What do you think about reviving gladiatorial combat?

What do you think about reviving gladiatorial combat?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_integrated_laser_engagement_system
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Do it!

it's called pro wrestling

Many people have tried, but the inevitable result is that the only bloodsport that can exist without being instantly swatted down by the laws of the land is well-regulated unarmed combat like boxing and MMA.

Only if it has naked women covered in oil

Naumachia > Olympic Games

Replace olympic rowing with this

what the fuck that’s so cool

>tfw will never go out with some friends to watch this

why even go on

I’m all for bloodsport
If somebody wants to try to make a lot of money and get famous by putting themselves in life-threatening situations then I don’t see why we should stop them

>100 million kick ball into net
>100 million carry ball to end of field
>100 million tie pillow to hand and punch a guy
>100 million pretend fight in underwear
>Be any of these guys
>get perform basic tasks relatively better than average public
>Get showed up by a Retiarius fighting an actual fucking lion while in underwear, with a trident and a net.
> feelsbadman.jpg

Napoleon tried to bring them back; too expensive

imagine what kind of shows could be done with modern technology
instead we get to watch a bunch of people chasing a ball around

it's really depressing

could also just force people with death sentences or those with life sentences and no chance of parole to participate too desu

Have a committee decide if the evidence is strong enough to convict them to compete, making sure an man later found innocent never dies with sand in his arse.

It would never fly in today's world.

What they should fucking do away with the "put the ball in the special place" type sports and organize militias into televised Hunger games style competitions using MILES training arms, with leagues and international competitions and military sponsored teams (hell, you could have individual units with their own teams) and state sponsored combat coliseums. You get all the benefits of modern athletics, plus your country maintains/self-funds its martial spirit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_integrated_laser_engagement_system

It would just lead to gambling on who doesn't die.

Also, there's already wrestling. Pretty much the same thing.

Is it true there is still a combat to the death underground circuit in SE Asia propped up by Russian gangsters?

I think about it every day. If it came back it would be my life, I would train to fight and die in the arena for everyone's entertainment and If im worthy my own glory. I hate how everything you can succeed in today is just bland overall in terms of consequence. Im not really a NWO alex jones conspiracy dude but the fact that you really can't impact the world because it moves so fast in terms of trends and news stories points towards a consistent 'Method' or plan to keep everyone thinking everything is ultimately irrelevant forcing those who think to become nihilistic one way or another. Even if you try.

as expensive as olympic games?
replace dozens of shit tier events with one of these

What the fuck

Just go to Cambodia then steam it on the internet

A five minute news cycle that no one parts attention to. It was already fading in relevance before the 5 minute attention span spam

>the only bloodsport that can exist without being instantly swatted down by the laws
What if we hold it on a tanker in international waters?

Prison battles would make the googles in there useful to society again, and it would purge people too lazy to follow the law proper (or not get caught breaking it). I'd get behind it.

>Im not really a NWO alex jones conspiracy dude but the fact that you really can't impact the world because it moves so fast in terms of trends and news stories points towards a consistent 'Method' or plan to keep everyone thinking everything is ultimately irrelevant forcing those who think to become nihilistic one way or another. Even if you try.

Yet some schmuck with a bag of conspiracy theories of varying coherence got his own radio show then a TV show then a very prominent network reaching a bigger audience than anyone among us ever will. Alex Jones proved you wrong already, you just haven't got what it takes to actually stand out without taking the stupid brute way to obtain it, society purged all the means for brutes to dictate the destiny of the world long ago.

As for the OP, gladiator fights weren't even that lethal on average, it was mostly show with some executions to spice it up a little. It wouldn't be too unfeasible to bring them back with a little extra padding and no exotic animals.

>gladiator fights weren't even that lethal on average
Sure? I remember some contemporary author saying it was abominable and that it should not exist in a decent society, something like that.

It was a delicate balancing act. Gladiators were an expensive investment, but if the fighting got too bloodless, the organizer was seen as stingy buzzkills.

Most educated Romans saw the games as tawdry and ghastly, as did most visiting foreigners, but some did try to justify it

I would pay to see the games restored.

There are 300~ million people in America alone. Are you telling me that we can't find a few hundred people willing to enter the lists and fight to the death?

thx. I guess the populus was not that much educated in average, despite its high literacy level.

public education in Rome made people revile the shit out of any intellectualism due to how soul-drainingly dull and aggressively anti-fun it was

most plebs were just as simple as your average person today.

yeah but now you have pay per view, sponsors, ads, season tickets etc

There was never any "public" education in Rome, no widespread attempt to teach the masses. Education was reserved for the upper echelons of society, urban Romans learned reading, writing, and counting for purposes of convenience but those in the rural areas would have been illiterate.

The plebs were a violent rabble living in blighted slums, the urban areas would have been insanely dangerous places after dark (as in, you didn't leave your house without guards) they were much simpler than the average person today.

Unfortunately without blood, armed combat can look pretty dull

It would have to be like a Pro Wrestling type thing, with highly choreographed fancy fighting, the participants getting bloody and bashed but only superficially