Could Napoleon have defeated Russia simply by being more patient?

Could Napoleon have defeated Russia simply by being more patient?

What would have happened if he had crushed the Russia army at Borodino?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Armada
m.historyextra.com/article/military-history/what-killed-napoleon-bonaparte
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Asking for Napoleon to have been more patient and not get baited is like asking for the French to have more troops or the Russian winter to be milder.

Of course annexing Poland and Belarus then calling it a year would've worked, but it wasn't in the cards.

How could he have dismantled Russia with some more patience then?

No because he was French and the French are shit tier at war

Well one idea might be treating it like a colony. Expel native Russians from the land (send them east for maximum lulz and consumption of enemy stores), settle French peasants and veterans in the freed up land, make it a fait accompli. The Russians can keep avoiding battle, never sign a treaty, but their land is lost.

Then, in 10 years, relaunch the attack for another morsel of land.

>le Generalplan Ost
What? Why would the French colonize a far-off territory like Belarus when they have lands with millions of Krauts and Wops to deal with? The better option would be to give Belarus and Lithuania back to the Poles and maybe give the Baltics and possibly Finland back to Sweden in exchange for an alliance. The frogs needed to start moving to the Rheinland, Flanders, Wallonia and Piedmont to cement those areas into the empire, or else they were probably going to pose some serious problems in the future.

The frogs have enough land themselves, and it's very difficult to displace a densely populated area like the Rhineland.

Plus the confederation of the Rhine was a nominal ally. Displace them would do Napoleon no good. It would probably be in Napoleon's best interests to create a large polish buffer state to bulwark the Russians while choking off the Baltic.

What I never understood (and I only have a vague knowledge of the napoleonic wars, so I could easily be wrong on a number of counts), is that supposedly, the reason behind Napoleon's invasion was to forcibly bring Russia in line to the Continental system and was essentially aimed at Britain.

Why bother? Yes, I know about Trafalgar, but that was in 1805, and from what I understand, Napoloeon was heavily engaged in shipbuilding immediately following, something that was ouldnt stop until the loss at Leipzig.

Why bother with this roundabout crap? Why not just build a huge fleet, cross the channel, and put paid to Britain directly?

>The better option would be to give Belarus and Lithuania back to the Poles

Oh yeah, that'd actually work too. I honestly don't know enough about the Napoleonic era norms or demographics of that area, but in either case it'd force Russia to pay the cost of avoiding battle (though Napoleon gets blue-balled as far as grand campaigning with a thrilling conclusion goes).

By Rhineland I meant the west bank part that they annexed directly. I should have said the Ruhr. Not only that, but they had the Netherlands and the Krauts in the Elbe and Hamburg regions to displace too.

Plus, I forgot to mention the Ilyrian Provinces, although I doubt the frogs intended to settle a large amount there.

>dominate europe for a thousand year
>muh surrender monkey

wrong

Because Napoleon was a Rotschild agent. Like Hitler.

His goal was to fuck up Europe, redraw its borders, force modernization and pave the way for a joint British/Prussian invasion of France.

French navy were lacking and while Napoleon was spending more money than he could afford building ships with lower quality troops the British were doing their best to dipose him.

The conflict became almost ideological and the British use of private contractors gave them a ship and equipment building edge over the French

>What would have happened if he had crushed the Russia army at Borodino?
He did though.

Just not enough

T. Britcuck literally a product of the french

Napoleon had more resources at his disposal than Britain could hope to.
Given some time he could have trained a new generation of officers and built a massive line of ships.

Isn't sailing knowledge for that time surprisingly complex, requiring years of training for sailors to be military-grade?

Yes hence why the French got BTFO at Trafalgar despite outnumbering the British

Britain also had some of the best captains and admirals in history along with an experienced navy. Even if Napoletana somehow did defeat Britains navy he would have to land on British shores and win a land war relying on his navy for a supply line.

The Normans were descended from vikings

Is that so? I thought most Naploeonic era warfare had very "live off the land" setups, with long supply trains not something very often happening. That's one of the main reasons Russia became such a shitshow, there wasn't enough to keep the Grande Armee going, especially after the Russians started burning stuff left, right, and center.

The French were very big on living off the land,
But supply isn't just food its every piece of equipment an army might need and the French weren't just going to find that lying around in some British farm meaning that would have needed constant supply from Europe by boat

They managed in campaigns in Italy and Germany. Why not England?

London would have fallen within a matter of days had the army landed. That's objective, Britain's land defenses were nearly non existent.

Scotland, Ireland and Wales would have risen up and the Royal family most likely end up in the French's hands along with the British oligarchy's most valuable assets.

