What would happen to Christianity if

Irrefutable evidence emerged showing that Jesus was an ordinary man with no supernatural origins or abilities? Would Christians drop him altogether, or still revere him as an important and inspiring figure?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/9PNkmXuUqus
youtu.be/uCgW6aeeNQI
youtu.be/oLRa6xavoaE
youtu.be/Gb1GnDEJEhw
youtu.be/GDb5-XItnzc
youtu.be/5vCy2ZvUWss
books.google.com/books?id=0QHHITXsyskC&pg=PA5#v=onepage&q&f=false
books.google.com/books?id=4DVHJRFW3mYC&pg=PA59&dq="The exodus saga in the bible"&hl=en#v=onepage&q="The exodus saga in the bible"&f=false
books.google.com/books?id=HJIzCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA51&dq="an accurate account of the emergence of Israel"&hl=en#v=onepage&q="an accurate account of the emergence of Israel"&f=false
youtube.com/watch?v=HxwqoPMcK3A
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The effect would probably be limited. Religious people were never known to be rational people.

Please stop posting, even if this is ironic.

There are already Christian atheists. Jesus will always be an important figure.

I thought the Bible was never meant to be interpreted literally, and they prefer to believe in the myth rather than the man

yes, he was a ordinary human being, a pseudohistorical figure among thousand others, thats why he truly was Christ

>Split a piece of wood, and I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there.

its not a specific someone user, its Christ, hes fucking everywhere, even inside us

or rather, Christ is the universal user, the eternal nobody, the only one that IS

>irrefutable evidence
Depends what you mean by that. People in general are not the most rational people. Heck, there are literally people that exist today that believe the world is flat, and this is in countries like America, not some bumfuck little island with no contact for thousands of years.

if you prove that resurrection did not happen then you disprove the new testament which in turn destroys Christianity.

jews will be thanking u and sending u shekels.

>Le stupid Xians won't accept their sky fairy is fake lolololol
Being religious doesn't = irrationality.
Nothing, short of creating a time machine that takes people back to when he was living and show that he was just an ordinary anti-Roman/social activist, is irrefutable to the point where everyone must accept it. If someone believes in the soul leaving the body upon death, you would easily be able to argue that any traces of magic or supernatural abilities would leave his body with his soul. That nullifies the legitimacy of any proof from the discovery of his normal decaying body. The other way would be through some kind of transcript, manuscript, or parchment that goes in detail on who historical Jesus was, which could easily be argued as a forgery.
That doesn't even get into the boat load of Christians that would claim the Bible wasn't supposed to be taken literally. They'll say of course the healings weren't real, they were an allegory to living a life of sin. The diseases were a manifestation of that sin, and Jesus led them to the light of accepting God, which healed that sin, or something like that. It might seem retarded to an atheist, but I actually think the logic would be quite rational for someone who truly believes to make.
If people want to think that living a good life and believing in God will give them eternal paradise, what's the fucking problem with that? Feeling, deep down, that whenever you die, you just disappear is a cold one to live with everyday.

If religious people cared about facts there wouldn't be any religious people

FFS the more spiritual Japanese use mental gymnastics to explain why Tsukumogami don't exist anymore

This is a stupid question and the sole purpose of it is to catch religious people in a paradox where they're forced to concede either that A) they're not faithful enough or B) they're stupid enough to ignore evidence.

You have to explain the terms of this irrefutable evidence coming about. How?

If such evidence existed then no shit I wouldn't be Christian, but once again it makes no sense since the entire premise of religion is belief and not evidence.

>entire premise of religion is belief and not evidence.
lol no. Practice mediation. Evidence exist. In fact the notion that religion "just involves beliefs" is part of the cancer which has destroyed faiths like Christianity in the past few centuries.

>being illiterate
Where did I say that being religious = irrational?

>Nothing, short of creating a time machine that takes people back to when he was living and show that he was just an ordinary anti-Roman/social activist, is irrefutable to the point where everyone must accept it.

Pretty much what I am saying, though I would go further and say even that isn't good enough evidence, as people could cry that the time machine was a fake.

Dude

They believe in magic and superbeings

guys why do you do this, even if you are a full core atheist why come to / his / just to pretty much say:
"I dont know shit about the subject or care about it but I will express what I believe anyway :D"

>"I dont know shit about the subject or care about it but I will express what I believe anyway :D"
That describes almost every thread on this board, though. Without people coming here and doing that, it wouldn't exist.

>religious doesn't = irrationality
Dude it's textbook

Believing, by definition, means ignoring facts that contradict your belief.

Christianity would make no sense if Jesus isn't God and Jesus not being God is an impossible scenario not worth of speculation.

>evidence of that which humans are literally incapable of perceiving exists on an earthly scale
I say this as a proud Christian: there is no evidence of God or Jesus Christ. That is why I am a believer.

PS by evidence I mean what we humans consider evidence. Like, nature's beauty is obviously evidence to me but it doesn't prove Jesus or anything.

>proud Christian
>pride is the worst sin

The Muslim world would also be shook. Jesus is regarded as an important prophet.

