Has there been a better historical video game than Rome Total War?

Has there been a better historical video game than Rome Total War?

Other urls found in this thread:

twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?759662-Announcement-Europa-Barbarorum-II-2-3-released!&s=15b9bcc8979709acdfebc7e946cdd735
youtube.com/watch?v=ZP6aEPcadqg
youtube.com/watch?v=8DDOMJOLjYY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Red Orchestra

Total War Attila

Europa Barbarorum mod.

Vanilla RTW is shit.

Europa Barbarorum when it isn't fucking crashing

So, Europa Barbarorum or Roma Surrectum?

I went back and played Rome II and they actually fixed it, It's a worthy successor now.

1 or 2?

No
Most historically accurate.

RTW with mods may well be the best historical RTT, but certainly not the best game overall.

Also I don't know about best (because comparing through different genres is stupid), but my favourite historical games are Patrician 3 and Caesar 3

Shogun 2 captures its time period better than rtw

*Blocks your path*

DISHONORABU DISPRAY

*turns Albanians ito fuel*
Truly the greatest game

>Victoria 3 never
>If it does happen they'll probably dumb it down to extreme levels
It's a double-edged sword, but I'd risk it.

>wanting Vic III after the war crime that was Goy$

Rome and shogun 2 are very historically inaccurate. For example:
>roman ninjas
>phalangite hoplites (fixed in mods)
>"katana/yari/bow samurai units"
(game should have a single "samurai" unit and thats fucking it. This one unit is a standard japanese cavalry unit that shoots arrows, charges with a yari, and can dismount. thats what a fucking samurai is)

i could go on for a long time but im not going to, these games are not accurate at all.

They might learn from their mistakes, but that's wishful thinking.
>inb4 Social class now only 3 groups, soldiers, capitalists and workers

>Victoria 3
>dlc to play secondary powers
>no uncivs because its racist
>central planning is best economic system
>turning fascist gives you 100 infamy

Some samurai did specialize though.

In addition some Samurai couldn't afford horses. Or a full weapon set.

There were these two mods about ancient and medieval times, have they released them yet?

Too bad I've played that game to death. Can't enjoy it anymore since I've tried basically every interesting scenario. Kind of wish for a Vicky 3, but I already know it's going to be a dumbed down shit game that you need to spend several 100s of dollars to "get the full experience".

I really hate the rock-paper-scissors style of gameplay in vanilla Total War games. It's feels too artificial and gamey for me, that's why I always mod them since I can't stand playing vanilla.

>central planning is best economic system
This is already true you know. A videogame's economy, combined with pause function and all the real time 100% accurate data you need, will always perform best when micromanaged by a competent player rather than Paradox shit AIs.

>implying uncivs wouldn't be a DLC
>Vanilla would just be Europe and North Africa, unlock other continents for $19.99 each

If you want realistic modern combat, then Combat Mission series is your go to series. Too bad the games are expensive as shit, and the creator is kind of a dick.

They're both in a released state but neither one is finished

The ancient guys decided it was a better use of their time to individually model every single Roman legion instead of actually adding more factions.

EB2's newest version is finally out out after years of development, btw.

twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?759662-Announcement-Europa-Barbarorum-II-2-3-released!&s=15b9bcc8979709acdfebc7e946cdd735

>capitalists will never actually build profitable factories
I swear to god, Vic2 was commie propaganda

>micromanaging 500 factories
Yeah nah. If your country is small or has difficulty industrialising use state capitalism otherwise laissez faire works fine

Is there any release day?

>was commie propaganda
>Five trillion communist revolts that fuck everything over
Commie revolts pissed me off more than retarded capitalists, at least they would sometimes build something profitable like liquor. I once actually turned communist, decided to act as a commie and used the enforce communism casus belli on other states, then I had another revolt and I became a democracy surrounded by Commies from all sides. Was meme desu

this

>no uncivs because its racist

What are you saying? Paradox loves letting you play underdog nations and allowing the player and sometimes the AI to change everything.

EU4 can even let you build custom nations so you can play as anybody you want so long as it's not in a wasteland province. You can be an Australian aboriginal country if you wanted too.

Rome is understandable, but S2 needs separate samurai units for balance reasons because you would have a stupidly overpowered unit otherwise if every samurai did everything and had no hard counters. There would be no point in ashigaru units after you get an economy going because you could wipe the floor with ranged calvary that can also hold its own in melee.

