Isn't it strange how we're not taught about the Barbary Pirates in school?

Isn't it strange how we're not taught about the Barbary Pirates in school?

Muslim pirates who enslaved millions of Europeans to be sold at slave markets in North Africa and the Ottoman Empire?

It's almost like there's some kind of agenda behind it.

Anyway, should Africans pay reperations to Europeans for the hundreds of years of slavery they had us suffer through?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_of_Baltimore
sundown.tougaloo.edu/liesmyteachertoldme.php
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Janszoon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Who is "we"?

What kind of shit school did you go to where you didn't learn about this?

What were you taught about it?

Grade school, high school, and university
A huge part of any American history course is taking about U.S. Naval campaigns against them

Silly goy, only whites had slavery. Stop with this wrong think anx divide your shekels between me and the poc's. 80/20 of course.

> goes to a shitty school
> doesn't learn shit
> why are the joos controlling the world not teach about this, REEEE.

This post won gold for Mental Gymnastics at the Berlin olympics

I was actually quite surprised as a child when I decided to read some history on my own and found out there was more to history beyond Slavery and the Holocaust. I hadn't even heard of America teaming up with Sweden to road the Barbary pirates until like 5 years ago when someone on Veeky Forums mentioned it. Some crazy shit.

>cherrypicks one school (probably private)
>therefore OP is wrong even tho his case is the common case.

I learned about them in APUSH

Maybe because they didn't sell them on the American market where they make up a significant part of the population into the modern day?

We're not taught about the vast majority of history at school.

History education in school is a joke.

I spent one year learning about Vikings, then the Tudors, then WW2, then Native Americans (Im fucking British wtf), and WW1.

While i do enjoy these subjects, its very disjointed and you don't get any overall picture of the march of history, a timeline and how events feed into each other, none of that, which i think is important for giving a person an understanding of how the modern world came to be.

History education does need to be more of a narrative.

>isn't it strange that a minor historical event isn't taught in the few hours a month spent trying to teach the most important points of history to kids who don't care, by teachers who don't really care either

No. Not really. Turns out there's lots of stuff that isn't taught in school.

Tunisian here
Not even we study about it, its just not that a big deal
Most of them were only slaves temporarly and became free after embracing Islam and there are countless examples of slaves rising through society and even leading our countries.
More importantly, Europeans never had to deal with race based chattel slavery, even in the cases where they stayed slaves all their lives their children would never inherit their status of slaves and would integrate and become indistinguishable from the rest of society

Speaking of agendas though, your post certainly seems to have one behind it, its as if you're trying to defend barbaric and inhuman practices by saying "look they did it too" while ignorant of how different slavery in the barbary states was from the transatlantic slave trade.
At no point in north african history was there race based segregation or legal discrimination and today you'll never see someone complaining about how their ancestors were enslaved from the blackest black to the blondest blond

And for your information, all barbary states outlawed slavery before America did
So kindly fuck off

>Spend over 10 years in British Education system
>Not once taught about the British Empire and how Albion treated Indians, Africans and Asians like animals

Almost like there's some kind of agenda

user the reason is because it's not on the national curriculum, the point of the curriculum is to educate you on the important parts of your nations history
Hence why at primary school I studied
>romans
>celts
>Greeks
>romans
>Norman invasion
>Norman yoke to war of roses
>Georgian era
>Victorian era
>Henry VIII and reformation
>Stuart's
>ww1
>social reforms of early 20th century
America, India and slave trade was only brought up when studying imperial expansion of late Stuart's so quit crying user

I don't believe you

I took apush 4 or 5 years ago and didn't learn about it. It wasn't on our AP test, but our teacher was also a wizard that could guess the questions so maybe that's why

>tunisia is whiteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
it's sad to see that you wannabe cracker birdshit people use the same flag as us. change your flag to something else, like LGBT flag if you want to feel more cracker.

He's lying. Until college US history is the revolution, indistrial revolution, and civil war on repeat every single year. If you make it into AP classes tack on cold war to those.

