Do nothing except wage a bunch of pointless wars that ruin the economy of your country

>Do nothing except wage a bunch of pointless wars that ruin the economy of your country
>Go down in history as one of the greats

Is there a more overrated monarch in all of history?

>Do nothing except wage a bunch of pointless wars that ruin the economy of your country

so like all monarchs?

>Go down in history as one of the greats

according to whom?

You're just jealous of his hair.

>so like all monarchs?
Well generally, good monarch's wars end up benefiting their country in the long term.
>according to whom?
his epithet is "The Great"

>Well generally, good monarch's wars end up benefiting their country in the long term.

for the upper class and soldiery maybe, though they also generally disrupt trade, bring disease, famine, discontent and lead to more wars

>his epithet is "The Great"

whom gave him this name?

No matter how worthless your land is losing it has worse effects then some famines and a revolution

and which monarch is coming for your land?

>his epithet is "The Great"
Never heard about that, he was called "Roi soleil". (Sun King)

He conquered Rousillon, Alsace, Artois and French Flandres. Plus, huge cultural influence in Europe. Also, his nickname in France is more commonly the Sun King (Roi-Soleil) which is more appropriate to his delusions of grandeur. Henry IV also has the title "the Great", which is more fitting to him I find.

I was just going off of what wikipedia said

>known as Louis the Great (Louis le Grand) or the Sun King (le Roi Soleil),

>to whom?
I think "the epiphet" is a poor answer, so I'll just answer by saying he's the king that little french kids hear the most about in class, for some reason, while top tier Charles VII and his waifu Joan get less screentime

Fucking glorious. The Crown need not answer to the church, the aristocracy, or the people. Absolute monarchy is the only true way to rule.

he followed the law, which makes him pious. Fought in the american revolutionary war. Defended against foreign hordes of english and spanish invaders. Lost some of his colonies, but kept haiti and built it too which was worth more than the rest combined. What he lost, wasn't worth two pennys to France, what he gained, was the foundation of a french empire. Because he imitated the roman empire, which was to destroy enemy armies wholly, and force a lasting peace for whatever problem there may be.

>Fought in the american revolutionary war

American education.

>Fought in the american revolutionary war

Has anybody got the Veeky Forums 'how much they suffered/how much they deserved it' chart?

here you go

thnks

"The Greats" often don't hold up under historical scrutiny.

>Carthage's placement
Gee, I wonder who is behind this.

>built humongous palace your country can't afford
>why.jpeg
>force nobles to live in it and spend all their money, lest they want to be so isolated from court politics they become irrelevant
>it works
>effectively plant the last nail in feudalism's coffin and give birth to the modern notion of centralized power

makes you think, desu

So that's the only thing you know about him right? He waged wars?
>the absolute state of Veeky Forums

Great is a title given based on impact, not moral judgement of the value of that impact.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

>guy who literally never suffered any consequences for his actions at 90,95
???

>Huey Long
>suffering 25%
>deserved it 50%
t. Mr. Rockefeller

Great always implied positive impact and was always given without a full understanding of it.
Most kings and emperors got titled "Great" by people without the access to historical documents that we have today.

True, Louis XIV don't get enough credit for destroying feudalism with mindless etiquette.

I AM THE SENATE

>keep nobles al together so they can't plot in various parts of the country
WEW

>pointless wars
Winning the war of Spanish succession ensured the Bourbons would live on forever
>shitting on the sun king
You do know how much of the Netherlands he ate right
Also did all that without ever officially allying the Turks so far better than Francis I
Frances golden age is why he's called the sun king
But fuck him for not championing the pope

The Nobles cant take you prisoner and hold you for ransom if you force all the nobles to become your prisoners

>Bourbons
>Live Forever

They weren't exactly defensive wars and they ended up wrecking the economy and treasury.

Bourbons are still alive today retard

>Britain's deserve score 5 behind Germany
Gee i wonder how many frogs were involved in this image.

they lost the only war of importance that we ever fought

Y
E
A
R
S

>ruin the economy of your country ?
Who care except some anglo-germanic pleb ?

> improve the economy of your country
> it only temporarily suffers from wars that end the habsburg encirclement of France
> turns Spain into ally
> makes France the dominant european power, has everyone aping him
> patron of the arts
> build cool stuff

Yeah that was in 1685.

Then he starts a couple of stupid wars and ruins everything.

Didn't realize Alberto Barbosa was such a bad guy

He's the only reason Iberia isn't unified

True, but I think it explains his reputation well enough, I mean Napoleon is remembered as an amazing general, despite later fucking up at Waterloo

>whom gave him this name?
It's who you Philistine.

he pretty much created all of high culture and upper society life of the 18th century

I consider the two best French Kings Louis IX and Philip Augustus. And they both improved France.

What could have saved the French Monarchy:

>The year is 149 BC.
>Suddenly a Japanese truck hits 85 years old Cato the Elder
>A Roman Goddess says "Cato, you will revive you with all your memories as a Prince in Fr-Gaul 2,000 years in the futur- No Cato, we can't revive you in Rome, it doesn't exist anym... Yes, it fell after adopting Greek Norms. Anyway, you will be the King of the most powerful country. Good luck
>And so, the angriest of all Romans is reborn as Louis XV and makes French nobility great again

>two best French Kings Louis IX
My brother from another father!

>he pretty much created all of high culture and upper society life of the 18th century
That's a minus, not a plus.

>t. quasi-maghrebi francoNEET who lives in a slum on the outskirts of marseille

dude was also a fat fuck