"don't do that"

>"don't do that"
>why?
>"would you want it to be done to you?"
I don't get it.

pretty much the saying means don't be a dick if you don't want other dudes to be dicks to you

I know you're just going to hit me with a spook meme, but it's called empathy and it's essential to a functioning society.

>I don't get it.
Because you're autistic.
See, people don't have the time to go through counltess articles and books on meta-ethics to show you that moral realism is true, so what they usually do is appeal to a thing called empathy. It's simplistic, sure and it's not always correct, but as a rule of thumb it's pretty fine. However, autistic people, who in an ideal world would be screened for and aborted ASAP, can't understand this, which is just another proof of how useless they are.

Being a dick invites other people to be a dick to you. Simple concept, really.

>moral realism is true
How can it be true if I don't get it?

My being a dick doesn't necessarily cause others to be a dick to me.

Because you being an idiot is independent of the world around you. I understand very little about physics and chemistry, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.

It's different because even if you're ignorant of gravity you will always follow its rules.
One who is ignorant of ethics will only follow it when forced to by society.
So is societal reprisal the gauge boson of ethics? It is far more imperfect than physics in enforcing its rules. How is it different from any other cultural norm?

>How can mathematics be true if I don't get it?
Really good questions there user.

What are the axioms of ethics?

That's because most people don't have autism.

>if there aren't always physical consequences for being wrong about something, that thing doesn't exist
wow, moral nihilists always make the best arguments.

There aren't any ethical axioms that are different from any other field of knowledge such as epistemology or science.

>moral nihilist
You give him too much credit, I think he's just retarded

How is it not a cultural norm?

are you doubting Jesus, heretic?

Nobody said it's not a cultural norm, people are doubting it's just a cultural norm.
Why would it be just a cultural norm?

Why would it be more?

Why would it be more?

Ethics is just more religious thinking from spook inclined people.

It is not an actual law with constant material consequences, but having a majority of people act ethically is the only model in which our current society of impotent proles stacked on top of each other in the millions can thrive. This is so obvious that I find it hard to believe you are not trolling.

A society without these rules could function (and has functioned); if you are into that move to fucking Sudan, faggot.

It is.

It wouldn't be.

Do you get it now, you retarded faggot?

Why would it be more?

Why shouldn't I be in the minority if it benefits me?

>if i call a deaf child a retarded fat nigger that means that it's not a bad idea to call everyone a fat retarded nigger
you've solved the case

So if an old lady drops her money and I take it without no one noticing it's okay?

>i have found exceptions to a general guide therefore the guide is invalid
you've done it again, Holmes

No reason that I am aware of.

It sounds like the guide is "don't get caught".

Do you have the mental capability of putting yourself in another mans shoes for the purpose of this thought experiment?

If so, imagine yourself being an old lady that dropped her money and this raging faggot, with massive amounts of cum on his face due to just sucking off a dozen niggers in a row, took the money, would you be okay with it?

Would you want to be screened for and aborted?

No, but why is that relevant?

Because you just answered your own question.

If I was her, I probably wouldn't that money back.

How? If I was in her position I wouldn't want my money taken but it doesn't matter because I'm not in her position.
If I was a cow I wouldn't want to be eaten either but I still eat hamburgers.

I can not be aborted, I'm not a fetus or an embryo.

>If I was in her position I wouldn't want my money taken but it doesn't matter because I'm not in her position.
That's called hypocrisy

If that's the line of thought society takes its only a matter of time before someone takes your money, ending up in a free-for-all murder fest, and you're obviously not okay with someone taking your money thus its in your best long-term interest to not take the old ladies money.

The golgden rule is generally a good thing but it isn't perfect.
For instance; I would love it if random women propositioned me, thus I should should proposition random women.

Because you can find the golden rule in pretty much every known society.

>thus its in your best long-term interest to not take the old ladies money.
Only if you assume my decision actually influences soceity's thought in a meaningful way.
Taking that money is not going to appreciably increase the chance my money is taken in turn.

Is the patriarchy now a law since almost every known culture was patriarchal?

Because the golden rule also benefits you since it's a helpful guide that stops you from suffering repercussions. Being kind also feels good for people with empathy.

Then you obviously don't understand the guideline.

See the tragedy of the commons.

Why are you being this dense, your trolling is fucking hideous.
But for the sake of argument, no it fucking isn't. Hierarchy and organisation of society is different from ethics.
The fact that the golden rule can be found all over the globe tells us that it isn't just a cultural norm but something deeper and intrinsic to humanity. Patriarchy similarly ingrained in human but it isn't a form of ethics.

If my concern is repercussions there are better guidelines.
>something deeper and intrinsic to humanity
Then shouldn't I understand it?

not necessarily, but pretty likely

but don't they still?