THE DAAY IS OURURRSS

I changed the game's system files so that

>Unprofitable factories can be shut down immediately
>Factories can be built faster
>Capitalists will grow the factory after reaching 50% employment instead of 85% so that there's no excess labor supply while industrializing

Alleviates a lot of the problems that the business cycles in the games create where you get 90% unemployment when the price of luxury furniture collapses or the factories simply can't expand fast enough.

>EU4
>underdog nations
*teleports behind you*

Does anyone remember this show? Time Commanders.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZP6aEPcadqg

They used the Rome Total War base game and let people play out the battles. I adored this show as a kid.

>The ancient guys decided it was a better use of their time to individually model every single Roman legion instead of actually adding more factions.

That happens so fucking often in total war modding it drives me bananas.

>tfw running train on the Huns, made all of NE a client state and ERE my vassals as Persia
Feels good

but thats what a samurai is and thats why they were so dominant, because they were missile cav and melee cav at the same time and they could dismount when necessary. An entire group of dismounted samurai holding sidearms (katanas) is ridiculous. If you want to make a historically accurate videogame about japan you have to show why the samurai were so feared in the first place, and its because they were jacks of all trades that did whatever was needed on the battlefield. You can balance samurai via strategic elements like upkeep and unit limits i.e. stainless steel for m2, this is much better than sacrificing tactics and historical accuracy, which is why stainless steel is like the most popular m2 mod of all time because it doesnt sacrifice battlefield accuracy for balance. A unit of knights can fuck up anything in that game, but you can only replenish them like every 10 turns and you have to send them back to where they were first made, so they balance
how overpowered they are by limiting their strategic use, thats how you make a game with samurai in it, you dont turn the battlefield into an arcade.

The countries wouldn't be DLC, they'd have DLC industries and national focuses for them instead

I don't get the praise. Game is a neat battle engine but the game rewards you for playing a grand strategy style way different than how people would've historically gone about it. You're encouraged to conquer every city instead of utilizing client states. Slavery is next to not in the game. Politics minigame is ignorable. Historically questionable units. Multiple wincons all still require you to conquer most of the map. Culture system is "plant this agent here until this number drops." For that matter the entire agent system in general. Stamina system is anachronistic to reality and the unit abilities are super fucking arcadey. Not even mentioning all the balance troubles they had with chariots, elephants, heavy cav and the constant of the engine to actually not be a bag of dicks. Original Rome had half those problems and the ones it did have were magnified (even more historically inaccurate units, etc.) but at least the engine was slightly better. It still didn't have the GOAT civil war system from Medieval 1.

Game soured my opinion of CA so much I didn't bother with Atilla or Warhammer which I'm told were both pretty good.

They brought it back for a brief 3 episodes. However instead of it being a team against the AI it was 2 teams facing off against each other. Each episode was also a different game, one was Rome II, one was Atilla, and one was Napoopan.
Oh and one of the historians became a "girl" in the last decade.

>Vic2
>unciv nation
*spheres*

Samurai is such an incredibly vague term during the Sengoku Jidai it can mean anything from a rich ashigaru to the equivalent of a baron, you'd be better off having tiers of them from Ronin little better equipped than ashigaru to Hatamoto with nanban style armor instead to reflect that

Sphere China. I fucking dare you, faggot.

I like HoI[spoiler]4[/spoiler] and there's nothing you can do about it.

>The ancient guys decided it was a better use of their time to individually model every single Roman legion instead of actually adding more factions.

Why the fuck does this happen?

Legions were heavily influenced by the context of their creation and deployment, modelling them historically on an essentially alternate history set game is fucking dumb.

I can call your taste shit.

*blockades your everything*

>Why the fuck does this happen?
Turboautism

I was talking more about the economic crash you'd experience by sphering it.

thats fine, having separate samurai units based on wealth and equipment makes sense, but separating them based on 3 weapons that each samurai carried at all times is dumb. Every samurai(barring certain exceptions where they specialized within a unit) is simultaneously a swordsman, an archer, and a spearman at the same time, you wouldnt be considered a skilled samurai unless you could do all of those things, it would be like a mongol that couldnt shoot a bow, it just doesnt happen, its so integral to their style of warfare that theyd never grow up in that society without first learning how to hunt with a bow, same thing with samurai: the bow was their primary weapon and the source of most of their pride, no sense in having "specialized" archer samurai when almost all samurai were archers.
I think you shoulf play stainless steel to get an idea of what Im talking about, because it has that same system: there are different levels of knights but they all do the same thing, they dont pointlessly differentiate entire units based on a weapon because all "units" of knights in history would have massive diversity in weaponry within each unit, splitting people up in the medieva era based on what weapon theyre using just wasnt very common unless its specifically a pike wall or something, otherwise polearms, swords, hammers, pick,, etc would all be featured in the same "unit." Separate units based on actual historical units: stainless steel has templar knghts, hospitalar knights, knights of jerusalem, etc. Actual historical knight orders that have their own units with their own diversity within them. So, dont seaparate samurai based on weaponry, separate them based on income, status, schools, etc. There are better ways to create variety on the battlefield, ways that add personality and a connection with each individual unit. For instanve, I see my templar knight, i know exactly which city they came from, where to go to replenish them, how they lost each man, etc.