>pretty much every state in America has a "Decatur" street

>all across America, there are schools, libraries, ect. named after Decatur

>next to no Americans know who he was

makes me sad man

Yeah I think it may have been mentioned in my European history class in HS but it wasn't covered like "normal" slavery was

>>Not once taught about the British Empire and how Albion treated Indians, Africans and Asians like animals

I dont believe for one second that the british school system doesnt teach about the horrible racist history of the british empire, unless you went to school in 1950s

In Portugal it went something like:
Crescent Fertile
Greeks
Romans
Germanic invasions and conquests
Arab/Berber invasions and conquests
Reconquista

Then we finally get to the history of Portugal proper, going through the dynasties, wars, discoveries during Age of Sail, etc. When we get to the 19th century or so, Portuguese history sort of fades into world history (stuff like major technological innovations and the world wars) with references to the rise of the republicanism, political instability, rise of Salazar, colonial war, the revolution and that brings us up to the present.

I went to school in the 1980s and 90s. Do you get off on making shit up and then getting mad about it?

What kind of shit school did you go to?
We learned this at my public high school

6 Gorillion whites were enslaved goy

I've known about the Barbary Pirates since I was in middle school. And I grew up in the midwest in the 80's where they still resisted teaching evolution.

>Europeans never had to deal with race based chattel slavery
This is a problem I often see with posters trying to equate American slavery with muslim/barbary slavery. Their idea of slavery is colored entirely by America's experience with it and think it was the same the world over, like American/European race-based chattel slavery was the norm and not someone unique to itself. Slaves in the Muslim world were typically manumitted after 7 years and their race had little to do with their slavery.

The idea that there are scientifically inferior races meant only for servitude is an entirely white european idea.

Well to be fair, it wasn't on as massive scale
We didn't have the bloodiest war in US history over it
The Barbary pirates didn't give a shit about your color, they just wanted you.
It didn't last 300 years.

If you have a teacher that will do his work earnestly, then it will be mentioned in passing as one of the reasons for the invasion of Algeria by France. Not that we really ever have to care about the reasons behind it since french lessons skip large chunks of the XIXth century.

WE WUZ SLAVES AND SHEIT

It's because the school system is run by jews to brainwash white children into hating themselves

I went to school in the fucking ghetto and they taught us about it. Was OP homeschooled by retards?

That a bunch of pirates controlled North Africa as a base to raid and wreak havoc on nearby trade routes, and the US won some early respect from European powers when Jefferson told the pirates to fuck off and sent in what later became the Marines to kick their ass and make the survivors sign a treaty. It's why there's a "shores of Tripoli" line in the USMC anthem.

I took APUSH as well and remembered the Barbary War being mentioned as an aside when learning about Jefferson. That's about it though

>It didn't last 300 years
Much longer my dude, but I'll accept that you're right on other points and I do agree that African enslavement of whites hardly factors into US history

Not him but
I was in state school education for the first decade of this millennium, and yeah no bad shit came up, just WW2 twice and the rape of Belgium

Didn't they castrate their slaves? The black ones anyways.

WUZ

nigger public schools can barely get to world war two by the end of the year. You really think they have time to waste going over fucking barbary pirates?

T. Muhammad

>It didn't last 300 years.

It started the moment muslims conquered North Africa. So over a thousand years.

Palace guards and harem guards were castrated to ensure their loyalty
As for the others they usually didn't

I'm literally an atheist
I'm just correcting historical misinformation clearly motivated by a political agenda

Barbary piracy as we know it started with the beginning of Ottoman influence on the region in the 16th century and ended with the French conquest of Algiers in the early 19th century
Before that piracy was a negligeable activity size-wise

>became free after embracing Islam

>implying the Anglo wasn't trying to commandeer their cargo of slaves so they can sell them instead

>the slaves became free after they totally submitted to their captors and abandoned their identity

I went to a "magnet" school (its a program for kids that are smarter to avoid the worst public schools) and we were never taught about it at all.

Plenty of Slaves in the usa made it to high positions too and masters miscegenated with their slaves all the time too.

Gas yourself Muhammad.
>I'm literally an atheist
Doesn't matter. You're defending your ancient coethnics all the same.

there was a lower proportion of "chattel slavery", however it is naive to expect none would be worked to death in a mine somewhere

We get that shit in highschool but only because a couple of Dutchmen got famous because they joined the pirates.

I don't know about you, but I learned about them in school, and The Algerine Captive was one of the books I read in 10th grade.

>Plenty of Slaves in the usa made it to high positions too
name 3

>Plenty of Slaves in the usa made it to high positions too and masters miscegenated with their slaves all the time too.
Do you literally understand segregation?

Segregation only came into place after the civil war, retard

>And for your information, all barbary states outlawed slavery before America did
America wasnt even a nation until the 18th century

To be Frank, we aren't taught in depth of the matter or with a certain fervorous prejudice to illuminate the slavery aspect by Muslims of Europoors. With that said, I personally don't give a shit.

