Kowloon Walled City

>a city block in Hong Kong
>no architectural control, built on top, between, and on top 15 times over
>open gutter sewage system, first two stories practically unlivable
>a regular room is about 4 square meters
>no cops, triads keep local order
>mainly for commie refugees and those who want to produce black market goods
youtube.com/watch?v=S-rj8m7Ssow

This is fucking fascinating. Any other places like this, or better documentaries on the subject?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M5VUx3T7acI&t=562s
youtube.com/watch?v=dj_8ucS3lMY
youtube.com/watch?v=Saxf2H-4ro4&t=715s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Shame that all the slums don't look like that
At least they wouldn't take up so much space

china moved all the people from there, nobody live there anymore

yes, yes they did. this is Veeky Forums, right?

what do you mean, lad?

He means that he wants to discuss this historical topic, even though he recognizes that it no longer exists.

This is what a post apocolyptic city would look like

Thought it was a flippant post and responded what I thought was accordingly (sorry if I was wrong). I just want to see if there were any more in-depth documentaries, articles, or similar situations to read about.

>when you build your mega city arcology complex block before the atomic wars have even begun

Why does poor hygiene look like a metal album?

WHEN

SO this is how famous HK Char Siu is made.

Technically it's not in Hong Kong.

Isn't that the point of it? Or am I missing something?

it seems chinese people love to smoke a lot

Yeap. Technically nobody owned it. It was a diplomatic aberration that grew out of a Qing Dynasty military fort.

youtube.com/watch?v=M5VUx3T7acI&t=562s
youtube.com/watch?v=dj_8ucS3lMY
youtube.com/watch?v=Saxf2H-4ro4&t=715s

All great insights into the city

Before I delve in, these are explorations and interviews within the city, correct? Because I've watched a few including the British one where they interview a person on the outside of the city, and that was it.

Metal and hygiene just cant coexist.

Cleaner then breathing in the air directly.

Kekek

Yes, the last one is my favorite, because it's narrated by a man who had lived there his whole life. He shows the viewer everyday life of the city, including the two gruesome public toilets, ending with a enlightening discussion among the city's young about it's various problems.

Fuck, alright!

here hab som pictures

nice pics, thanks!

The jade smoking pipes should be mentioned.

The factories and conditions like those present in the city are fine according to Milton Friedman and his adherents.

Just go to /co/ and ask for judge user. He is one of the few quality things on that board, and posses an encyclopediac knowledge of judge dredd and its mythos. He will be able to tell you if there are issues in hong kong.

How and why did they have a fucking foundry there?

it was an enclave of China but China had no means of enforcing the law so everyone moved there for illegal activities. British police couldn't do anything because it was technically china. when China got hong kong back, they could enforce the area so the walled city became useless, and was torn down.

you will love this book user
I had it on pdf but accidentally deleted it

>when China got hong kong back, they could enforce the area so the walled city became useless, and was torn down.
But it was demolished 10 years before the transfer

There is actually also a pretty fine fighting manga that goes by the same name

> Any other places like this
Rocinha in Rio de Janeiro, pop. 70.000

Damn! $170 on Amazon? One of the few times I would prefer a .pdf, that's a damn shame...

Yes, a board with a 25 year rule.

You realize this city didn't just pop into existence the moment before it was destroyed, right?

Fucking beautiful. Any idea of what was the crime rate inside?

Technically non-existent.

Since your crime organizations were your authority.

You'd think it'd be a violent place but interestingly its level of violent crime was no different than the rest of HK

What the actual fuck you smoking, did redefine the crime before posting this comment?

Crime is anything illegal.

Being gay is a crime in Saudi Arabia, but not in California.

Technically, Kowloon never had any laws, so nothing was illegal, so there was no crime. Murder, robbery, rape may have still happened but that's technically not a crime in KWC.

imagine living across the commie block across the street and have this ugly turd obscuring your view everytime you look through the window

This is autism or retardation, either high tier

He's technically correct. You may not like his answer because he's being a smart ass but you really can't argue with the logic.

>Technically, Kowloon never had any laws, so nothing was illegal, so there was no crime.
good thinking