Do you lift heavy? Frank Zane, one of the most proportional bodybuilders ever, doesn't think you should

Do you lift heavy? Frank Zane, one of the most proportional bodybuilders ever, doesn't think you should.

"Many people have asked me over the years what I would do differently if I had the chance to go back to my early years of training in the late 60's and early ’70's? In those days, I did what was necessary for me to win. This included training with heavyweights: a precursor for injury. So if I could do it over again, I’d train with lighter weights, higher reps, no sets below 10 reps, with negatives slower than positives, and avoid injury. If I had done that, my physique wouldn’t have been quite as bulky, but with more definition and with less pain. I hope you find this advice helpful!" - Frank Zane

What do you think? Is lifting heavy worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

t-nation.com/img/photos/2013/13-784-05/03.jpg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just depends what you're going for,. You could go for the bodybuilder body, or lift heavy and probably be a little smaller, but maximizing what you have.

Even if you don't lift heavy, large physiques are possible. Look up Oskar Faarkrog.

>inb4 some DYEL faggot thinks his light weight routine is going to get him to Frank Zane mode.

Well, what's the context for "heavy"?

The general rule for me has been: find the weight you can move for 10 reps and do that. Simple.

what was his best in competition?

Oh nevermind, he just showed around on stage in a malethong.

He's probably right in regards of bbing (see ronnie he can´t even walk).

That seems to be what Zane thinks is the right idea, no sets below 10 reps.

Yeah well, obviously he's talking about bodybuilders and not powerlifters, fatass.

Sounds great if you have 4 hours to spend in the gym every day doing 5x15 for 20 different accessories.

That works when you're on gear

Natty trainees do best when training heavy with lower reps

he was on a creatine blend don't do this if ur natty desu the most i ever do is like 10-12 reps, mostly 8

"powerlifters", everyone

>large physiques
>pic unrelated

>Frank Zane
>what was his best in competition?
>Frank Zane

hahahahahahahaha lovely u got me m8 #slayed

No. That's not what he's saying. He's saying low reps are more physically damaging regardless of your goals

The fuck are you talking about

You people are so fucking dumb I'm going to lose my shit here. It's not an issue of what's most effective. It's, what is safest and most sustainable for the long term function of the body

Holy shit, this thread.

>POWERLIFTERS
Your bullshit did not exist for most of Zane's early career in any meaningful form. He did deadlift and squat, just like you memelords. He did it back when people knew they didn't have to be lardasses to lift heavy ass weights.

>NATTY SKELLINGTONS
Your fucking soapbox has caved in. Unless you are an athlete or have health concerns, steroids are just another supplement. If you don't like that some people use it, find another hobby. Roids don't make stamp-collecting easier, so maybe that's more your speed.

>OP YOU MASSIVE FAGGOT
Zane has gone on record in favor of lifting heavy, but he advocates that each person does what works for them. Bodybuilding is itself not a healthy hobby, but lifting heavy is an effective training method for it. Lifting light might be better for your health, but this is not a health forum anymore. Just because the sign on the door says "Fitness", that doesn't mean this is your grandma's Zumba class. We lift heavy and crush pussy (or boipucci) around here.

Frank is a genetic freak of nature. He could east donuts and sleep all day and he'd still be bigger/fitter than 90% of this board.
That's said, lifting big and heavy is the way to go for the vast majority of normal people.

>Frank is a genetic freak of nature. He could east donuts and sleep all day and he'd still be bigger/fitter than 90% of this board.

You call it genetics, I call it good roids.

Lifting heavy + gear probably isn't gonna end well. Lots of soft tissue and connective tissue injuries. Muscle gains outpacing tendon strengthening. Etc etc

Nattys should not take advice from professional body builders

Many pro bbers get big despite their training methods, not because of them. And they might still be clueless after they retire.

whats his definition of "heavy"?
i bet he means weights that are beyond reach of ordinary fitizen
i doubt that 2pl8 bench is what he means by "heavy"

Kek every time I see some faggot who obviously doesn't compete loading up heavy on deads, squat and bench. Say goodbye to your joints

here he is leaning back like an asshole at the top of a deadlift lol

t-nation.com/img/photos/2013/13-784-05/03.jpg

>in a smith machine

looks more like a rack pull in a squat rack to me?

But from /asp/ high reps fuck your joints senpai?