ITT: inventions that seem to have come bizarrely late

ITT: inventions that seem to have come bizarrely late.

Silverware: largely unknown in early medieval Europe

Doorknobs: didn't exist until the 1800s

What else?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QuYJU9OugZg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

potatoes and tomatoes

strawberries are a late 18th century
Basically most fruit and vegetables varieties in the market

Capitalism.

Fucking wheels on suitcases

Full plate armor

stirrups, apparently they need a solid saddle tree which makes it easier for the horse to breathe, but you'd think they'd figure that out as well if millions of people are using horses all the time, same with the collar harness

The wheelbarrow is such a simple thing and the earliest estimate for its invention is around 100 AD

solid saddle tree puts less wear and tear on the horse's back rather

That's literally ancient

Kinda went back and forth in history, Romans had it at one point and even ancient Minoans made from bronze.

Strawberries exited, but they looked like pic related

Drawn animation was not a thing until motion pictures, with photography

How old are flipbooks?

t. retard

Capitalism is basically market-economy, which always existed, plus enough surplus (due to agrarian and industrial revolutions) and liquidity (due to exchange being made easy by coin and effective large trade networks) that it's easy to invest money and live of the returns from those investments.

>strawberries are a late 18th century

No they're not, the Crusaders brought strawberries back to Europe from the MidEast.

Why do you hate freedom?

>the wheel has existed for thousands of years
>suitcases have existed for hundreds of years
>suitcases with wheels on them didn't exist until 1974

Why do you have to use a reductionist argument

In fairness there weren't a great amount of surfaces which would have allowed the use of sensitive suitcase wheels until the early 20th century.

Racism didn't exist until the 1700s. It's commonly agreed fact that before then no one anywhere in the world had ever noticed people from a certain background looked similar

dat post number tho

there were also few negro porters after desegregation and civil rights kicked in

So, I'm a poorfag, but also a smartfag. So, I went to community college and then full scholarship at a shit school but then Yale for graduate school.

In a mandatory ethics class I had an ultra rich 23 year old no work experience black girl explain how racism was invented by whites in the 1500s to justify colonization.

To my great satisfaction the Han Chinese guy told her they had been racist as fuck against other Asians for millennia, and than the Korean girl talked about her family's experience during the LA riots.

Rich girl didn't skip a beat though and went into intersectional privilege theory. She was black and outranked them

racism wasn't invented but that story sounds fake

Checked

Bicycles. Amazes me that people even created self-powered steam cars before anyone thought to plop themselves on a stick with two wheels.

You need readily access to rubber and a specific chain-system for bikes to work.

>
>You need readily access to rubber and a specific chain-system for bikes to work.

wut?

Plate armor, yes, but not full plate armor.

>Capitalism is basically market-economy
Huh guess Cuba is a capitalist country then since they've a market economy, just very regulated.

They're not really commie, just a dictatorian shithole, they were just allied with the URSS and corporates like to make people believe that all forms of protectiontism or regulated market is dah communism.

>Implying that the type of bike you pictured is even remotely practical.

>Vedic India
>Casta system is called Varna, means color
>The lowest caste is called Shudra and consists of the darkest skinned Dravidians
>To this day, higher classed people have lighter skin
If we just ignore facts, you're right.

t.never gonna make it

Wild Strawberries have existed in England since at least the mediveal era, but the modern strawberry starts to be bred in the late 17th century in Kent
This pic is better for scale, they're less sweet than the ones you buy in shops but still delicious

user that's only because of the decline of the horse and the cart as well as needing to move around all your possesions rather than just your person

>ah we still rely on roman sanitation so people still shit and piss in the street, better stick my box of important things through that

Second half of the 19th century apparently, so really not that old.
youtube.com/watch?v=QuYJU9OugZg

Sequential images existed before that of course but "flipbooks" are much more recent.

My grandparents grow these in their yard. Most kids don't know this kind exists

My parents also grows 'em. They're delicious.

Buttons
Wheelbarrow

On January 5, 1858, Waterbury native Ezra J. Warner invented the first US can opener.

The idea of storing food in cans dates back almost 50 years earlier when Peter Durand of England patented a can made of wrought iron with a tin lining.

But the impracticality of the penny-farthing bicycle have little if anything to do with the lack of rubber or a "specific chain system."

