How historically common was flaying as a form of execution? Why did they do it?

How historically common was flaying as a form of execution? Why did they do it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat-burning
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles-Henri_Sanson
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert-François_Damiens
youtube.com/watch?v=p1kwwJEM3sU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Massive amount of pain probably and also no dignity.

>How historically common was flaying as a form of execution?
That shit even happening once is too common.

>Why did they do it?
because it's very difficult to romanticize the idea of being skinned alive.

>because it's very difficult to romanticize the idea of being skinned alive.
Catholicism managed.

How were people back then even able to do shit like that? If I was handed a knife and ordered to skin someone alive I literally could not do it.

But in medieval and ancient times people would flay people, break them at the wheel, torture them, etc, like it was no big deal without a care in the world.

Was everyone back then just a literal psychopath?

It's basically as horrifying as cannibalism but you don't need to stain yourself by eating human flesh. Dehumanizes the victim utterly by treating them like an animal corpse.
Also incredibly painful in a way that's easy for onlookers to grok.

Generally, its the sense that these people did something utterly wrong and only the worst punishment should be meted to them.

Stealing a loaf of bread doesn't get you flaying.

Something like that.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat-burning

The average guy for the most part wasn't tasked with doing things like that, that's why executioner was a profession.

When you spend most of your life covered in shit and starving to death, it's safe to say you might not be the most stable of people

Life was hard back then, much harder than we could manage to bare

Oh my god that is fucked up

I don't know the exact answer to OP's question, but I do know that the Assyrians (who made the relief in OP's picture) were known especially for their cruelty in the ancient world.

Whats funny is St. Bartholomew became a patron saint of Tanners.

Think flaying is bad?

Look into scaphism.

The Persians knew how to make a man suffer all the hells of this world and more.

>look up scaphism
oh dog

>scaphism

What the FUCK

Who even sits around coming up with this shit

The average man didn't do this. Like said, it was a special career, one usually passed down in a family line.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles-Henri_Sanson

>Look into scaphism.
Maybe when I finish eating, I don't want to risk it.

I wonder how well being an executioner payed

Nowadays, about 50k a year.

People overestimate how common these types of punishments and executions in general were. They were quite rare and usually only applied to the most outrageous of crimes, e.g. high treason.

Also, a lot of supposed "punishments" were most likely never actually applied, with their only reference being the martyrdom of Christian saints, where outrageously cruel horror stories were meant to underline their devotion.

Lastly, people back then were also likely desensitised to a certain degree due to being used to animal slaughter more than people today. You can see the example of ISIS for example where the people have less reservations to cut someone's throat or behead him because they're practised the whole thing on animals countless times.

Shit like this is just inhumanly vile. Fucking persians.

How long did that take to kill you?

the question isn't will some average guy do it. it's if you can find some fucked up motherfucker that will.

>scaphism
"Delirium would typically set in after a few days"
so a few days

Delirium doesn't kill.

BRUH LOOK AT THIS DUDE
WAIT TILL YOU SEE THE
OH NO NO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

kind of does ^

It's just a slightly more sophisticated version of the barrel pillory actually.

>for the most part

The Search for the Holy Grail wasn't a documentary.

In sweden the executioner were often himself someone who'd gotten the death penalty.

Depends when and where. In the Ancien Regime and most of early modern Europe, the Royal or Ducal Executioner would be a minor noble and was paid well enough to support an aristocratic lifestyle, like all the other Royal X, and would be in charge of most executions in the region since they were rare enough. He had a bunch of assistants and subalterns who did much of the dirty work and were less handsomely paid of course.

Barrel pillory wasn't an instrument of torture but of shaming.

Not when you're strapped to a boat, you're not going to wander into traffic or anything.

About 3 days or so, death would be by dehydration.

it hurt

>We had the courage to watch the dreadful sight for four hours ... Damiens was a fanatic, who, with the idea of doing a good work and obtaining a heavenly reward, had tried to assassinate Louis XV; and though the attempt was a failure, and he only gave the king a slight wound, he was torn to pieces as if his crime had been consummated. ... I was several times obliged to turn away my face and to stop my ears as I heard his piercing shrieks, half of his body having been torn from him, but the Lambertini and Mme XXX did not budge an inch. Was it because their hearts were hardened? They told me, and I pretended to believe them, that their horror at the wretch's wickedness prevented them feeling that compassion which his unheard-of torments should have excited.
—Book 2, Volume 5, Chapter 3 1757

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert-François_Damiens

So no, people werent unphased by events like this.
Death and violence were more prevelant in the past, but outright torture was a rarity.

The most famous account of it said the victim lived for 17 days because they kept forcefeeding him milk and honey.

butchers did it all the time on animals, it was just a skill

Just googled that and what the fuck. Why the fuck did people do shit like this. What pleasure is there in doing this to someone? I'm not even a pacifist. I can understand killing people when necessary but I can't understand torture .

funfact: the Rupi Kaur book got its name because readers felt a similar feeling as the victims

>So no, people werent unphased by events like this.
Eeexcept Casanova was.
>Turned my face and stop my ears.

oh this

I actually read about a royal couple that would do this to children. I think they would coat servant girls entirely in honey and constrain them so they couldnt move in the middle of the night. The next morning they would br coated in insects. Could be wrong, its been awhile since I read that book and I dont remember what it was called

You could hire someone like Charles Manson or that cannibal guy from Milwaukee.

