Kanabo! The japanese war club!

Kanabo! The japanese war club!
Legitimate weapon or just a meme?

Cant seem to find ANY useful information about this weapon online and I'm wondering if this weapon really ever saw any use? and if so, when and how?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasuga_Gongen_Genki_E
koryu.com/guide/shindo-yoshin-ryu.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I would guess they clubbed people with it?

If you hit some cunt with a 35 pound block of wood and iron I'm sure it's going to hurt

Also it's not as deadly as a sharp piece of metal. Better for capturing people, better for slavery.

yes yes, that is all well and good. But what about the historicity of the weapon?

There's an entire martial arts school built around its use, I'm not sure what you're asking for here

thats not really historical information

>Historical martial arts isn't historical
Are you fucking stupid? Do you think some guy just made the Kanabo up after the fact for presumably some reason?

Too much mount and blade for you. Blunt weapons are far worse for getting captives
>If you hit some cunt with a 35 pound block of wood and iron I'm sure it's going to hurt
35lbs if too heavy to be viable weapon. How much Kanabo would weight? Quick googling only showed something like 4lbs.

This weapon is mostly associated with Japanese oni demons.

When it comes to whether it was historically used I'm rather doubtful. The weapon in for example seems rather heavy and impractical.

>kanaboos

There are 35 pound varieties of them presumably so you could show off, the average weight of the two handed version is 11-15 pounds

Japs seem to be very lacking in the Axes & Maces department.

What about battle-axes?

No it's just that the fact that people are using it today doesnt really impart any information to me about the history of the weapon.
It's like saying "knights had maces"
yea ok, but whats the history of the weapon?

Maybe they just didnt consider it a weapon. Like how we dont have battlehoes.

The Ono was a wood axe.

In contrast, continental Asian two-hander battle-axes.

It was a mixture of that and the lack of quality iron. They even used stone axes and hammers a lot because of this, reserving good iron for saws.

We did have those, though.

eyy

In fact they used adzes quite extensively too, and wooden hammers rather than stone.

Where you'd get the picture from, it looks interesting

I dont know what it is but they looks so...shitty

Nice ancient Japanese panty shot.
Glad to see things still haven't changed.

>There's an entire martial arts school built around its use, I'm not sure what you're asking for here
Which one it is already? I didn't found a lot of koryu with kanabo in their curriculum.

Any that does Tanren-Bo is teaching Kanabo/Tetsubo technique

Lmao, far from it. Two handed axes in China were officer-tier weapons. They're often used as a symbol of authority like an NCO Spontoon was in 1700s Europe.

Except it was also a functional weapon.

But last time I checked, tanren-bo isn't used for weapon training but an adjunct to regular sword training. It's a tool not a weapon, it's not used to perform original techniques but sword ones.

To my knowledge, no surviving koryu teaches dedicated kanabo techniques, you could perhaps reconstruct them somehow...

it's from the
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasuga_Gongen_Genki_E

It's for clubbing, that simple

Both the kanabo and the ax are legitimate weapons however they're heyday was before the sengoku Jidai, and few if any martial arts schools preserved them through the edo period, at least not in the schools that survived to the modern day, so the details on their use are not as well known as something like a naginata or a yari, where you can just hop on youtube and see exactly how they were used.

tanren-bo looks similar but its not a weapon, its a training implement to develop proper cutting technique and physical strength.

I think I read somewhere that Takamura ha shindo yoshin ryu might still practice the tetsubo but Ive never seen or heard of them doing it outside one reference on koryu.com

koryu.com/guide/shindo-yoshin-ryu.html