Possibly a stupid question, but what's the Christianity equivalent of the Sunni-Shi'a split in Islam...

Possibly a stupid question, but what's the Christianity equivalent of the Sunni-Shi'a split in Islam? Like Catholic-Methodist or more like Catholic-Seventh Day Adventist?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Orthodox_Church
catholic.com/tract/what-catholic-means
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Luddite-Protestant

Christianity-Islam

Muslims are the scum of the earth and should be mass murdered or forcibly converted.

Paulician-mom Paulician

*non

Why don't you like Muslims?

Catholic-Orthodox

This is correct

Orthodox what?

Come and get me dumb kaffir

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Orthodox_Church
Split from the Catholics around 1050

I suppose he meant roman catholic and orthodox catholic.

They are both considered catholic, so saying "from catholic" is somewhat misleading.

Pedantic faggot. People always mean Roman Catholic when they say catholic, and never mean Eastern Orthodox when they say catholic.

Chalcedonians & Oriental Orthodox

>people should be mass murdered or forcibly converted
t. muslim
(You)

Orthodox catholic. We're on his for Christ sake not be. His for history. How can you call proper and accurate usage of terms pedantic. Stop binging on soda, kid ok?

Nothing because the Sunni-Shia split happened immediately after the death of Muhammad when the community questioned if anyone could become caliph or if Muhammad's descendants could only become caliph.

Christ created one universal church which he entrusted to the apostles and the bishops they ordained to succeed them and there was no major schism until the Nestorian controversy in the 5th century

People of the book who worship the god that the prophet Isa preached about and the absolute heretic idol worshiping scum that is the current """"""christianity""""""" and all of its variants

T:gnostic meteorite worshiper

Are Sunnis basically ethno strands of Islam the same way Orthodox churches are ethno Churches or is protestantism a better cognate for them?

Shiites are undoubtedly the equivalent of Catholics with their supreme council right? Sufis are basically... Pentecostals I guess?

You gross another poopy smelly Islam thread. Islam is poopy smelly stinky and bad Islam equals poop. P o o p. poop

You shouldn't compare them too much for a variety of reasons
First, there is no unified 'church' structure like there is in Christianity. There isn't a pope and the overall structure is much less centralized. You can't speak of "Egyptian Islam" in a meaningful way that you could of various 'national churches' that existed before the reformation
Secondly, the Sunni Shia split was a leadership split that later gained different theologies
And sufism is a syncretic form of Islam that arguably incorporates shamanistic elements. Other than Mormonism there isn't anything like it in the Christian sphere

So I'm basically right? Ballpark figures here, no need to get bogged in theology

Not really
The Sunni Shia split isn't really very close to anything in Christendom.

At least they believe in the same God

How are Shiites not a useful cognate to Catholics with their grand council that all shias world wide are supposed to answer to as well as their preoccupations with aesthetics?

I'm talking practical comparisons here, not internal theology, obviously there is no Christian cognate when it comes to the lines of succession regarding Muhammad.

Fair enough you might hate ISIS et al, but why do you hate Islam?

Because it's a poopy religion. Islam is stinky, poopy, smelling and stinky and bad. Islam is bad. Islam is poopy.

>Christians never forced people to convert or die
Imagine being this ignorant.

>be

About the same

I never claimed that

Citation needed

Jesus wasn't a warlord who established an empire which triggered a succession crisis.

The closest thing is probably the split between Rome and Constantinople, I guess. Or perhaps even the split between Eastern and Western Rome, if we view the Caliphate as the East's response to the Roman Empire.

the closest is Orthodox-RC but there's no equivalent. There's very little theological difference and it's more akin to authoritative disagreement, a bit like the Orthodox and RC Churches. Basically, who is the successor of Mohammad

Any other distinct differences emerged later

Stop false flagging, Muhammed

Fuck poopy Islam! Islam stinks! Islam is poopy! Islam is poopy! Islam smells bad! Islam=poop. Islam=poop.

t. Isabella

A truly stimulating discussion starter. So much nuance.

Because its true. Islam is poopy. Islam stinks! If you're a Muslim fuck you, you smell like poo! Fuck Islam. Islam is poop! Islam=poop!

East and West divide, t.b.h

Both over meaningless semantics and bullshit

Not only are you being needlessly pedantic, but you are actually 100% wrong. "Catholic" only refers to Roman Catholics and "Orthodox" only refers to Eastern Orthodox and even if you count other types of Orthodox Christianity they still fall under the same "Orthodox" label which separates them from Roman Catholics.
Anyways to answer OPs question, the Shia and Sunnis disagree over the leadership of the church...Orthodox and Catholics largely have the same qualms (though it began as a fight about iconoclasm it currently is mostly a political and cultural battle, like Sunni and Shia).

Not /pol/ but this is truly "bluepilled"

He's probably a Muslim, Lord knows that the number one killer of Muslims is other Muslims

No, that's literally it.
The split largely occurred because there are words and concepts in Greek that when translated into Latin have a slightly different meaning

Calvinist-Charismatic

>a quarter of a shekel has been deposited in your bank account

What is the muslim equivalent to Gnosticism? Or any out there islamic offshoots?

Sufism or maybe Druze

Mainstream Islam in both branches actually has quite a bit of gnostic influence

roman catholic- greek orthodox you absolute retards

I've never heard someone refer to it as the orthodox catholic church. Is that an Orthodox thing?

Bishops and Popes weren't created by christ, so the Orthodox-Roman Schism is pretty equivalent to Shia-Sunni one

Sufism is pretty close to the amerindian-catholic syncretism that happened on south america

Catholic by itself means universal, thus I'm guessing every denomination of Christianity wants to be "catholic". In the sense that, it's the universal church. Technically, the Orthodox church thinks of themselves too as a catholic church meaning, that it's the universal church of Christ.

I just skimmed this website: catholic.com/tract/what-catholic-means

And this:
>The Eastern Orthodox Church, also known as the Orthodox Church, or officially as the Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church, is the second-largest Christian Church, with over 250 million members