Everybody learns about the Barbary War in high school

We don't learn about the Arab slave trade for the same reason we don't learn about the Kangxi Emperor or the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth -- our government hates history and believes other countries don't matter.

Only a minority. Many African slaves had children, which is why most North Africans peninsular Arabs have some East African ancestry.

In Yemen, Saudi, Oman, and even Iran there are sizable Arabic-speaking black minority populations of the descendants of these slaves. Pic related are from Hormozgan, an Iranian city that used to be a major slave port.

We were taught in school about the sack of Baltimore in county Cork where the towns population was taken by Barbary pirates and sold into slavery in North Africa.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_of_Baltimore

>The idea that there are scientifically inferior races meant only for servitude is an entirely white european idea.
>what are the ancient hebrews
>what is Imperial China
>what is Imperial Japan
>what are the upper castes of India
>etc
You're full of shit.

Lol niggers are every where

Also can you post pics?

Tell me about hebrews

Why is this old canard so fucking popular?
>What is James’ own evidence for a leftist bias? As far as I can tell, they’re things like that US classrooms keep going on about US enslavement of black people, but never mention the (African) Barbary Pirates enslaving white Americans. But this may have less to do with liberal bias and more to do with the fact that, as far as I can tell, only 115 white Americans were ever enslaved by the Barbary Pirates (and then released a few years later), whereas about 500,000 African slaves were brought to America, kept in slavery for centuries, precipitated the bloodiest war in our country’s history, and then became a racial group that makes up 12% of Americans today – over forty million people.

>Oh, and actually, I did learn about the Barbary Pirates in history class, thank you very much.

>Imperial China
Nope.jpg.

The Chinese divided the world into Subjects =/= Not subjects. That's pretty much it. Your loyalty to the bearer of the Mandate of heaven in addition to filial piety extended towards the realm, and adopting into Chinese culture trumped your ethnic backgrounds.

If you were born as a "barbarian" but considered the Emperor as bearer of the Mandate and served the state, in addition to spouting Confucian piety or some shit, congrats your what was called "a man of Empire."

Slavery in China wasn't also race based. You become a slave through 1) being bought as a slave from a foreign land 2) committed a crime and became a slave via penal servitude 3) debt slavery.

For sure, here's some more Afro Iranians in Hormozgan

This dude looks like every East African immigrant in the US

Same, I learned about it in APUSH too

Saeed Shanbezadeh, a musician who helped revive Afro-Iranian music

Meanwhile, in the real world:
sundown.tougaloo.edu/liesmyteachertoldme.php

James Loewen spent two years at the Smithsonian Institute surveying twelve leading high school textbooks of American History. What he found was an embarrassing amalgam of bland optimism, blind patriotism, and misinformation pure and simple, weighing in at an average of four-and-a-half pounds and 888 pages.

In response, he has written Lies My Teacher Told Me, in part a telling critique of existing books but, more importantly, a wonderful retelling of American history as it should - and could - be taught to American students. Beginning with pre-Columbian American history and ranging over characters and events as diverse as Reconstruction, Helen Keller, the first Thanksgiving, and the My Lai massacre, Loewen supplies the conflict, suspense, unresolved drama, and connection with current-day issues so appallingly missing from textbook accounts.

You weren't taught about it because it's fairly irrelevant, not cause Muslims and DA JOOS are pushing an agenda.

Stop being such a /pol/tard.

They have been blacked iranian women, i saw an album from hozmogan and saw an iranian woman with 6 mixed black kids

>The attack was led by a Dutch captain, Jan Janszoon van Haarlem, also known as Murad Reis the Younger.

Interesting.

>southern Europe pillaged for centuries
>irrelevant
Well admittingly it depends on the context, but in a European history course..

Oy vey white goy you should hate yourself and your race because of slavery 150 years ago

Totally no one ever has enslaved anyone especially not innocent oppressed brown people

Being able to work your way up the social ladder through loyalty/piety in certain cases doesn't change how they viewed their neighbors in general.. nor does it invalidate attitudes of superiority based on race in the other examples.

That only applies to an American history course.. you do know we have European history in American high schools, right?

If you think that there is no more important stuff to teach in an European History course you really need to take a European History course.

I went to a public school in U S A and i learned about that shit in middle school what kind of shit education did you get

>slave trade that lasted for centuries and affected millions isn't worthy of a footnote
You're joking, right?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Janszoon

Wait, YOU ARE NOT!
Now, no jokes, seriosuly, take that course.
You NEED it.