It would take years to go from France to England back then

Maybe, he was even reading Charles XII account of invading Russia and his subsequent troubles with the winter and yet still did it. Maye if he had properly secured moscow and stayed there for the winter idk

He didn't have time. By 1812 he was already into his forties when the average life expectancy for a ten year old (eschewing infant mortality) was about 55. He died historically in 1821. If he keeps the throne, you can maybe give him a few more years due to not being a broken man. Training a new generation of officers and building vessels takes time. And already by the late stage Napoleonic wars even before the great defeats, Napoleon's time was running out.

Italy and Germany are connected by land to France but the only way to Britain is by sea and there was no chance that the French would get uncontested control of the Channel the Royal Navy was simply too large

>Italy and Germany are connected by land to France
So fucking what? The entire point is that the French armies were perfectly capable of living off the land. You don't need a connection to some supply hub, that's the entire point of living off the land.

>and there was no chance that the French would get uncontested control of the Channel the Royal Navy was simply too large
Which wouldn't be the case after all those ships they were laying down became commissioned.

tfw ww2 Germans were reading napoleonic accounts of his Russian invasion and trying to avoid that too

>secured Moscow and stayed there
my nigga, they burnt that shit down and everything around it was dead

If by more patient you mean not invading Russia as soon as he did then maybe.
Napoleon's failure was playing right into Russias hands. They knew he wasnt going to give up until he received a conventional surrender which was never going to happen, so he shouldnt have tried. Just fall back from Moscow and set up shop somewhere else. No need to worry about the Ruskies coming after you if you dont waste all your supplies freezing to death chasing after them for too long.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Armada

they arrived before it was burned and had the opportunity to subdue the arsonists but didnt iirc

Contrary to popular opinions, Napoleon never wanted to conquer the world. He made it pretty clear at the time and I think he did manage to at least convince the other European rulers.

His mistake was thinking that the Russian Czar was content with his explanation and underestimating how much of a European-boo the Czar was.

Napoleon was a brilliant army commander but he had a terrible understanding of how a navy works. He seemed to think that the French could build endless ships and then just have them sit at dock until they’re ready to be used. The problem is, the only way to train a crew is to send the ship out into the ocean for a while so they can get used to sailing. Therefore, the French had a lack of good sailors, making any engagement with the British Navy, the best-trained navy in the world, incredibly dangerous.

Operation Marker Garden was a success

I mean, the point of the French navy in those times is also that the elite corps were dismanteled for being "too aristocratic" (canoniers de la Royale), and that the fleet was already lost once in Aboukir.

Napoleon, I don't know. He didn't trust the navy, so his order makes sense. He asked Villeneuve to go pillage English colonies accross the world, without looking for a big engagement. It made fucking sense.
But, as in Aboukir, the admiral didn't listen.
wtf

With the full might of Western Europe behind his back he could build a fleet that would overpower the royal navy regardless of competence.

That and the British blockade didn't stop smaller ships and privateers from fucking everything up. That alone was slowly grinding the Indian and Caribbean trade.

Lastly there was the option of closing off the Baltic or Black sea in due time as his influence expanded in those areas proper. More than enough for a training ground if it really comes to it.

Don't forget that when Napoleon was planning to invade Russia, in 1812, the Chunnel was still at least 5 years away.

>didnt iirc
you're remembering incorrectly

he would still have to face a hostile country running low on food, an increasingly worrying europe as the swift defeat eludes, britbongs continuing the blockade and so on

you need to control the seas for european hegemony

There was also the Peninsular war draining manpower and vast sums of money. I think that Napoleon needed a swift campaign to force either Britain or Russia out of the war and both were impossible. He was retarded for walking into situations that nobody could walk out of.

That's not how navies fucking work. Age of Empires is not a documentary.

>more troops
Honestly one of the big problems for the Grande Armee during the invasion was that they brought too many soldiers.

>He wasn't betray by his generals...

Nice conspiracy retard.

The office corps was gutted because of their loyalty to the French monarchy and the government remained distrustful of them after the fact.

Training am entirely new cadre over night was simply unfeasible and I will say again: the nature of British private contracting meant that they churned out far more equipment and had a larger network of adequate dockyards built up over literal decades.
Let's not forget both Prussia and Austria received equipment and funds from the British who were also training and supplying 40k Portugeuse troops as well as their own men.

Capitalist system > whatever the fuck nationalising of infrastructure Napoleon did

Um, you do realize that Napoleon was poisoned right?

m.historyextra.com/article/military-history/what-killed-napoleon-bonaparte

vikings

by the time of William you could consider them as french

Just shut the fuck up you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

That's not how economies work. EU4 is not a documentary.

Napoleon could have easily won the peninsular campaign if he had put his military and diplomatically might into it. The french army there was underfunded, manned and equipped.

Britain was on the verge of bankruptcy toward the end of the Napoleonic wars. Maintaining a vast expeditionary army is not cheap and they were already stretched thin across all theaters.