Best / Worst jobs we've had thread.(also explain briefly why, or add le ebin r/Veeky Forums story)

Best / Worst jobs we've had thread.(also explain briefly why, or add le ebin r/Veeky Forums story)

Best jobs for me:
>Signing up normies for credit cards at a department store
(It was okay and paid pretty good)
>Callcenter
(didn't do shit during the extensive downtimes. Was a fair bit above minwage too)
>Sysadmin internship
(didn't do fuckall except post on Veeky Forums)

Worst jobs:
>Dishwasher
(Was treated as a subhuman by people who made the same amount of money as me, good side is listening to music and no real stress at all)
>Grocery store
(Treated as subhuman. Yelled at by skinnyfat manager for not knowing something I wasn't trained on)

Bump

Hello???

> warehouse
Hot, sweaty, laborious. $20/hr
> another warehouse
as above, $25/hr

Now
> law firm
Not a lawyer or anything, but I do office services shit. Similar work as warehouse but AC and much nicer work environment
$22/hr

What the heck? How did you make so much at a warehouse?

Australia. Technically I was in manufacturing both times but it was in a big warehouse/shed.

First job was actually pretty good. 10hr day including 1hr PAID lunch. A fair bit of downtime too.

It was really sketchy though, no PPE, old equipment for manufacturing shit. Got hurt or burnt once a week. Not a nice place to be.

Chef for far too long, stress was ridiculous. Every chef is a fucking loon

Oh that explains it. Your minimum wage is so retardedly high I keep reading about people "making $23/hr at "macca's""

You jelly brah?

>best
electrician-$30/hr not so much the money but because I actually enjoy it and getting a paid apprenticeship and paid schooling was nice too.
>good
mowing the local school systems yards-$14/hr I could honestly see myself doing this when I retire just to stay busy, good health benefits ect if I qualify with part time so I wont make too much money to lose my social security if that is still around by then.

>worst
the one white guy on an all mexican concrete crew-$12/hr
Telemarketing-$10/hr The only good thing about it was I was allowed to study while working.

I had a dishwasher job as well, but the food was free so everything balanced out.

Best job:
>patient sitter at a hospital
Basically you sit in a room with suicide risk patients for 12 hours at a time and watch TV or talk to them if they're chill. Also get to make your own schedule and can choose to work. $11/h for basically doing nothing. I've had some of the most interesting conversations with patients and seen some really cool shit. The human mind is fucking crazy.
Worst job:
>dishwasher
Ruins your clothes, min wage, smell like shitty Italian food. Only good thing is people generally leave you alone to do your work.

I've only had 3 jobs and I live in the third world, for reference.

Utter shit:
Selling DVDs at a pirated DVD store. Pay was peanuts.

Neutral:
Programming internship, no pay.

Best:
Remote front-end developer for a Canadian company. Pay is only $15/h but this is absolutely god tier living where I live since I only spend about 10% of that and the rest I put in bitcoins.

How did you get the developer job? That's pretty impressive for a third world country.

Facebook. They get posted on programming groups a lot and there's not much competition.

>best
$40/hr +health care and other benefits. Good thing is it's my current job, can listen to Spotify while I crank out spreadsheets. Down side is that I'm inside all day, no window office.

>worst
$10/hr refinishing custom doors for rich people. The people I worked with were assholes for some weird reason. I can remember this one time they were like "hey user, ho grab the wood stretcher." Even at 16 I knew that was bullshit, and I told them so. Eventually the boss said, "go out to my truck and grab the wood stretcher, and bring it in here or you're fired." So I went out to his truck and ofc nothing was there and when I came back they were all "hahaha u retard there's no such thing as a wood stretcher!" Fuck those guys, probably still finishing doors today, and that was 15+ years ago.

>"go out to my truck and grab the wood stretcher, and bring it in here or you're fired."

as a foreman I do this to my apprentice when he is just fucking up and being slow so he gets out of the way and I can just get what I want done.

I mean the cost of goods is bretty inflated too

>hahaha u retard there's no such thing as a wood stretcher!
This happens at every blue collar job. Landscapers will tell you to get the turf extender, bartenders will tell you to get ice mix, construction workers will tell you to borrow tools from another jobsite.

You just cant stand the bants.

Best
>Semi nude butler for bachelorette parties
>$50/hour
>good tips, anywhere from $40-$300
>shifts are only 2-4 hours.
>get to see some of the nicest houses/hotel suites
Only downside is the work is seasonal.

Worst
>dishwasher
>dirty
>smelly
>minimum wage
Its a good entrance point into the resraurant industry but thats about it. Move to FOH for 10x better income and 10% as much work

How did you prove your skills? Curious how you beat out of everyone else. Was it the English?

His legs look so small, yet he deads lmao5pl8? Is he half saiyan?

My recruiter told me my English was great compared to a lot of the people who applied, and that I aced the test, which was developing some UI components.