User input is always more efficient, most players just don't wanna bother beyond a certain size.

> profitable factories depend on supply chains being built in the same province.
> Capitalists will mess up your supply chains by building liquor factories in your steel+coal province.
> You have to tear down the Capitalist built factories to complete your own supply chain.

Fuck the AI in that game.

> Made by like 3 or 4 autists
> Expansive as fuck
> DLC whoring out the ass
> Refuse to do any marketing
> Think putting their games on steam will somehow 'ruin them'
> Lost one of their autists recently
> all development of their games go from a crawl to a depressing death rattle in the distance with no movement in sight

God I fucking hate Battlefront.com so much. Their games are surprisingly decent but their business and development sense is all kinds of fucked. I'll never get a Red Thunder add-on at this rate.

But is it done yet?

Also their retarded as fuck DRM system. I was careless and installed some of their games on earlier computers without unlicensing, and now I have to contact them if I ever want to install it on another computer besides the one I'm using currently. I've also seen one of the creators act like a cocky asshole on their forums numerous times.

>playing against that EU IV AI

Unless you pick Bosnia or fuckin' Cornwall, even using MEIOU, you'll blob all over everyone inside a century

Everything about Battlefront.com is retarded. I definitely buy some of their products despite the developers, rather than because I want to support them. I would probably buy more of their products if they weren't such pompous grognards who were stuck in the early 2000s in a lot of ways. If they just rolled over and died tomorrow I wouldn't be that broken up about it. It would be like being freed from a burden in a lot of ways.

Yeah it's completely ridiculous. Parthia has 6 different units in total while Rome has like 50 different versions of the same unit.

Steppe niggers btfo forever

> Not wanting to conquer the world with OP horse archers while being equipped in maximum comfy tactical pajama armor

>wearing purple pajamas to battle

Absolute madmen

1 obviously

>Russia doesn't have a single coal/iron province
Life is suffering

>Game soured my opinion of CA so much I didn't bother with Atilla or Warhammer which I'm told were both pretty good.

I keep hearing that Warhammer is good, but I can't really trust most fans of the series since Warhammer fans are basically cult-like in nature. Even if they they have DLC grievances and the like, they will still keep praising the game as long as it's Warhammer.

Could anyone here give an honest appraisal of Warhammer TW?

Why did /twg/ went to shit lads?
I miss comfy pre-Rome 2 threads while tripfags like Gook posted their comfy campaigns and everyone just had a good laugh and made fun of Seleucids.
Now it's just shitty warhammer faggotry whenever you post a TW thread on /v/ or on Veeky Forums and you get told to fuck off if you mention a title that isn't warhammer shit

Oldfag who bought Medieval 1 Total War at EB Games here. I have fun with Total Warhammer but it's not exactly an improvement to the series, more a side-upgrade that happens to work very well. Things like monsters, magic, heroes, and so on really do spice things up and make things fun. However the campaign mechanics aren't really that much better than Rome2/Attila. The arbitrary building system that came with Rome 2 is still around, and is just as annoying in WH. A lot of the more simulations aspects of the tactical level (formations, weapon switching for soldiers, low HP based soldier health) are all gone to make units fit more comfortably in one role, but there are a lot more roles like monsters and flying units.

I would say if a more 'casual' total war with crazy fantasy shit going on it in sounds appealing, it's definitely worth picking up in a sale. But don't really expect it to be an improvement over R2 or Attila on a mechanical level, it's mostly the same game system under the hood. I got it for 12 dollars and was happy enough with it to pick some discounted DLCs up for it, but I'm not going to buy TWW2 anytime soon either.

Holy shit do I hate Veeky Forums so fucking much. Every single franchise that I like is either same boring shitposts or constant waifu posts. Every general I've ever frequented has turned to shit at some point.

