What's your opinion on the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, Veeky Forums?

What's your opinion on the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F-I_bi1J11Y
youtube.com/watch?v=aH8FNChzwxc
youtube.com/watch?v=16mDR5XILUk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Liberty
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihil_novi
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrician_Articles
youtube.com/watch?v=DRbBHo2sGXE
youtube.com/watch?v=YEONLGOSnZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ibu-XGHUWYY
youtube.com/watch?v=TW_hcZCY6QM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teutonic_takeover_of_Danzig_(Gdańsk)
youtube.com/watch?v=tLcpwwSRx24
berdyaev.com/berdiaev/berd_lib/1914_178.html
youtube.com/watch?v=IwwXJ8u7eTM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congress_Poland
youtube.com/watch?v=rM9KSVSbGKc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_deportations
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanisation_of_Poles_during_the_Partitions
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostflucht
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kulturkampf#Anti-Polish_aspect_of_Kulturkampf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_westward_offensive_of_1918–19
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish–Soviet_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish–Czechoslovak_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaolzie
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilnius#Demographics
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Warsaw_(1920)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Prussia
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It was great

Lithuania = Belorus
Zhmudz = Modern "Lithuania"

It's a shame that Americans aren't more interested in its history.

The nobles were proto-americans with "muh freedomz"
Not to mention the we-wuzing that was later stolen by the Nazis

>Sarmatism (or Sarmatianism) is an ethno-cultural concept with a shade of politics designating the formation of an idea of the Nation's origin from Sarmatians within the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

Fuck off. Both of them are Lithuanian.
Samogitia makes up only 1/3 of the present Lithuanian Republic.

The nobles had elections for a king, but what does that matter if the actual people couldn't vote?

>mfw Polacks were larping as Aryans before Germans
Is there something Germans didn't steal from Polacks?

A good state but ruined by corrupt magnates. It's surprising to see them continuously rebel against their occupiers, which is amazing to me

It's not about the elections. It's about all the privileges that were granted to them.

It's amazing the Polish language still exists, really

Invaders were simply inferior culturally, especially the Russians. They can say whatever they want, but Russian elites were afraid of Polish ones, when Russia swallowed Poland. Simply because Russians were more illiterate and weaker culturally.

Sure litwiński but Stalin kicked another group of true lithuanian(Poles and Jews) from Wilno and repopulate it with settlers from Zhmudz

I'm Polish myself you dumbass.

a to przepraszam xD
Masz racje, że dzisiejsi "litwini" to litwini ale w pojęciu litwy jako geografi(zresztą od rozbiorów to jedyne pojecie litwy)

ps nie mów im tego bo staram się ich dziadkować xD

It's based. The Polish Partition makes me sad.

nobles were a pretty big population, something like 5-10% iirc, making it relatively democratic at the time

So those Lithuanians who speak the same (with minor changes) language as the people in 1200 AD don't deserve to be called Lithuanians?

My opinion is RIP Serenissima Res Publica Poloniae
youtube.com/watch?v=F-I_bi1J11Y

it missed a cool era of industrialization and early nationalism so no wonder no one gives a shit about it

It had a great anthem.
youtube.com/watch?v=aH8FNChzwxc

youtube.com/watch?v=16mDR5XILUk

If napoleon beat russia it could have came back

>missed a cool era of industrialization and early nationalism so no wonder no one gives a shit about it
That's why people shit on Polish history so much. They never got the chance to wewuz as hard as Germans, Anglos and French.

>white russkies dominated by a minority of illiterate, backwards swamp-fume trippers
Way to go, bulba.

yes you know just like germans who lived in Gdańsk wasn't Poles .

They have same DNA but 90% of GDL spoke Rusyan, beside I belive Belorusian people live where they live since medieval time too

>It's a shame that Americans aren't more interested in its history.
It's because the 19th century was stolen from the PLC. And today Poland's softpower is rather weak.
>The nobles were proto-americans with "muh freedomz"
Yeah, the founding fathers who wrote the U.S. Constitution were inspired by the old Polish Nihil novi (1505) and Henrician Articles (1573).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Liberty
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihil_novi
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrician_Articles

forgot link where lithuanian(not the fake one) song polish-lithuanian victory
youtube.com/watch?v=DRbBHo2sGXE

>Population of Lithuania is something like 20%+ of Commonwealth
>13% Belorusian
>7% Lithuanian

give up zhmudzin boi

10% of the population of 10-12 million could vote in the mid-1500's, which was the largest democratic system in the world for like 230 years.
youtube.com/watch?v=YEONLGOSnZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ibu-XGHUWYY
youtube.com/watch?v=TW_hcZCY6QM
10-12%.

Top kek... but so true.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teutonic_takeover_of_Danzig_(Gdańsk)

Gdansk has belonged to the Poles for 700 years.

P.S. The Duchy of Pomerania was a Polish duchy during the fragmentation period of Poland.

DNA in Europe doesn't matter for shit, it never did. Hungarians are identical genetically to neighboring Slavs

It's language and religion that always defined ethnicity in Europe.

>>Sarmatism
Good Sarmata.
youtube.com/watch?v=tLcpwwSRx24

Something familiar?

Zamaicius reikia uzmusti apart to lenkai neblogi zmones tik neliskit prie musu bazniciu

It's funny because Polish was the most important language in central-eastern Europe, after Latin, in the 16-17th centuries and was spoken in Muscovite/Russian royal court for around 100 years at it was seen as a language of the upper class which gave you higher status.
Yes this.
>In the past, polonisation and latinisation of the Russian people would have been to the ruin of its spiritual self-existence, its national visage. Poland descended upon the Russian East with a sense of its own cultural superiourity. The Russian spiritual type seemed to the Polish not some other spiritual type, but simply a lower and non-cultural condition.

