DId the Romans realise that they just copy pasted the Greek Pantheon?

DId the Romans realise that they just copy pasted the Greek Pantheon?

I think that was their intention

they were greeks who immigrated to italy tho

Trojans*

Did they not have their own gods because Greece started to influence them? Why would proud people like the Romans who considered everyone not them barbarians adopt foreign gods?

before*

stfu

>Why would proud people like the Romans who considered everyone not them barbarians adopt foreign gods?
They're not foreign.

>(The Gallic War, 52–51 BC) in which he names six of them, together with their functions. He says that Mercury was the most honoured of all the gods and many images of him were to be found. Mercury was regarded as the inventor of all the arts, the patron of travellers and of merchants, and the most powerful god in matters of commerce and gain. After him, the Gauls honoured Apollo, who drove away diseases, Mars, who controlled war, Jupiter, who ruled the heavens, and Minerva, who promoted handicrafts. He adds that the Gauls regarded Dis Pater as their ancestor.

The pantheon is mostly from etruscans which were heavily influenced by greeks

Trojans are a subset of Greeks

Romans took foreign religions and interpreted them so that it fit with their own. The Greek pantheon matched well with their own, but roman gods had many different characteristics. After they came into contact with Greek mythology and literature, it was considered more prestigious. So Greek mythology was adapted to fit with the Romans own religion.

People don't mind cultural osmosis

And who in turn influenced germanic peoples too. Etruscan alphabet and Futhark runes share common ancestry. Hence why futhark is relatively similar to the Latin alphabet in parts?

Trojans aren't real

>Did they not have their own gods because Greece started to influence them?
They did.
Do you think Greeks didn't "borrow" gods too?

Trojans were hittites

Tacitus afffirms this view. He describes germanic gods as being essentially mercury, Hercules and Mars. It would make sense to me in that Odin/Wotan and Hermes/mercury are both psychpomps (guiders of souls and able to slip between worlds. It's interesting too to note lokis ability to run through the sky and Hermes' mischievous streak. Mars/Hercules and Donar/Thor are Self evidently similar.

What's interesting though is that they claim to have found Greek inscriptions which must date back to Odysseus. I think that may have been a glimmer of recognition of runic and Greek/Etruscan writing as in

Trojans were Turks

Romans already had indigenous religion (that likely shared a common ancestor with the Greeks, inasmuch as we can can say any of the European pagan religions had common ancestors with each other). They didn't really have a well-developed mythology aside from their many civic myths. Aside from that, however, they had many religious institutions like the Saturnalia and the Vestals that are unique to Rome, unique gods like Janus, and Gods like Saturn and Mars received greater focus than their Greek counterparts Cronus and Ares. And of course, the Romans were not averse to explicitly importing gods (Cybele/Magna Mater, Asclepius). It makes sense that they would absorb the myths of Greece.

Romans had their own pantheon namely the Capitoline Triad (Jupiter Mars Quirinus) and the Roman pantheon is actually closer IE religion than the Greek one

Fun Fact: Original Roman mythology is a lot more interesting to anthropologists studying proto-Indo-European culture than Greek is, because it has much fewer Semitic influences in it. It preserves more of the original proto IE stuff.

boring as fuck ancestor cult
there´s a reason romans were crazy about foreign oriental religions

Bored women?

who is this qt

Looks like Athena. I once asked in /x/ if I could fap to goddesses as an offering and some schizo replied with an extremely angry 2000 word post about how Athena would not accept it and how brutally will I pay for doing so

Funny thing, I never mentioned Athena nor any particular deity on my post

>ywn be a beautiful goddess's lover or even just her sex toy

NOS

Yes.

Romans would never dream of considering Greeks barbarians.

its like one of those expanding brain memes naturally forming in the wild

Presumably because Athena starred in a similarly themed myth

ERAMUS