iq anyway?

Psychometrics are probably the most scientific part of psychology as a discipline period, you don't need to resort to reading a site that revolves around "race realism" for information on the validity of iq.

Godspeed anthropobro

Because if IQ has validity and different groups have different results, that contradicts the narrative of widespread racial oppression.

user, they're claiming that you can't definitively measure intelligence. Which means they can't differentiate between rocket scientists and children or literal retards, it's an indication of their mental perspective.

Try to talk to them about crystalline and fluid intelligence in relation to age, and they turn into drooling babies. There's no point in it.

Nice. A couple of my masters committee members really tried pushing me to doing a PhD at either Santa Cruz or Berkeley. I still think about it, but I need a break after going through a masters program; I've already been in school for way too long, and I want to get professional experience before plopping myself into the workforce at 30 with no real job history besides being an RA.

I know they're just useful idiots that will use tactical nihilism to deny reality.

A successful argument convinces the audience, not the participants.

sophistry at it's most profane desu

thanks man, you too. Geez, you guys were a university WAY back when phrenology was unironically being studied by anthropologists. We were founded by a bunch of hippies in the 60's. That banana slug looks garish when compared to ULB; the original students chose it to "break with the norm" in naming their mascot. Mad props.

And for the conservative folks in here, I would love to talk about where you guys got your degrees haha

>resident assistant
>us actual scholars, who went through the whole history of a scientific discipline, its epistemology, the philosophy of sciences, the bias and critics of our field, the concurrent disciplines discourses on our studies, peer reviewing, fact checking... For years.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Double Major Computer Science and History.

We're still waiting for a cross-cultural testing methodology. Your definition of intelligence is not universal. That's why your comparisons are biased and not scientific. Plus the fact you're pushing this hard to compare result between "races", politically constructed categories with no biological ground, makes your bias clearly visible
>muh I'm not racist I'm just a race "realist"

There is a cross-cultural IQ test, its called Raven's progressive matrices.

>We're still waiting for a cross-cultural testing methodology.
idiot

>Your definition of intelligence is not universal.
Yup, you can't universally measure intelligence. Therefore it's impossible to objectively differentiate between your average chimp and scientist.

Yeah man, the weather's nice out here and I'm in pretty tight with Triloki Pandey, an old veteran of anthropology academia who taught at Cambridge and Northwestern before coming out to California. He's a real swell guy, sometimes he and his wife have me over for dinner. Somebody you'd definitely wanna know if you ever come out here, he knew practically every significant American or British anthropologist in the last ~50 years.

say hello to petey pete for me

Research assistant, you moron. I'm also not the guy that made that post.

A couple of different professors hired me to carry out research and do analysis for them in grad school. I was a paid researcher in my university's anthro department, and wrote reports for federal government projects.

game recognize game. Attending a nauseatingly liberal school for undergrad actually has given me a significantly more conservative outlook, but I try to conduct myself as an academic so if it preachy then into the trash it goes.

Sounds cool. I actually probably have connections to Pandey, since it looks like he's worked in the southwest, but I'm an archaeologist, so I probably wouldn't have much to do with him. The main person at Santa Cruz I have a connection to is Tsim Schneider; my advisor is friends with him, and was trying to get me assigned to him (before even applying), because he's generally into the same kind of research that I am.

It's always good to have connections to big shots, though. One of the guys at my university is a total mess who hasn't published anything in years, but saying I know him has been good in a few situations.

Yeah, funny thing about Pandey is he's a total namedropper too. Always talking about how he'd go out drinking with Levi-Strauss and Jack Goody. More people with little relation to physical anthro, the cozy sphere of academia and campus is where we thrive. You discover things, we talk about them.

Wow. We killed the thread by returning to the original topic.

Thank you. I went through some articles using this test.

>IQ Gains and Between-Groups Differences
>Conclusion. Between-groups score differences on IQ tests
may not be equivalent to intelligence differences.
>Derivation.
>As a tentative conclusion for IQ tests in general,
it has been shown that between-generations score differences
cannot be equated with intelligence differences. The magnitude
of these score differences matches the size of all major between groups
differences in the literature, whether these refer to races,
classes, or nations. Between-generations IQ differences occur
because cultural distance separates the generations—after all,
the mere passage of time counts for nothing. Therefore, unless
two groups are separated by a lesser or dissimilar cultural distance,
their score differences cannot be equated with intelligence
differences.
>Until the causal problem of what factors engender
between-generations IQ differences is solved, no one
knows what cultural variables are relevant. Therefore, no one
can show that between-groups cultural distance is dissimilar to
between-generations cultural distance.
>Assessment.
>This conclusion is a corollary of two previous
conclusions, one of which is tentative and, therefore, this conclusion
is also tentative. It does not claim that no between groups
intelligence differences exist, merely that IQ differences
cannot, at present, be used as evidence for them

Massive IQ Gains in 14 Nations: What IQ Tests Really Measure
James R. Flynn
Department of Political Studies
University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
iapsych.com/iqmr/fe/LinkedDocuments/flynn1987.pdf

>A potentially more fruitful line of enquiry is suggested by the fact that the variation in mean scores between ethnic groups within the United States does seem to correspond to variations between the same groups in height, birth weight, and infant mortality. Height and birth weight have, like intelligence test scores, increased over the past 80 years (Knight & Eldridge, 1984; Floud, Wachter, & Gregory, 1990). These observations led us to suspect that the increase in RPM scores over time might be attributable to the same factors as have been responsible for increases in height and birth weight and for decline in infant mortality—that is, to improved nutrition, welfare, and hygiene.

The Raven’s Progressive Matrices: Change and Stability
over Culture and Time
John Raven
ac.els-cdn.com/S0010028599907351/1-s2.0-S0010028599907351-main.pdf?_tid=1f7cd044-b830-11e7-87c6-00000aacb361&acdnat=1508790428_7c32f26e48c3bcba131cf4c8737fd113

thealternativehypothesis.org/index.php/2016/09/10/the-flynn-effect-race-and-iq/

[citation needed]
[citation needed]
[citation needed]
[citation needed]
Too many statements in need of a proof, too many assumptions, zero citation but that Philippe Rushton... Crops and corn allegories for dummies...
Come on. Every point he brings is already discussed in the article he's trying to debunk...

Blacks don't have sloped foreheads and they're the biggest retards on Earth.

You realize there are 6 papers referenced in that article right?

If this is true, Siberians should be geniuses.

Eskimos have a mean iq of 106 and excellent memories

They actually are pretty damn smart.