What's the best history of the Italian City States?

What's the best history of the Italian City States?

I personally dont know too much, and for some of my understanding it is because little records were saved of acient italian city states.

Bump for interest though

that would be infuriating if that were the case

There is no particular surviving primary source dedicated to the general history of Hellenic City States in Italy.

Let alone the Phoenician ones

The kingdom of Rome, and the early republic are very interesting and they have lots of interaction with other Italian City States like the Etruscans and Samnites.

The history of Rome by Mike Duncan is on Jewtube and the first 2-3 videos deal with Rome as a city state as opposed to the Roman Empire we all know and love.

Here you go, OP

>Italian City States like the Etruscans and Samnites.
OP was abviously talking about the renaissance and not about italo-celtic tribes.

You're probably right, but either way it's interesting and it might give him a better understanding of Italian city-states during the 1400-1600s

1 (one) work by Italians in the list
Fuck off yanks

Venice

We'll stop when you start writing books yourself

I think we can all agree on that OFFICIAL POWERRANKING OF ITALIAN CITY STATES

1. Bologna
2. pre-1400 Genua
3. Based Lucca
4. Venice
5. Pisa
6. Arab-Era Palermo
7. Mantua
8. Padua
9. Florence
10. Siena
11. Pre-Norman Capua
12. Perugia
13. French Astia
14. Ferrara
15. Rimini
16. Urbino
17. Verona
18. Ravenna
19. Pre-Norman Bari
20. Forli
21. Arab-era Messina

Venice was technically not a city republic but a noble republic.

Whoops, read that wrong. Well, if you don't mind more narrative/pop histories then read both Norwich's and Crowley's Venice books. I've heard good things about Madden's but it seems overly short too me and also Madden's Crusades history is a joke (basically nothing but Christian dinduism and weird logical leaps) so it makes me highly suspect.

Someone has a detailed account of the rise and fall of the Visconti?

It seems strange that there were so many wars and they came so close to unify Italy, but there is little to no information.
Even Wikipedia has just two or three sentences on them.

>Even Wikipedia has just two or three sentences on them.
english wiki, mind you.

>Illitteratugal

>1. Bologna
How?
>nothing but a centuries-long stall getting BTFO by neighbouring cities and BTFOing them
>overstretching under the Bentivoglio
>ally with Visconti, finally settle with Sante Bentivoglio
>he fucking dies
>Giovanni II goes full retard and gets annihilated by the Pope and Cesare Borgia
>flee but try to take the city again soon
>the people raze your palace to the ground
>three centuries of stagnation as part of the Papal States
But muh university and muh silk

tfw my city used to be the greatest in early siceliote times but now it's just one of the many shitholes in sicily

Top bant

Man you gotta put Siena and Florence higher for kickstarting the Renaissance.

This is an anglo board retard fuck off. Also gamberinis italian and hes on there

>literally who cities

Chill fatty, it's not our fault you got no culture to speak of.

Theres a Veeky Forums chart on milan

>acient italian city states
If by ancient you mean preroman polities, yes, but I dare say user was referring to the italian city states of the middle ages and the renaissance.
And if you're implying we don't have records of medieval city states then you're fucking retarded. We've got so much fucking stuff it beggars belief.

>they came so close to unify Italy
No they didn't. They topped at less than one third of the country, with half a dozen power players still around. Carl V was closer to unify Europe than the Visconti Italy.

Ummm where is Milan?

Sorry sweetie it doesnt make the cut :)