I can only imagine the amount of injuries that occurred with people using knives or hunks of metal to open these cans before someone said "there must be a better way"

>wheelbarrow
REALLY OLD MAN
>50 years earlier
Not that long man, and what good chef doesn't have a knife to hand to cut through it

The chain thingy-magig is quite relevant to it yes.

You don't know what you're talking about

>metals existed 3000+ years ago
>inks existed 4000+ years ago
>mechanical moving machines existed 3000+ years ago

>printing press was invented only few hundred years ago

>doorknobs
What?
How did they open doors?

They pushed them

Steam engines.

>the ancient Greeks created a small prototype
>anyone who ever cooked anything knows that boiling water creates energy.
>nobody has the idea to use it for anything practical for 2000 years

>Silverware: largely unknown in early medieval Europe
True, but it was totally a thing in antiquity, so it's not really a late discovery. Also forks were already back to being common by the 11th century, spoons by the 14th.

>Defining a system of production on how goods and services are distributed, not how it's produced

>cooking food and making water drinkable isn't practical

>a wood stove accomplishes the same job for less resources with no risk of exploding

it still boggles my mind how long it took for stirrups to develop

But what if it was a 'pull'?

In the olden times you had to know someone on the other side of the door.

you would have a handle, but no doorknob, the locking mechanism be it a sliding lock or something else would be independent from the door handle.

But how would you pull it open with a handle if the door was held by a sliding lock?

You would unlock it with a key. Then you would pull the handle, though you wouldn't turn the handle, like we do.

But what if they couldn't find the key?

They pick the lock, get a locksmith, get an extra key, break down the door, Etc.
What do you do if you can't find you key?

>birth control (1960)
Honestly. It's pretty weird that it took men so long to come up with a way to have casual sex, more often, with no long term consequences.

I use the doorknob instead

Electricity.

But there was birth control before the 60s

Dude, the ancient Egyptians already had practices to prevent conception. The Greeks and Romans used pic related like the modern pill. Men from time immemorial used the intestines of animals as condoms.

Birth control was not invented in modern times, people just came up with more effective ways for it due to advances in pharmacy and the discovery of rubber.

Would fuck.

Nail clippers

Well shit user, you just blew my mind. I always thought the wheelbarrow came about a few hundred years after the wheel or something.

Birth control PILLS, not condoms make out of sheep intestines.

Most kids I know know they exist. Your anecdotal stats are retarded

Noodles. Seriously, where did they even come from?

Nobody knew how to read anyways.

does this board have a /sqt/? im looking for a link to that archive of Veeky Forumssuggested reading. i dont want to make a thread asking for book recommendations.

Could have developed independently in many places.

Like ice cream.

>what are wheelbarrows

>earliest steel 1800 BC
>first steel plow 1800 AD
literally fucking how

Until 1750, everyone was retarded. Look it up.

steel's expensive

why are there no tungsten carbide paper clips?

There's always a book recommendation thread up and you can create one

The difference is that the steel plow is such an upgrade that it's one of the most significant innovations in agricultural history. At the very least, it came 200 years later than it should have, when modern steel-making techniques became more common

What kind of difference did it make? Pretty sure they needed some innovations in steel making before it could be economical.

It didn't break every time you hit any old rock. It was a huge deal for efficiency, and meant farmers could till significantly more land in the same amount of time. That's why it was adopted so quickly after invention, it generated way more income than it cost.

>it generated way more income than it cost.

There's mote to farming than your plow. Suffice to say this might have not alwaysbeen the case.

Outside of very early agriculture, it's hard to imagine an era where more tilled land would not be a big improvement. The most likely reason it took so long isn't that steel was extra costly, but that farmers were particularly poor.

Don't you guys get mad when people do that? I'm sure you've heard that question asked a thousand times by now.

>I don't like this story so it's fake

>falling for the most obvious sarcasm

This guy rode around the world on a """novelty""". Responding any further will just make you look even dumber.

>Boiling water creates energy

>creates energy

I still find it absurd how even things like this didn't exist until the 19th century

The Alexandria steam engine was a toy, it took thousands of years for metallurgy to evolve to a point that you could actually do anything remotely useful with steam power without it immediately exploding.