Live in Ontario Canada so need a car to get a job beyond fastfood or retail

>live in Ontario Canada so need a car to get a job beyond fastfood or retail
>Can't get drivers license nor can I afford the skyhigh insurance rates

work fastfood/retail. sometimes you just gotta do what you don't wanna do

It's useless though. There's no progression.

get a sex change so you get the woman discount
eventually you come out ahead once enough men pay for your meals

Actually I know a guy who started as a dishwasher and worked his way up to a head chef at a five star restaurant.

The industry is brutal though. A lot of managers and regional managers started at the lowest of the totem pole.

Where in Ontario? If you're living in Toronto or in a neighboring city it's pretty easy to commute for work without a car via GO train or TTC.

I tell people all the time to get into a bank. I manage a Scotiabank branch and we'll hire pretty much anyone as a teller. It might be below what you THINK you're worth (you're probably wrong)...but as long as you're not a fucking idiot you will move up and out of that incredibly fast and the possibilities in the bank are endless whether you want to stay in banking or leverage your experience to go elsewhere.

That's survivorship bias. There's thousands upon thousands of cooks who work for $13/hr with a decade of experience

Aurora

if you sell your soul to a $9/hr job they will eventually make you well off but you have to actually sell your soul to them

you can't joke with a customer "i-it's corporate my hands are tied" you have to be their personal robot and always obedient

>I manage a Scotiabank branch and we'll hire pretty much anyone as a teller.
please teach them basic grade school math thanks

>Aurora
We have two branches in your city, go get on that.

>please teach them basic grade school math thanks
We have computers to do all the math. It's the communication and deductive reasoning where the idiots usually shine through.

user believe me. I've applied LITERALLY to every single job besides fastfood or retail. Every single opening of every job.

I'm not getting shit for replies. Not even interviews. I dont know what to do. Whether to lie on my resume or what. I dont know.

dude i've been looking for a bank job! would love to work as a teller or a mutual funds dealer but I don't have any degree/diploma or certification. I got no problems studying for that stuff though, any tips on getting hired this week for part time work to help with school?

Are you at least going to school?

I asked a teller what the percentage of a particular fee was out of the whole amount. She said she didn't know how with a calculator in her hand. After being shown how she was still off by a factor of 10.

No

Bank teller job is pretty shit dude. At least at all the big canadian banks. Maybe its different at credit unions

You don't need any education to be a teller, just be personable really. We get all kinds of overqualified people applying that just fuckin suck at communicating. We've hired kids straight out of highschool that did a co-op semester with us just because they could articulate a point and communicate well. The rest of the shit can be learned.

Mutual funds dealer is a natural progression from teller too. You write a couple courses while you work with a teller and move on to that in a few months.

Yeah that kind of shit happens a lot. More often the teller will tell you to call the call center, and the call center will redirect you back to the branch. Just a game of passing it on because nobody wants to use their brain to figure it out.

isn't bank teller basically "well dressed cashier"? I've read it literally has nothing to do with finance or any growth anywhere beyond maybe branch manager

Depends. If you suck at it, then yeah, you'll end up spending your whole life working in branches. If you're good and network properly, it's a super easy way into the bank that requires no qualifications besides being able to speak well and you can work your way up through any department, getting the bank to pay for your qualifications along the way.

I think i'm okay with that, worked in sales so I have a bit of practice in face to face convos. How would I go about getting a job in the next week or two?

Okay so how the fuck do I do it. I've applied to every single job I can get to without a car in my area, barely any interviews. I just want a decent job where I can actually learn shit.

Must I lie on my resume?

Walk in with a resume and ask to speak to the manager, and make a good impression in like 30 seconds. If there's a job available, they'll remember you. I've hired a few people like that just because so many of the applicants I get are garbage.

What area do you live in?

You don't have to flat-out lie, but you do have to embellish. Overhype the fuck out of your past experience. Hiring managers know you're doing that. If you can make a job sweeping floors in a convenience store sound like you worked as the CFO for Tesla, they'll know it's bullshit, but they'll be impressed at how well you communicated it.

I only have retail experience though. Not sure how to make it seem any better.

What jobsites do you recommend? Is "simplyhired" any good?

Halton/Peel region, TD bank literally a couple steps away. Alright, walk in, smile on my face, ask to talk to a manager, present my resume. What's the dress code?

Talk about what you learned and contributed in that job. No matter what you did, the job needed you at that time right?

Yeah but it sounds pleb as fuck, not really relevant to anything besides slaving away at a similar job. I want a job where I can actually build real skills.

Present your resume but you're really just selling yourself. For entry-level branch stuff they don't care what's on your resume, they just want to know you can communicate with a customer. Dress anywhere from a suit with no jacket/tie (I usually go dress pants and dress shirt with sleeves rolled up) to a full suit. Total overkill but better to be overdressed than underdressed.

Biggest thing is make some kind of personal connection. Get the conversation to a point where you can crack a joke and you'll be stuck in their head.

Entry-level jobs in a bank are retail, so that experience is what matters. If you can talk to people you don't know, you're already qualified, and you prove that in your first interaction with anyone. The rest of the shit like product knowledge and compliance type stuff are things you can learn.

Sorry I meant like grocery store and department store bs

Come to alberta....fuck ontario.

t. former torontorian living in edmonton

Isn't there few jobs rn?

thank you man, godbless