Am I the only one more fascinated with Pre-IndoEuropean cultures?

Am I the only one more fascinated with Pre-IndoEuropean cultures?

They seem more interesting to me than overhyped and overrated Indo Europeans.

Take for example Kura-Araxes, they invented wine.

Bump :(

Wish I had something to contribute here.

Aren't Basques pre-indo-Europeans?

>Overhyped
Except they conquered all of it outright.

They are, but they're not that old. Essentially, the Basque appear to be the earliest agricultural migrants into Europe, coming out of Anatolia around 8,000 BC. The British Isles, France and Spain were likely dominated by Vasconic people for a long time prior to the arrival of the Celts.

Fertile Crescent > meme Aryans

Who the fuck were Maykop and what happened to them.

In this period only South-Eastern Europe is interesting, the rest of Europe is boring as shit.

YAMNA SUPREMACY

>tfw European side is Basque
>tfw learning the language

It really is unlike anything in Europe, not much to base it off of. Who are the oldest Pre-Indo European peoples?

>Haak 2015
>Hack 2015
At least the name for it is right. Eupedia is a literal tras. Steppe admixture is the highest among Germanics, Balts and Slavs. Unironically the whitest people on the planet.

The Nuragic culture left behind hundreds of statuettes representing daily life: warriors, priests, ships, animals, and the oldest stone statues found in Europe too

Not true, the Ozieri culture in Sardinia and the Malta temple culture left behind a lot of interesting monuments

Prehistoric masterpiece

The dresses and poses of the Malta Neolithic people remind me a lot of Sumerian and Central asian civilizations

Send some source about this thing.

About what?

One day I will go malta, these sites are so crazy

>Who are the oldest pre-indo european people?

Depends what you mean. Surviving today, it's the Basque, but again, they're not *that* much older. The "first" inhabitants would have been the swarthy-skinned blue eyed pastoralist cromagnons who inhabited it prior to the arrival of agriculture.

These people were subsumed by Near Eastern (Basque) farmers and later Aryan migrations. The only place where they left anything beyond a shadow of a legacy is Sardinia, so they probably have the best claim to being the oldest pre-indo european people.

Like Gimbutas's "Old European" culture, the Sardinians (or "Nuraghi") seemed to have had a matriarchal cult, and into modern times the island was one of the strongest centers of the Marian Cult.

Tangentially, it is also possible that the so-called "Alpine Saracens" represent the ancient cromagnid peoples of Europe, but it's difficult to say. Little is known of them.

no Canary Islands???

Interesting to note: There is a bonafide ziggurat on Sardinia.

The Nuragics also had a very important male deity, the Sardus Pater, they dedicated a massive temple to him

The Sardus pater

Wasn't Sardus Pater a roman interpolation?

No, the area was sacred since Nuragic times when there was a sanctuary there, and in Punic time when there was a temple deticated to the Punic equivalent of Sardus, though we can't be sure about the Nuragic fase since there is only a document in the site regarding that phase and it's not translatable

>Who are the oldest Pre-Indo European peoples?

West Europeans have high rates of WHG genes, those are the oldest in Europe. So probably Britain or Ireland.

No, the area was sacred since Nuragic times when there was a sanctuary there, and in Punic times when there was a temple dedicated to the Punic equivalent of Sardus, though we can't be sure about the Nuragic phase since there is only a document in the site regarding that phase and it's not translatable

No, the area was sacred since Nuragic times when there was a sanctuary there, and in Punic times when there was a temple dedicated to the Punic equivalent of Sardus, though we can't be sure about the Nuragic phase since there is only a document in the site regarding that phase and it's not translatable

>the Sardinians (or "Nuraghi") seemed to have had a matriarchal cult,

No. This is simply nonsense. There has never been a matriarchal society, decades of searching for one by feminist scholars has turned up exactly nothing.

Where did they come from? I remember reading that archaeologist found some very VERY old remains in England recently, do you think they evolved on their own In western Europe? Forgive me if I sound naive but I'm barely learning about all this

Not to mention the Nuragic society worshiped warriors and weapons to the point where they ritually fixed bronze swords and spears on the roof of their temples and in other sacred areas, which doesn't go well with the idea that they were peaceful matriarchs

They came from western Asia after the last big ice age. there were humans in Europe before them, but they died out / left when the ice came and have left no genetic trace in modern populations.

>uruk period

i knew they were real

I spent a month excavating a late neolithic/early chalcolithic site in SW Bulgaria, probably the largest area of a prehistoric site ever excavated. AMA

Did you find anything cool?

Remains of a mudbrick wall dating back to the early chalcolithic. Such a thing has been documented for the first time here in this age. Apart from that there were a lot of burned wattle-and-daub houses and pits.

How big do you estimate the village was? Is that possible based on what you saw?

Á matriarchy doesn't imply a peaceful culture, that's just obsolete anthropological theory trying to find absolutes in dualism and believing that because women are peaceful in contemporary societies they had to be in the past.

Pre-IndoEuropean cultures.

Still, there's no evidence of them being matriarchal and we know that their most important deity was a male

Who lived in the Iberian peninsula?

In Roman times there were still many pre IE people in Iberia: Iberians, Turdetans, Basque

Cool. But back in the copper age was anyone there?

The culture of Los Millares and later that of El argar.

Los Millares (3100-1800 bc) people were living in big settlements, some of them almost urban, the most notable is Los Millares, they were buried in tholos tombs ( tumuli wih a false valt).

Later the culture of El argar developed from them and reached a high level of cultural complexity, they were almost urbanized and produced remarkably well made golden artifacts, they also had swords made of arsenical copper, known as "El Argar swords" and really similar to those found at the same time in Sardinia.

They were buried in cists like the Aegeans but there's no evidence of direct contact with them during this period.

Here's one of their treasures

Los Millares, their biggest town, they were probably the precursors of the pre IE Iberians, however there's a huge gap between these guys and the Iberians (1000 years), something happened that made them regress back

The bronze age collapse?

No, it happened before that