That's just a way people who don't understand empathy describe empathy. Empathy is about seeing how someone truly thinks/feels and that's about it, doesn't imply that you should be nice to them.

/thread

For some reason I suspect you are just pretending not to understand
Then again, I often think that of my autistic cousin

>If you were a fully functioning human you would. However seeing as you lack empathy you are blind to it. You're basically acting like a blind person who refuses to accept the fact that visual information is a thing.

Didn't mean to >

If I were an autistic person who could understand the world from a non-autistic person's perspective and realize the difficulty I would have to face in my daily life, I might wish to not deal with that.

I have a DNR and a living-will specifying to not keep me alive on life-support of any kind, in the event I suffer some kind of severe traumatic brain injury that might leave me mentally disabled or vegetated specifically because I do not wish to live that way.

tl;dr--yea, fukken abort my retarded ass

Basically if you do a shitty thing you are just contributing to the already massive pile of shitty things people do that are essentially responsible for all the worlds problems.
It's idealistic I know but thought is that maybe if more people like you stopped to think before they did a shitty thing, and decided against it, instead of thinking 'lol who gives a fuck' we wouldn't have as many issues.

if I see you acting like a dick I will treat you like one
dipshit

T. Rich guys mad their slaves aren’t obedient enough

I'm not.
This is hard to accept.
For a blind person there is a large majority who agree there is sight but for what you describe there doesn't seem to be such a consensus?
I'll just take that into account and do whatever it is out of your site.

Either autistic or sociopathic, you probably want to be classified as a sociopath, but probably are just autistic. Sorry mate, try again in the next life.

Manchild librul contract ethics. Immediately dismiss anybody making these claims.
>empathy
Not an argument
>functioning society
Societies are evil
It's not necessary unless you presuppose evil.
Not an argument

>but for what you describe there doesn't seem to be such a consensus?
That's blatantly false. Troll better, or alternatively, stop hanging out exclusively with three year olds.

OP btfo
Also fuck off OP I'm sick of seeing the same thread every week

I'm somewhat sociopathic and even I get the golden rule. It's called a social contract. OP is a faggot.

Quality thread, guise.

There's not many sighted people walking around with blindfolds on but many (most?) people behave unethically.

There is no reason for morality. It's simply a description of probably biologically based social cooperation in a certain species of hairless apes.

The real reason why you shouldn't do that is that the rest of society will punish you if they find out.

I disagree. Most actions people do are pretty morally neutral. People just are bombarded by what unethical shit people do, no one thinks about the incredible amount of good in the world.

>I don't get it.
I'm sorry OP, it seems you might have aspergers or autism.

It's called sympathy.

*does it to you*

If you treat other people like shit, you are consenting to being treated like shit. Simple.

Nobody asks for consent to treat you like shit so why does it matter?

Do you have legit autism? They assume you want to be a good person.

It matters to the people who choose whether to treat you like shit based on how you treat them.

A much more apt analogy would be that people sometimes don't process visual information or choose to ignore it.
Just as people might act in a way that goes against the visual information availible people do on occasion, for whatever reason, fail to take the ethical approach to something.
There's also a huge differnce between acting immorally and being immoral. Your comment seems to imply that that's not the case.

You are a sapient being experiencing a wondrrous existence, surely you have some curiosity about why this is, you must at least have some respect for other beings physically like yourself.

>There's also a huge differnce between acting immorally and being immoral.
What's the difference?

One describes the characteristics of a person while the other describes an action. One doesn't actually have to be angry to act angry for example. Otherwise acting would be impossible.

>children ITT

you need to be 18+ to post here, this is not your website and certainly the wrongest boards of all
fuck off

WOW OP, you're totally right
*stabs you*

>you must at least have some respect for other beings physically like yourself
False implication. Having respect in some situations may be more efficient when both sides gain from that, but it is in no way an imperative.

Why do you declare some gains imperative and others not? Why is it imperative that you rape and torture children or some other evil?

An option being more efficient does not imply it is an imperative. Nothing stops you from choosing other options.

Efficient at what? What is the imperative?

topkek

>Efficient at what?
Depends on the common personal view of the participants, if there is any.
What is the imperative?
Nothing but the laws of nature.

you're a sociopath
congratulations
get a job in business

What's an immoral person other than one that acts immorally?

retards exist therefore nothing is true

Veeky Forums, everyone

>people are still replying
We already know OP has no sense of empathy, move on

Well, I guess that could be truth depending on where you live and what do you do

Eg: low income, third world society which depends on trust and solidarity just to eat, you would become a pariah
Hell, even on some risk job like crab fishing you want to be OK at least with the rest of the crew, every man is alone until his live depends on his team

read Kant u dummy.

>Kant

The person talking to OP was explaining the categorical imperative

So morals are different from ethics but similar to values?
Explain this to a brainlet