How true is the theory that the Vikings only got started raiding as revenge for Charlemagne...

How true is the theory that the Vikings only got started raiding as revenge for Charlemagne? Do any early Viking accounts actually state that?

Revenge for Charlemagne?

Do you think Charlie did anything in Norway?

Norweigan Viking™ major student here
You could say it is true. So here is the deal
>Charlemange fucks about in Europe
>Danes gets spooked
>this forced through unification
>Denmark™ is born, most powerful Kang in the North
>makes mountain monkeys nervous because Denmark™ dominates southern Norway that is an important trade hub
>people go viking™ for riches
>riches buy alliances and troops
>this makes your chiefdom bigger
>other clans shit their pants, start raiding to get riches
>see above

He fucked up pagans south of Denmark real good, and many fled there. Then he was planning an invasion of Denmark.

no that's a meme

t.christian

*dibs molnur*

>early Viking accounts
>Vikings
>literacy

OH NO NONONO AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Denmark doesn't exist, retard.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

>as revenge
some pre christian jarls and kings named their sons "Magnus" to honor him

>What are the Sagas

>what are oral traditions

no they didnt
the first king to be named "magnus" was magnus the good, son of olaf the holy, currently revered as the man who christianized norway

*tips tiara*

I know, but to assume that all viking raids for two hundred years happened because Charlemagnes empite reaching as far as Hamburg is just silly

Things that were written long after the Viking age had ended that were most often written by Christians.

Unreliable.

;3

all that shit chrisians wrote down were based on oral traditions you ape

Probably why the Sagas aren’t considered super reliable along with being written centuries after the fact.

>entire religion and history is based on skaldr
>the skalds in iceland are the same as the skalds in lithuania
>unreliable

>poems are reliable history
youre gonna make me lol

>How true is the theory that the Vikings only got started raiding as revenge for Charlemagne? Do any early Viking accounts actually state that?
>viking accounts
lmfao
>By Odins beard the Franks are attacking the Saxones
>better go attack the other Saxones in retaliaton
>I am looking for things which agree with my point of view so I can shill in Pagan™ threads on /pol/
[citation needed]
Not Norse nor preserved by the vikings lol. It was the Christian Saxons who recited the last battle poems.
contradictory stories written by Hiberno-Saxo-Norse hybrid Roman Catholics.
>based on oral traditions
[citation needed]
Probably based upon some stories, but to say they are oral traditions and then to claim those traditions are then reliable. well, obviously not because the sagas have conflicting accounts.
This too.
>>the skalds in iceland are the same as the skalds in lithuania
Are you trying to say they are the same?
Then I have to wonder why they are so different.
When Beowulf was first recited I doubt he shouted about Christ and God or whatever when fighting Grendel and battling The Dragon. How would the Wuffings even know about such things if Beowulf was recited before Christianity even reached Rome?
Of course it was the Saxons then, then this calls into question the other oral traditions which have been put into literary format.

>christians are attacking pagans
>better attack christians

a substantial population influx and increase could've been a contributing factor. If it actually occurred that way which I've never really heard or read about before. Further one could make the case that the Christianization of the continent was part of a long process that led to a clear cultural break between the Northern Germanic-speaking Germanic peoples and their West Germanic-speaking cousins that helped, in particular in religion, that helped facilitate the Viking raidings

snorri sturlasson mentions by name the skalds who made the poems, even the pagan ones, all of whom are norsemen. there are conflicting accounts, sure, but so do the writings of christian monks (like how english monks had conflicting descriptions on how olaf the holy was slain)

>we'll show those damn Christians to mess with pagans
>*attacks women, children, and pacifist*
>*run away when the men show up*

>raid Baltic pagans as well
Gotta wonder how the Baltic pagans contributed to the Christian warmachine that was the Kingdom of the Franks.

Snorri also claims that Odin was a Turk and Thor was his son who married a Thracian or something.
>conflicting account of how a guy was slain
Are you implying that is similar to whether or not certain figures even existed at the time such as in the volsung saga where they reference Atilla the Hun and then tangentially Ragnar's Saga in the same story within a generation?
You're an idiot

>Odin was a Turk and Thor was his son who married a Thracian or something.
My mistake, he actually claimed Odin was the son of Thor and Thor was the grandson of Priam or something along those lines.
Been a while since I've read it.

>one saga tells of fantastical shit
>therefore all sagas do
we know for a fact that harald hardrada existed, does that mean the saga of harald hardrada is bullshit?

>start off raiding Christians
>holy shit, this is an easy way to get rich
>expand raids to other peoples as well

I'm not sure this is what actually happened but it's not some kind of ridiculous absurdity, Christians did the same thing with the crusades.

>Not Norse nor preserved by the vikings lol
Oh, didn't know Saxo Grammaticus and Snorri Sturluson weren't Norse.

>we'll show those damn Christians to kill their neighbours
>*damage economical and ideological assets*
>*leave before your enemy can retaliate*

>raid baltic pagans as well
just some friendly banter