>Americans
>White

>Imperial Japan

Literally the imperial west's fault, Japan saw the rest of Asia getting wrecked and decided to align with Imperial interests and Imperial ideas because the west was really onto something with them.

It literally is.

>some Tunisian captures a bunch of Sicilian fishermen to be galley rowers
>This happens a couple of hundred times a year for a couple hundred years

That's pretty much the story of the Barbary Pirates. If you think that's more important than the reformation, or the Napoleonic Wars, or unification of Germany and Italy for example, none of which are regularly taught either then you are objectively false.

My school didn't even cover Rome or Greece (or really anything before the renaissance)

>Muslim pirates who enslaved millions of Europeans
>Millions

the barbary pirates continued their activity well into the 1800s when european nations seeking to stop their constant attacks against the mediterranean coasts set to conquest and bring law to these lands

I mean there are far more important things to be covered

>A bunch of Algerians invading Sicily with the aim of civilising it

well I mean if you studied colonialism and such the topic of the barbary pirates should have been taught but oh God forbid any school taught anything that justified the evil europeans
and spain and the eastern roman empire and india and france and the balkans and well if they weren't stopped pretty sure they would have continued invading all countries in the world thill they were all as shitty as any muslim emirate/sultanate/caliphate, ironic, isn’t it, the ones who colonised more during the dark and middle ages now claim to be victims of colonialism

>nor does it invalidate attitudes of superiority based on race in the other examples.
You're conflating local prejudices with institutional and systematic prescriptive racism. Greeks thinking of themselves as the most refined people in the world wasn't the same as working out a system wherein all non-greeks were barred from society or considered un-human no other virtue than their skin color. You can see for yourself in Herodotus a kind of wry or patronizing regard for other peoples and their strange ways but nothing that suggests the other people are feeble minded or meant only for servitude, only that he regards the Greek customs as best of all.

The European idea was unique in that it was prescriptive (all blacks are inferior, dumb, beasts of burden because they're black we have the science to prove it). It wasn't local prejudice based on descriptive qualities, it was an attempt to systematically say the black races were inherently biologically inferior and meant only for slavery--they COULDN'T be assimilated into 'civilized culture' because they 'scientifically' weren't able.

We did like one day on colonialism in a semester long course
My teacher really liked the renaissance

Lol that's horseshit.

The Barbary Pirates were pirates, if they ever actually attacked a village it was a raid, not an invasion.

And, yes, North Africans are the victims of colonisation, the Spaniards did some horrendous shit during the Moroccan wars.

LMAO you are telling me that all the jihads when the caliphate was united weren't colonialism? they imposed their religion, culture and ideology upon millions of people it was that or the sword and no, the barbary pirates were worse than simple pirates, their main interests were slaves when Charles I and V conquered Tunis he liberated thousands of christian slaves, even more the slaves were key during the siege as they rebelled against the turkish beys, the spanish and the French did nothing wrong in their intercession in morocco, moroccans deserved worse, they were the first ones to attack Spain and France until Charles Martel stopped them and the course changed, the reconquista went for more than 300 years, islam is the most colonialist and authoritarian religion that exists for sure, history proves that

(you)

>And for your information, all barbary states outlawed slavery before America did
What a crock of shit this is.
>Outlawed
Name one Muslim country that abolished slavery that wasn't under the duress of Europeans (usually Brits). Qatari sheikhs bought slaves to the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II and Saudis only formally abolished the practice in the 60s (though many human rights organizations insist it persists).
Before you tell me it's the wrong type of Muslim, the Barbary states that formerly fell under Ottoman jurisdiction, an empire which never criminalized the practice. British and US ambassadors in Constantinople wrote of Armenian girls being openly sold in Constantinople as late as WWI
Regardless most of these ad hoc Islamic states recognized sharia which not only permits but encourages slave taking.
As for it not being race based...
>Circassian girls were described as fair and light-skinned and were frequently enslaved by Crimean Tatars then sold to Ottomans. They were the most expensive, reaching up to 500 pounds sterling and the most popular with the Turks. Second in popularity were Syrian girls, with their dark eyes, dark hair, and light brown skin, and came largely from coastal regions in Anatolia. Their price could reach up to 30 pounds sterling. They were described as having "good figures when young". Nubian girls were the cheapest and least popular, fetching up to 20 pounds sterling.

Not him, but yes.

Are you American?