Russia's Far East

How did any of these shithole "cities" ever get populated? Anyone know of the history of Russian cities? Was the Gulag, forced labour and exile systems the sole reasons why they are populated? Like who the FUCK would willingly live in Sakhalin (above Japan), the central east, and the cities dotted along the southern borders near Mongolia and China?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/07/15/world/europe/russia-looks-to-populate-its-far-east-wimps-need-not-apply.amp.html&ved=0ahUKEwippJaFs6DXAhVC7RQKHZEYDg0QFghJMAQ&usg=AOvVaw0tFaKf7cUCb2ZqvPV9hvMd&cf=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Living there doesnt seem that bad when youre a starving peasant with no rights. You have as much land as you want and youre free. Its comparable with the Frontiers of America but shitty.
Oh and Kossaks happened

It's everyday bro with the Disney channel flow

Forced relocation/Gulaq/exile/etc

Example of this is Jewish Autonomous Oblast.

Ainus were cool.

I'm a soon to be geography grad student and I wrote my freshman essay on the development of Norilsk, which indeed was built as a Gulag to extract rare minerals such as nickel and platinum.

I would recommend reading A Geography of Russia and its Neighbours by Mikhail Blinnilov. It is an excellent book on Tsarist, Soviet and modern Russia's development.

They've always been populated since 1800s. Location is strategic. As things are consolidated in certain places farmers buy up lands in outskirts and migrations happen etc

Vladivostok is really strategic and heavily populated

Vladivostok looks pretty comfy imo

Same reason Canada and Alaska got colonised, strategic importance and free land

you can get free land in siberia today and if you can confirm that you do some shit there for 2 years you get free russian citizenship

I wish I could move there with my small fortune and set up a shooting range
We're so constrained in GB
Also Catholics aren't that well liked over there

You dont have yell that you are catholic

but what can you actually do with the land? raise trees for timber?

yeah, or build a farm, or a hotel

many people who live there are gov employed or have some quite good working contracts, like a 3000 usd/m wage, free healthcare, free living, free food, and three months of vacation
before 2008 there were some thousand us expats working there (mainly timber and diamond industries)

in soviet times the people there had wages three, four times higher than the average ussr wages...
and before that were the goulags and even before that tsarist imprisonment camps

Yes but it's the last frontier where man is still not supreme

In Canada to motivate people to work in oil rigs or mining up north, they have huge pay incentives like the other anons are mentioning

Basically they get populated by paying people lots of money to work there, and other things develop around that (where does the newly wealthy labourer get his coffee or car or drink)

Before WW1, the Russian government had a program where landless peasants could receive land in the far east. They would then pay the government back over time with low-interest installments. It was a very popular program. It had been conceived as a way of restoring confidence in the government after the Revolution of 1905. The creator of the program said that Russia would need 20 years of uninterrupted peace in order for the program to be successful.

Chinese migrants ironically live in the Russian East.

Running small shops and being middlemen between China/Russia.

That city looks like one of those carpets your parents buy you when you're 2 and you roll little toy cars around the roads and colorful buildings for fun.

Except this one looks like it was made in hell

>Chinese migrants ironically live in the Russian East.

How do you live somewhere "ironically"?

Anybody know anything about Petropavlovsk Kamchatsky? I always thought Kamchatka looked pretty comfy considering how it's just an isolated (but pretty large) city on a remote peninsula in the northeast. I want to visit Kamchatka someday.

>and set up a shooting range
russia is also pretty cucked when it comes to gun rights

People had their reasons for moving east.

first was that the Army had to install stations to defend the new frontier as they pushed east, a lot of those army posts and stations eventually became permanent and developed into cities such as Irkutsk, where it eventually developed into a trading center for furs and gold, and Vladivostok that was the main naval base for Russia's Pacific Fleet, eventually becoming the country's main commercial port for trade from Japan/China/SE Asia.

Next was that Russia gave the land to people to develop and the people could make an income and living there, and pay the government back for the land after a certain amount of time, where people who took up the offer started mining towns, cut down timber, or became fur trappers and sold pelts. There really was opportunity to make a living with the new land being sold for cheap.

Russia's Far East is much like America's Wild West, but with Tundra as opposed to the Rocky Mountains and Mohave Desert. It's not an ideal place to live, but there was opportunity to make a living mining gold/iron or trapping furs, plus access to the Pacific landed Russia a window to the East just as St. Petersburg was a window to the West.

RUssia's Far East has this confusing car culture of having both left hand/right hand driving cars because of both Japanese (as in, unmodified, not-for-export, Japanese cars) and Russian/European Continental/American models.

Lot of land to do whatever you want to do on probably. Also you probably get a financial bonus as icing on the cake.

Same reason Alaska has people at all.

Russia subsidizes the eastern cities heavily. They wouldn't be able to exist without the support of the Russian heartland. Its part of an old strategy to maintain a "backup/plan B" in-case the Russian core falls.

Did communism survive so long their vechiles don't have reverse gears

people lived just above the level of subsistence, wherever there was a way to make a living they'd go

>Like who the FUCK would willingly live in Sakhalin
I'm pretty sure a lot of people didn't willingly go there. Siberia was used as punishment after all.

They are actually dead

not as cucked as Great Britain

There's good agricultural land in some parts
google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/07/15/world/europe/russia-looks-to-populate-its-far-east-wimps-need-not-apply.amp.html&ved=0ahUKEwippJaFs6DXAhVC7RQKHZEYDg0QFghJMAQ&usg=AOvVaw0tFaKf7cUCb2ZqvPV9hvMd&cf=1

They were T.T

Also, I just came here to remind you all that Chishima and Karafuto are rightful Japanese territory.