>Where did I say that being religious = irrational?
While that was more intended for you still said most people are irrational. I just don't see it as unreasonable for people to have faith in a higher power whether or not evidence exists to the contrary.
>Pretty much what I am saying, though I would go further and say even that isn't good enough evidence, as people could cry that the time machine was a fake.
Right, I also don't think the time machine would be good enough evidence. More refutations could be people asking if they had the right Yeshua, as it would be like trying to find a "John" in Britain.
I don't know of any facts that say God didn't create the universe. You could easily argue that a supernatural being made the conditions ripe for a Big Bang to happen. You could argue "well then who created that supernatural being?" but that no more refutes the belief in Christianity than someone asking "what came before the Big Bang that allowed it to happen?"
You seem to miss the point that a lot of Christians don't even see the miracles performed by Jesus as a literal interpretation of what happened. Same thing goes with the creation myth and most of the Old Testament.

youtu.be/9PNkmXuUqus
youtu.be/uCgW6aeeNQI
youtu.be/oLRa6xavoaE
youtu.be/Gb1GnDEJEhw
youtu.be/GDb5-XItnzc

youtu.be/5vCy2ZvUWss

Most people ARE irrational though, unless you think 50% of the world's adult population base their decisions on logic.

The problem I have with this line of thinking is that it is used as a pretentious argument that people are stupid for not doing what I see as right.

>implying sin isn't forgiven

Ever heard about geology, biology, physics, cosmology, archeology, history... All of these soundly and comprehensively refute the Bible in so and yet there are still christards in the world.

yeah bro Christians dont lve in REALITY
its about time they wake up

Really showed me. I guess I better start praying to the king of the Jews while kissing Muhammad's feet now.

>archaeology
unironically confirmed the Hittites

>being a papist
no sweety

It also unironically confirmed that Exodus never happened and there never was a united Kingdom of Israel.

No True Scotsman fallacy.

Protestants are in many ways worse because they worship Israel and adopt niglets.

>t. being this dense to not understand an allegory

>his past Sunday, my gorgeous wife – a white evangelical, like me — gave birth to our beautiful African-American triplet daughters whom we adopted as embryos. These sweet girls will hopefully soon be coming home to meet their 3-year-old African-American brother and 2-year-old biracial sister, both of whom we adopted as infants.

Wow Jesus the King of the Jews would be so proud that this goyish couple is helping extinguish the white race for full spectrum Jewish dominance.

im not protestant, babe

What are you my special snowflake?

>goy
>Jewish dominance
If the Jewish dominance idea is true, then wouldn't it make more sense to say that Western Christianity is the way it is today because of Jewish influence? If Jewish influence meddled with every other one of our institutions, what makes Christianity so different? With this reasoning, it doesn't matter what religion you follow in America, it's going to be manipulated to show an unconditional love for "our #1 ally."

Doesn't matter

What matters most is if he rose from the dead. Christianity would have NOT existed if Jesus didn't rise from the dead, even if he had the superpowers.

Islam would not exist if the Quran wasn't revealed to Muhammad by the angel Gabriel

They'll treat it as a test of their faith from god and ignore the evidence.

conversion to Islam and behead the smug atheists

we already told you to stop posting

>People in general are not the most rational people.

cringe

>Irrefutable evidence emerged showing that Jesus was an ordinary man with no supernatural origins or abilities?
There's several Christian religions that already believe this... The largest well known group probably being the Unitarians.

...Personally, I'm kind of the opinion that adding divinity to Christ rather detracts from the story. He's supposed to be an example of a path that any man can follow, and well, being the son of God does rather put a damper on that concept. But, I don't consider myself a Christian - just a mild Jesus fan. Still, I'd call him "important and inspiring", and have never really believed otherwise.

>Irrefutable evidence emerged showing that Jesus was an ordinary man with no supernatural origins or abilities
but the Bible is a historical evidence that says the opposite. Even rabbis at the time confirmed Jesus existed and had supernatural power, their writings are in major libraries in europe, people are just lazy to search for them

Why did they decide to take a random skull from the right time in Palestine and say "This is what Jesus looked like" anyway

I mean, there's irrefutable evidence of evolution. That doesn't seem to stop creationism.

How archeology can prove than a body didn't harbour supernatural abilities?

(citation needed)

They would still believe in him. It's too ground-shattering for them.

I mean, they already think he fed a bunch of people by making a bunch of food out of five loaves and two fish, even though we can clearly test today how this would not be physically possible. This is in addition to all of his other miracles like curing leprosy by a leper touching the fringe of his robe.

Do you think they would actually believe the evidence? No, they'd stick their fingers in their ears and scream LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU. There would be, at the very least, two factions. One would come up with some answersingenesis tier logic, and the other would twist it into the grandest of allegories.

He would just be a "great person" like Caesar or Alexander are remembered. Extraordinary men.

Do you have problems with the accuracy of the statement though?

books.google.com/books?id=0QHHITXsyskC&pg=PA5#v=onepage&q&f=false
books.google.com/books?id=4DVHJRFW3mYC&pg=PA59&dq="The exodus saga in the bible"&hl=en#v=onepage&q="The exodus saga in the bible"&f=false
books.google.com/books?id=HJIzCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA51&dq="an accurate account of the emergence of Israel"&hl=en#v=onepage&q="an accurate account of the emergence of Israel"&f=false

Arians didn't believe Jesus was God, yet they were still Christian, nearly becoming the orthodox, mainstream belief.

In many ways the Trinitarians won out because of political reasons, since Scripture (including with heavy emphasis the Hebrew bible) obviously not only supports, but demands a Unitarian interpretation.

>Equating the vernacular use of the word with the nature of the sin

>Irrefutable evidence emerged showing that Jesus was an ordinary man with no supernatural origins or abilities?

They've already disproven the Pentateuch - nobody seems to give a fuck. Just because it's a fraud doesn't mean we shouldn't be following it like there's no God.

youtube.com/watch?v=HxwqoPMcK3A

They probably just got sick of the JESUS WUZ BLACK crowd

The way you format videos is a fucking warcrime, I just want you to know that

>In many ways the Trinitarians won out because of political reasons

ah yes, the ebin Constantinian Great Apostasy meme

wtf is this autism