What would the ancient greeks and romans think about modern day body builders?

what would the ancient greeks and romans think about modern day body builders?

>take everything in moderation

what do you think

Freaks that consume too much food.

ascended demi-gods who have left humanity behind

They'd laugh their asses off.

Rest in peace, piano man.

Athenians were don't respecting athletic bodies, they were more philosophers and scientists. Maybe athletic bodies reminded them serfs after hard work.

they would find it ugly af. because the ideal body for them was thin with toned muscles and proportional stature favouring running, climbing, swimming, fighting, jumping, all a huge bodybuilder can do is lift, pull, push stuff. not practical in ancient times. even in modern times.

athenians saaw a close connection between wisdom and physical fitness

Don't be stupid, both Socrates and Plato emphasized athleticism and physical health. Athenians had their own version of the Olympics, just for them.

This thread is full of idiots.
The Romans loved over the top shit, they probably would've had them fight to the death.

They would be not bad troops.

Do you mean gladiator career?

Nah, you just don't see that body much in ancient art because it's almost impossible to reach without steroids

good serfs for hard work.

He is the god of athletes, solders and loaders. Other gods, for examlple the god Asclepius have not such muscular body like the god Hercules.

and wrestlers.

Not a career, just a one-off thing like having giraffes fight hippos.

>Romans
>Moderation
Choose one

A vain and shallow pursuit that has no real world applications that they would deem unaesthetic. Can a bodybuilder throw a discus? Can a bodybuilder wrestle? Can a bodybuilder till his crops?
The greeks and romans would much more respect the body of a college athlete

The Romans were pretty famously moderate and stoic my dude

I still can't believe he's gone.

Good morning God damnit!

Order 66 Rich Piana

Order 66 Rich Piana

GOOD FUCKIN MORNING

What did the Romans do with people like janoy?

Eugenics?

They need too much food.

ITT: Fat virgins use any opportunity to discredit healthy people

>healthy
>dead

bodybuilders aren't healthy senpai-a-lam

Pianoman literally killed himself doing drugs to look like that.

gladiators were fed lots of oats and meat to bulk them up in muscle and fat. The romans would have appreciated body builders.

They'd like the aesthetics of body builders for sure.

When Romans write about Emperors having orgies and sexual promiscuity, they're not praising such acts.

In fact they usual ascribe such acts to people the writers they didn't like.

So, according to ITT:

Romans probably.
Greeks no.

steroid freaks who don't care about actual beauty of form, just getting as big as possible. they look like shit, they look like mutant monsters. they'd probably write a myth about someone slaying one of them.

WELL LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING ALEXANDER, YOU STINKY MEAN COWARD. YEAH, YOU'VE DONE IT ALL IN YOUR WORLD. YOU'VE COLLIDED WITH GIANTS, YOU'VE SMASHED THROUGH WALLS, AND YOU TOOK THE HOUSE THAT HAMMURABI BUILT AND MADE IT BIGGER, JACK. BUT NOW THAT I'VE SEEN YOU FACE TO FACE, WAITING FOR YOU TO MAKE THE FIRST MOVE, I FOUND OUT IT WAS ALL JUST AN ACT, BROTHER. YOU COULDN'T HIT ME OUTSIDE THE ARENA BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T HAVE BACKUP! YOU KNOW SOMETHING, I DON'T CARE HOW MANY GREEK LACKIES LIKE HERCULES YOU'VE GOT WAITING IN THE CORNER, IN THE SHADOWS. AT VRESTLEMANIOS, WITH ALL MY HULKAMANIACS BEHIND ME, YOU'RE GONNA FEEL YOUR FIRST TEST OF THE DEEPEST STRENGTH THAT YOU HAVE, AND WATCHA GONNA DO WHEN HULKAMANIA RUNS WILD ON YOU!

based

I remember reading in Plutarch about a Greek general, whose name I have forgotten, who wanted to ban sports like wrestling, etc, as they were detrimental to the state. He believed that the kind of careful diet and training required to be a sportsman made a man useful only for short exertions, and would not make them capable of the long exertions and deprivation required of a soldier in the field.

Body-building as art was basically conquered decades ago so now you only have people trying and failing to surpass by just upping their doses and giving themselves insulin guts