In medieval manuscripts, there are often pictures of knights battling snails. Why is that?

In medieval manuscripts, there are often pictures of knights battling snails. Why is that?

>He doesn't know about the great animal uprising

Read a book.

Medieval shitposting

This is the reason why we call it the animal KINGDOM even today.

Wasn't it pretty much bored monks drawing funny versions of themselves keeping pests out of the gardens?

fpbp

a meme among monks because they hated snails

have you ever grown things OP? Snails ruin your day

improved on it a little, also answered OP's question

Just let your chickens solve the problem for you. No need for knights.

Monks worked in the gardens a lot. Garden plants get eaten by snails. Monks hated snails because they ate all their nice veggies

Someone make a chad snail vs Virgin monk pls

Essentially it was the medieval version of anti-semitism, but against the Lombards, who after being displaced were notorious for money lending, and constantly being on the move as a lowly piece of scum according to those who borrowed money and couldn't pay it back, hence the snail look! That's one theory at least.

I heard a similar thing from my medieval professor, made sense at the time.

Snails used to be bigger.

Francophobia

They're calling christians dogs. They were made from a jewish perspective

>anti-semitism
>against the Lombards
>hence the snail look
I'm having difficulty making the connections here.

Snails were a symbol for lewdness the knight is the symbol of virtue. Go figure.

I think the non-meme answer to this is that nobody is really sure.

There are snails in Europe that are too big for chickens to eat.

snail moves with its home, so to does a lombard because no one likes a moneylender hence he is always renting
snails are seen killing knights because of how lombards could afford crossbow mercs which kill heavy inf quite easily

When were the Lombards displaced anyway. There is a lot of 15th century Italian nobility still able to trace back to the Lombards.

They either hated snails because they were gardeners or they used snails to depict Jews (who they also hated).

I think occam's razor favor's the simpler answer here (snails).

I've heard it's because of two reasons.
>A.) Snails hurt gardens and damage small crops, which the monks used for food.
>B.) Snails would destroy parchment, which the monks found valuable and used constantly.
It would be like having a bug that ate the food in your fridge and also chewed up all of your charging cables.

started with charlemagne, same with jewish expullsion, you can't always enforce shit
snails eat ancient manuscripts but also lombards, jews weren't as common as the lombard so it wouldn't be as wide spread as they were

>it would be like having a bug
Or you could just say rat cuz snails also breed hella faster

> snails are seen killing knights because of how lombards crossbow mercs which kill heavy inf quite easily

>knights
>heavy infantry

>crossbows
>good against armour

>bows
>good against infantry

My god, it's like you're not even trying.

Knights fighting random animals shows a metaphorical fight with vices. Snails represent sloth, rabbits lust, etc.