Veeky Forums was designed as a containment board for that very reason, it's working as intended

What genre?
In terms of tactical games, Steel Division AKA Wehraboo Butthurt Inducer makes a fine mix of realism and fun gameplay.
If you don't want autism simulators like Close Combat or Graviteam Tactics it's pretty great.

the general definitely started to go downhill right after Rome 2, that was an incredibly depressing time. It's sad that it's now like any other warhammer thread on Veeky Forums or /v/, but you have to admit it was on the decline already.

is /mbg/ still any good, or has waiting for Bannerlord driven them completely over the edge?

>Every Lehr player makes no attempt to support his tanks
It's fucking embarrassing

And if you WANT autism simulators on strategic scale, try Gary Grigsby's Eastern and Western front games.

I should elaborate a little more on
> However the campaign mechanics aren't really that much better than Rome2/Attila
I feel like the campaign elements of TWW are slightly worse than Attila/R2. It feels like CA just gave up on making the strategic level of the game as fun as they could, and choose to focus more on the tactical level. There's still a decent amount of strategic level there, but it feels a lot more bare bones than the previous games. Total War's strategic layer has always really just been an engine to string the vaunted tactical battles together, but it feels especially the case in the TWW games. They still make sure to give each race an interesting strategic mechanic to play with or two, but you can tell a lot of other things fell on the wayside. City building is pretty boring and there are a few incredibly optimal ways to do it, diplomacy is pretty rudimentary and is more linear than before with racial preferences, and stuff trade has been trimmed down pretty badly compared to other games.

I could go on and on about this but I still don't think they're bad games. I just think they're different. There is a lot more focus on the tactical level, and maybe it is a little more 'casualized', but the fantasy elements are pretty fun to play with.

still waiting for that War in Europe game from 1939 to 1945

What's sad is that those retards and their incessant crying probably harmed the popularity of the game.

Thanks, appreciated that you explained it so well. I have avoided Warhammer because i don't like the lore. It would be better if there was LOTR style or similar, is there any mods like that?

I think every TW game except the gunpowder ones has a LOTR mod

I liked Wargame better desu. Cold War gone hot was a really cool underused setting for video games. Going from that to the same old hedgerows that have been in hundreds of video games really dampened my spirits for Steel Division.

is HoI4 worth getting for KR?

If you don't like the lore I don't think you'll like TWW. The lore is a big reason why most people play. The Third Age mod for Medieval II Total War is probably the best LOTR mod for any Total War game, and it's pretty fantastic. If you don't mind the older total war engine, definitely give it a try.

Have even seen how much they've expanded Africa in EU4, while retaining a massive tech disadvantage surpassed only by the Indios nations? Besides, they've already stated that Victoria is purposefully Eurocentric, so the "unciv-civ" is here to stay.

>Planned economy is the best.

Already true in Vic 2, but because the economic AI is beyond retarded. "Hurr, Lemme build luxury clothes factories while we're at war" retarded.

>Fascism will give you 100 infamy

No, but, as accurate for the period, adopting communism will, and fascists will be tolerated as long as they don't dick around too much.

Yeah but no game did it like Steel Division.
I too wish they went back to Cold War, but with present system.
Or perhaps expansion to other theaters like Italy, Africa, or maybe even Eastern Front. Who knows.
But I like this personalized division system far more than Wargame deck building.

When you've got to get there fast, pop an Albanian in the tank
t. alcohol monopoly simulator 2

youtube.com/watch?v=8DDOMJOLjYY There is!

Oh yes, it is so fun. It is a really well worked mod, and they have added tech trees to almost all of the nations. Last night i played as Mongolia, invaded Tibet, Fengtian, and all of Asia, before my two stacks of cavalry marched into Russia. I was at the Black sea in 1943 and was more of a threat than Germany.

It's only worth for KR really. Problem is base game is totally fucked.

Every time this.

I fucking love EB

An acceptable answer, by any measure.

This. A lot of fun. The mod is amazing but the older engine and graphics gets old.

That's interesting, in DH KR Mongolia usually got dicked over by Japan at some point

When Japan attacked Fengtian from the North, i declared war on them and rushed them from the south. Cornered them in between me and Japan and finished them of.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought they were in pink pajamas. Then again given their stats they might as well be.

maximum aesthetic

So much this

I like the older engines better. There's a weight to the combat that isn't there in the newer games. The way that units in the newer games react immediately with perfect cohesion makes the combat very arcadey for me, the mods do help a little though.