Buddha meditated under a tree and achieved enlightenment

>Buddha meditated under a tree and achieved enlightenment

>Muhammad meditated in a cave and received prophethood

>Moses meditated on top of a mountain

What is it about meditation and receiving something profound?

Other urls found in this thread:

facebook.com
youtube.com/watch?v=D0qaQOXxpZc
youtube.com/watch?v=19wLv8W4Ma8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

To understand the world, one must understand himself

>What is it about thinking in seclusion and having ideas

Really user?

For me it brings me back to earth. I spend so much of my fucking day dealing with stuff, meditation brings my mind back to a state in which I'm not feeling like I'm going a million miles an hour. In that state of calm, I feel less like losing my mind and more like just being.

Isolating yourself in nature from civilization allows you to reflect without distraction.

Why isnt meditation taught in schools? The whole world would be alot better.

>>>facebook.com

>To understand the world, one must understand himself

Siddhartha escaped his tributary kingdom of Shakya to better understand the realities of life.
Before then, the young and sickly prince was pampered by a life of indulgence, benefit to the suffering of his subjects.

I think a lot of us are like Siddharta Gautama Buddha.

We, of the first world nations are often ill experienced and naive of the realities of the outside world. Trapped in this life of comfort, most of us have yet to realise the true values of the privileged belongings a single person is able to possess.

In order to escape this “throne room” of privilege, we must first experience the harsh and despotic cruelties of everyday life for the common people outside of our society.

Of the OP, only Buddha was doing concentrative meditation, the rest were just being introspective.

Why can’t you understand the world first?

>the rest were just being introspective.
No they weren't retard

Then tell him why it isn’t.

This is why buddhism is appealing to Westerners, but for the average poverty 3rd world living man buddhism is not the answer because you are giving up on indulgence you have never even experienced.

Muhammad would travel to a cave to meditate often because he thought something was wrong with the world he lived in and Moses traveled up a mountain to meditate in order to find something that will allow him to govern his people.

Do you know more about Muhammad or Moses?

I know very little about either but I know they meditated and achieved a higher being or profound wisdom.

NO, you assume that because you're a New Age mystic who doesn't realize there are multiple meanings to the word "Meditation" and not all of them refer to Concentrative Meditation.

Hell, even Buddhists don't JUST practice Concentrative Meditation there are dozens of practices.

More the opposite. It's not about giving up on indulgance; rather, it's about realizing that even if you can afford the comforts of modern civilization; even if you can comfortably afford transportation, food, clothing, shelter and healthcare costs, you will still encounter suffering on a daily basis. Loss and pain will still be a part of your life, and the comfort-seeking behaviors that we're encouraged to perform do very little to reduce the actual experience of that suffering (and often exacerbate that suffering instead, in the long-term).

By gaining insight into the nature of suffering, you are better equipped to reduce the suffering you experience yourself, and with practice, you can extend that same reduction of suffering to others around you, to a certain extent.

Because if you don't understand yourself you don't have the tools to measure the world. As far as I'm concerned you can never truely understand another human being until you able to discern what your own motives, feelings, and thoughts mean

lmao you stupid fuck, how do you know they didnt use concentration meditation? Where you there at the time observing them?

Thanks for answering that seriously. I just couldn’t put it into words.

Why do you assume they were? Do you have any evidence whatsoever that Moses and Muhammad were spending their days sitting lotus focusing on clearing their minds of all thought other then the fact that you seem to have cleared your mind of all thought?

>It is known from the life of the holy Prophet that he used to travel to Syria in his young age. At that time Syria and that part of the world was the center of devout monks, mystics, kabbalists, sabians, gnostics - vibrating with fusion of different traditions. Now if one has to trace back the history of meditational techniques among different world faiths and analyze the time line (because the more ancient it is, the more sophisticated it might become over the time with accumulation of wisdom) - one is sure to go back to ancient land of Indus valley (hence the name Hindus) we now call India. Many scholars do acknowledge that fact that ancient Indian spiritual wisdom did spread beyond its boundaries. It was instrumental in influencing other religious and spiritual practices. Thus cross-cultural and cross-spiritual exchange was a very much possible reality prior and during the time of the Prophet. Hindu civilization having very rich tradition of meditation techniques was borrowed by others and assimilated into their own.

I looked it up and I have actual evidence, while you are speaking out of your ass

That's my religious beliefs there now.

>>Muhammad meditated in a cave and received prophethood
>>Moses meditated on top of a mountain
>What is it about meditation and receiving something profound?

"Profound."

youtube.com/watch?v=D0qaQOXxpZc

back to /x/

Muhammed love people!

>back to /x/

I'm right where I belong. Just reminding Veeky Forums who really runs this planet and determines the destination of human souls.

youtube.com/watch?v=19wLv8W4Ma8

It is much harder for the westerners to give up all of their belongings than it is for the poor.

There is a whole community of wandering ascetics in india. They're not all rich, but there are some former-rich people who've given up everything in life and decided to go hobo style to find their peace. Some westerners have since done the same, but its mainly the poors.

Except Buddhism thrives in the outrageously poor SEA and Westerners are NOT Buddhist you goof

>Muhammad meditated

Its a code word for "prayed to god/allah" in Abrahamic religion terms.

>Moses meditated on top of a mountain
he never meditated on the mountain rather he was with God the whole time. The mountain known as Sinai/Horeb was God's first home in which he lived, this concept is common in the Ancient Near East.

What do you think intense
hardcore
Prayer
is, user?

When you hear the absolute truth, you will laugh

I meditated inside my room for 5 years and have achieved NEET status.

Prayer and meditation are the same

really makes me think

>really makes me think

this really made me think

Namo tassa Bhagavato Arahato samma Sambuddhasu.
I am learning about Therevada Buddhism, but am confused/fearful of the implications of Anata, and retreat to Krishna worship. How do I conquer fear of Annata?

>Philosophers who were out in public and exchanged ideas with the public like Confucius and Plato
Working philosophies that organized societies.

>Whackjobs who spend time alone meditating
Bullshit-based violent religion or crazy philosophies filled with assumptions.

All things are violence, steeped in ignorance. Faith sheds ignorance if followed correctly. Do your duty.