God: what kind of kings you want ruling the empire in my name?

God: what kind of kings you want ruling the empire in my name?
Constantinopolitans: just fuck our shit up

Honestly the fact that the empire survived as long as it did on the roller coaster that was imperial succession makes me think God actually was protecting it.

I mean holy shit, how the fuck else did they make it through so much shit?

This desu, I mean it outlasted the west for so much longer and arguably through even more shit. Fuck it might not even have fell and still continued if the rest of Christendom helped out.

Growing up is thinking that the "traditional" Roman Empire was the best, adulthood is realizing that Byzantium is the crowning achievement.

from what I've heard and read they were not like by there neighbors for whatever reason yet at the same time were respected and kind of revered. I mean I guess being the capital of orthodoxy is the reason Europe hated them but still.

How much of modern day Turks are byzantian or is that just totally gone from rape and such? I feel like Turks regardless would rather be byzantian than turkish culture wise in the modern day.

Anatolians haven't ever shifted a ton genetically, maybe 10-15% more Central Asian influence now.
No idea about Constantinopolitans, but I'd wager they've probably changed much more.

Turks expelled the entirety of the byzantine population in Constantinople after 1453

>adulthood is realizing that Byzantium is the crowning achievement.
It's cool to like Byzantium and all but let's not get fucking carried away.

Where the fuck did all the Greeks that got expelled in the 1920's come from then?

Does modern europeans believe ERE wasnt a roman empire?

Because they arent related to WRE so do they care?

They didn't expel Greeks in 1453, but the city was almost a ghost town by then. A lot of Greeks moved back to the city in the following centuries.

Modern day turk here.
As shitty as our situation is now I wouldn't want to be any other ethnicity.
Only cucks who can't accept what they are, are willing to assimilate into a different culture completely.

But turks isnt an ethnicity, turkic is

No thats just the average Veeky Forumstard believing this.

Historians recognize the ere as a continuation of Rome while they recognize the Carolingins and hre as successors to the wre.

When the goths took rome the senate disbanded to the Constantinople as a means to continue the Roman way of governing while the lands of the wre was stuck in a bit of limbo, which is refered to as the Dark Ages.

Think as the HRE as a successor state as you would consider the Seleucid Empire a succesor to the Macedonian Empire under Alexander.

Damn, that's a pretty sweet picture.

The Roman Senate continued for quite some time after the fall of WRE.

Right, in Constantinople.
For sake of interpretation, they got buttblasted that "barbarians" had control over Rome and disbanded in Italy to set sail and set up in the ERE as a means to continue the Roman Government.

No, the Senate IN ROME continued after WRE's fall. The Senate of Constantinople was a separate institution. If anything the Roman Senators saw an increase in power after the emperors were deposed. The last historical mention of the Roman Senate was in the early 7th century.

That is true but still the WRE stopped existing the moment germanic tribes invaded

HRE isnt successor of the WRE, there wasnt any successor to it

Germanics were just LARPing as they do today

Sure, that part isn't in dispute. Hell, the whole concept of WRE as a legal entity to be inherited is a historiographic invention.

But still, it's wrong to say that the western institutions dissolved when Odoacer returned the imperial regalia to Constantinople. They carried on for quite some time.

>if the rest of Christendom helped out.
But sans venice they did, and christendom had helped repel the turks in the Crusade of Varna, after the Byzantines helped the turks be ferried to the bulgarian empire

You just made that up, user, didn't you?

That's really funny because most likely that's exactly what your ancestors did.

>carried on for quite some time.
How?
Also
>historiographic invention
Is history as a whole not an invention of scholars? Its not like the Byzantine Empire actually called itself that.

Right, so where did the senate go afterwards?

All the other plurality- and majority-Greek cities in western Anatolia, like Smyrna. Besides, Constantinople sort of "regrew" a significant Greek minority in the following centuries.

>How?
Well no one sought to remove them. The "barbarians" who ended the WRE were all thoroughly Romanized, so they made use of the imperial administration and continued ruling as the emperors did before them.

>Is history as a whole not an invention of scholars?
That's a far too broad and vague point. I was just talking about a specific historic concept.

It was disbanded, presumably.