I think the fact that my recruiter was also a dev helped, normal recruiters tend to ignore my CV.

>Worst
It's a tossup:

1. First job was working in the meat department of a grocery store. I cut meat and served it to asshole customers. It was cold, dirty, and was treated like I was some kind of peace of shit human bean.

2. Second job - Tire changer at Discount Tire. I worked in one of the busiest Discount Tires in the nation at the time for $9 an hour, always hurt myself and it was ran like an absolute sweatshop. All of my coworkers were fucking dicks as well. Got so fed up with it I just quit without telling anyone.

Both of these jobs were when I was 18-19 years old and right as the great recession was happening and I was kicked out onto my own, dirt poor and no hope in life which amplified how much they sucked. I regret none of it though, if I didn't have such a shitty experience when I was younger I'd probably be a typical normie who doesn't save any of his money and just blows it on stupid shit while continuing to wage slave his entire life. 29 now and have a nest egg of fuck-you money and I feel a lot safer, and every belonging I have fits into a backpack and a roller luggage case.

Best:
Assurance accountant - 130k salary

Worst:
Tax accountant - 70k salary

In case it's not obvious enough, all I've relied on is nepotism (i.e. ''''netowrking'''')

>Callcenter
>(didn't do shit during the extensive downtimes. Was a fair bit above minwage too)
Lucky you. Every time i have worked at a call center it's been one where the phone just will not stop ringing. In my experience their isn't much downtime in most call centers. Not to mention they log how many calls you take per hour and if it's under their "target" they will write you up.

Best - truck driver for dads friends company, just screw around most the time and chat with people.

worst- oilfield, treated like shit screamed at everyday and physically abused. Took a leave for vacation and never went back.

Best: Tree planter/ tree planting foreman (canada)

~$400/day
zero living expenses
zero professionalism expectations
get to drive a big ass truck around in the wilderness and get lots of exercise and a tan

worst: processed meat factory placement by temp agency
payse $5/hr above minimum wage purely because it's disgusting. Temp agency takes all that and gives you minimum wage, then fires you when you've been working long enough to actually get hired.

Tell us all about how you got that, I've been looking into modelling or anything like that on the side, male stripping or anything of that nature seems elusive

>worst- oilfield, treated like shit screamed at everyday and physically abused. Took a leave for vacation and never went back.

where was this? country or state? kek why were you physically abused and why didn't you stop it

>Best:

Buyside Bond Trader. Get to talk to traders from banks all day and occasionally make a trade for the portfolio managers.

>Worst:

FX Sales. Convincing dumb fuck controllers and CFOs that using exotic FX options is a better hedging tool than forwards. I felt like the scummiest fucker in the world and was probably close to it.

Canada. I moved out there on the other side of the country, I was basically in the middle of nowhere. My dad kicked me out of the house at 23 so I had nowhere to go. If I complained its not like I could do anything unless I maybe recorded it. But I simply needed the job. He hit like a little bitch so I didnt care. Just the screaming non stop everyday 5am-6pm 21 days straight 3 days off for 8 months. Was annoying and the foreman was a big scary ass 300 lb monster who was his uncle. If you squeel in those small towns word gets out then no one hires you.

best job - lane maintenance forklift operator
>minimal labor
>drive around and shoot the shit with coworkers
>have become so proficient the job is simple
>work in a freezer so you control your own temperature with layers
>get loads of overtime and i dont mind doing it because its so easy
>25$/h
worst job - wire manufacturing plant with machines built in 1920s
>everyone was missing fingers who has been there more than 10 years
>forced to wear hard hats, jump suits, goggles, respirators, gloves
>dealing with huge killer machines shooting noxious gas and molten metals
>entire building was hot as fuck year round and the air was dusty and lead contaminated
>depending on your position you could get either cuts or burns on your hands/arms that ppe didnt save you from
>17$/h

There are plenty of good paying warehouse jobs out there you just have to find them. The harder part is actually getting hired.

Worst: Supervisor at a Pieology. I was 18/19. I had ghetto as fuck employees who literally catch an attitude with you because you're telling them to hurry up or trying to explain that if everyone works at a productive assembly line pace everyone's work will be easy but no they all want to Smack lips, work slowly/ sloppily, or try to call off because they have drama or want to go to concerts or dates. Then get mad when you don't schedule them a perfect schedule.

Best Job: being 21 and got to be a producer for film. Got super lucky at my age and everyone thinks you're a godly prodigy and chicks want to fuck you for jobs and dudes what to be your bros. all I do is smoke cigarettes and walk around organizing and delegating on my phone. Matching personality types to other personality types and finding cheapest rates on technical skills to be honest. Just gotta have an amazing reputation and be very very well connected/liked .

Working in Weed is awesome too. Kind of same as producing films but less glamorous, lack of civilisation, and you deal with stoners/burnouts who don't know the definition of productivity. I'm kind of going crazy honestly but the money is ridiculous