>Why the fuck did people do shit like this. What pleasure is there in doing this to someone? I'm not even a pacifist. I can understand killing people when necessary but I can't understand torture .

It's just a different frame of mind. Nowadays we look at death as the punishment. They looked at death as the relief from the punishment.

How long would it take to die being flayed alive? how much skin could you remove before he died?

>scaphism
youtube.com/watch?v=p1kwwJEM3sU

Well look at how effective it is. In the year of our lord 2017 people still think it is a horrible way to die. Seems like a pretty good way of keeping people in line.

uh?

your comment only makes sense if I wrote
>people werent phased

Flaying is pretty mundane desu. Ancient societies were very creative in methods of murdering people, the Chinks particularly. No wonder people committed suicide on the regular rather than surrendering.

How much of that is actually true and not the Greeks being all "lol Persian barbarians"?

Like 10%.

Most cases of flaying were done against the ring-leaders of rebels who committed to a tough resistance. These rebels were often flayed by various empires throuhout history to set an example (as they were often done publicly, and the people who did it often boast in public inscriptions about drying their skins out on the city's wall for everyone to see. It was psychological--say if you were a Merchant in the Assyrian or Achaemenid Empire, and you were confronted by some some local and ambitious nobles on your trip to one of the market, and they come to you and reveal their plan rebel from the Empire of your land and want your financial assistance, and you say "eh, maybe. Let me think it over" and the next time you go back to the city you see those guys that met you captured as prisoners, with some of them getting their skin peeled off publicly and screaming in agony, while others are already flayed and have their skinless corpse crucified on display and their skins stuffed with straw and hanging publicly with both showing signs of decay, and their wives and daughters being auctioned off into slavery and their sons getting taken away to be castrated and turned into eunuchs, you would probably say after seeing these sights "fuck ever thinking about associating with any of those people again. that's not worth it.'

you doubt any region of the world would have never done that?

Elizabeth Báthory?

On the contrary: Chinese were unimaginative in their punishments. Largely because its already fixed in the Imperial legal code: the Five Punishments.

>Light beating on the buttocks.
>Heavy beating on the buttocks.
>Penal servitude
>Exile or Frontier Servitude.
>Death

Death penalties are subdivided into 3: From least worst to worst.
>Strangulation.
>Beheading
>And the famous Death by a Thousand Cuts.

There's also Nine Familial Exterminations in the case of high treason. Where you, your mom and dad, your grandparents, your cousins, any adult children, and your wife gets beheaded. Although in the Ming Dynasty, Extermination was only done to Male Adults while male children were castrated, and the women were enslaved.

Is flaying, scaphism, ect. justifiable in extreme criminal cases, such as the murder of Junko Furuta or the Hi-Fi murders?

I would say yes but only if their guilt was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. To accidentally subject an innocent to those punishments would be incomprehensibly disgusting.

Theres no real reason to employ anything above the death penalty for murders. Treason, maybe. Eye for an eye may be just, but that doesn't make it the best system practically.

By our standards? Yes

Prior to the modern age sociopathy and psychopathy was the norm

>Casual rape
>Casual murder
>Casual kidnapping
>Casual robbery
>Casual torture

Of course this was mostly directed at foreigners, slaves, women, and children. I think 10% of kids got murdered by their own parents as babies.

No

Infanticide essentially took the role of abortion. And while pro-lifers may insist that the difference is only semantic, snuffing the life out of a crying baby you've delivered and held in your arms would certainly FEEL quite different from having a doctor euthanize some mute proto-human part of your body you may have seen in blurry ultrasound images.
I don't want to hold the mental image of shoveling dirt over a living squirming baby in my head for more than a second, and people apparently managed to live next to "baby towers" (where dozens or hundreds were abandoned to die of exposure) in spite of the constant chorus of desperate bawling. What. The. Fuck?

It's like 95% true

in medieval Persia they executed thieves by walling them up into pillars in the desert and leaving them there

The term of art, for next time, is "immurement". This may apply to any general situation where a person is sentenced to be placed into some place from which it is physically impossible for them to escape, and they are generally left there, as opposed to regular imprisonment where even prisoners get to leave their cells once in a while.

The More You Know(tm).

this is what george osborne and his pals do on their day off, for fun

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MONTRESOR

The Catholic Church tends to do that with martyrs. For example, St. Lawrence was executed via a giant grill. When he was about to die, he yelled something along the lines of "Flip me over: I'm done on this side!" For this, they made him the patron saint of cooks- and of comedians.

Discipline was very low those days, authorities had to resort to strict measures.

Even so

The destruction of human life is always tragic

kek

The Comanche tribe would sew up innocent people in untanned leather and leave them in the sun.

The leather would slowly constrict and crush the victim to death over the course of the afternoon.

Sounds like bullshit. I can imagine they would die from heat and suffocation in a leather sack in the sun, but I don't see how leather would crush a body instead of simply deforming. Just fucking elbow it.

What about the one where they impaled women via the vagina on a wooden scaffold and paraded her around until she died? That was pretty fucked up.

persian here, literally part of our PARSAAA pride education. flaying's good m8

>18th century /an/