>Altogether different is the Polish soul. The Polish soul -- is aristocratic and individualistic to the point of morbidity, in it so powerful is not only the sense of honour, connected with the knight-chivalrant culture unknown to Russia, but also an obdurate ambition. This is the most refined and elegant soul within Slavdom, drowning in its own suffering fate. Pathetic to the point of affectation. The mannerisms of the Polish soul always strike Russians as artificially elegant and sweet, lacking in simplicity and directness, and repelling in its sense of superiourity and suspiciousness, of which the Polish are not free. The Polish have always seemed lacking in a sense of the equality of human souls before God, of brotherhood in Christ, as connected with the acknowledging of the infinite value of each human soul. The unique spiritual aspect of the Polish nobility has poisoned Polish life and played a fateful role in its state destiny. Russian man is little capable of such scorn, he does not love to give another man the feeling, that he is lower than him. Russian man is proud in his humility. The Polish soul however draws upward.

berdyaev.com/berdiaev/berd_lib/1914_178.html

youtube.com/watch?v=IwwXJ8u7eTM

this, tbqh

ok so lets speak about language then

1.What was official languages of GDL?
2.What language was most common in GDL?
3.What language was most common in Wilno until Stalin kick out almost whole population and gave it to "Lithuanians"?

answer:
[spoiler]1.Rusyn, Latin and later Polish[/spoiler]
[spoiler]2. Rusyn, later nobility use Polish [/spoiler]
[spoiler]3. Polish [/spoiler]

>A good state but ruined by corrupt magnates.
True.

This soo fkn much. The 19th century was crucial century for national and industrial development and Poland "missed it" (not as people but as a state - own state). But that's not eniterly true either, because Poland did exist as a state during the partitions for like the half century of it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congress_Poland

Watch this...
youtube.com/watch?v=rM9KSVSbGKc

Belarusians and Lithuanians are perfectly good names for these two nations.
Lithuanians and Samogitians is politicized bullshit that's just confusing.
I'm not denying Belarusians their GDL heritage, not at all. That's not my intention.

I don't see why you keep bringing Poles and Wilno into this. They're not relevant here.

>I don't see why you keep bringing Poles and Wilno into this. They're not relevant here

but they are because they lived in wilno since forever(muh 1200 AD) and was repleced by new people from Zhmudz and "lithuanians" try to pretend now they lived there since muh 1200 AD

>Invaders were simply inferior culturally
this is why no one of these culturally superior gentleman has risen to defend his homeland, but a simple bunch of peasants under guy who returned from america right?
polish culture is sad story of decay by mingling too much with jews and slowly copying their mentality, you can see it even today
its always "muh ww2, muh partitions, muh christ of nations" its never about remembering good times where they were by competent people

You're clearly unfamiliar with the subject.

you're not even trying, m8

Vilnius barely even existed in 1200, wtf are you talking about.

tell me where did i made a mistake

>polish culture is sad story of decay by mingling too much with jews and slowly copying their mentality, you can see it even today
fuck off /pol/

How come during the period when Poland didn't "exist" as an official state the people kept their national identity long enough to bring it back later on? Were there not attempts to Germanize/Russianize the population?

>Were there not attempts to Germanize/Russianize the population?
Numerous. Going even as far as banning Polish language from schools.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_deportations
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanisation_of_Poles_during_the_Partitions
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostflucht
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kulturkampf#Anti-Polish_aspect_of_Kulturkampf

Prussians were the most hardcore about it, because without Greater Poland, they would be nothing.

>Prussians were the most hardcore about it, because without Greater Poland, they would be nothing.
And Pomerania with Gdansk.

Had one of the most advanced governments of all time. A true golden liberty

Former capital of the Kingdom of Poland.

Requesting Kamieniec Podolski

>Were there not attempts to Germanize/Russianize the population?
There were, so hard that people who had been printing polish books or even speak openly about polish culture were imprisoned or even killed. One can think that what unites people into nations is pride or well-being that can be provided by the state created by this nation, but for polish people it was martyrdom. The more polish nation suffered the more people were willingful to protect the polish identity.

*sells country to russians*
*complains about it for another 200 years as if this was someones elses fault*

Poland would be much better off if it were just Russians.
The partitions happened because Prussia and Austria wanted a piece as well. They could have survived as a Russian protectorate for a long time if not for that.

>austrians
no they didn't
they just figured out that they rather take it than let others have it
>prussians
only after catherine agreed to it

I have totaly irrelevent map too
just look

but seriously in one post you told me DNA doesn't matter then you show me lithuanian tribes.
Literally all of this tribes but żmudzin embrace polish/rusyan culture and language. If you are slav living in germany and you start to speak,think and feel german you are part of german nation.

I'd love to have a Poland that massive exist again. Only problem is that it means Germany would be stuck with its modern borders.

>but seriously in one post you told me DNA doesn't matter then you show me lithuanian tribes.
Not the same guy

Current Polish capital moved from Krakow.

poles are no better than russians when they start to grow in power (similar to serbs too)
see: interwar period and how defensive they are when confroted about history of imperialism they committed in those 20 years launching offensive against almost every neighbour

i forgot to mention
they are just ten times more incompetent at conquering stuff and keeping it than say, russia so people actually fall for that poland dindu nuffing meme

Fantastic bait. I guess the most horrible was that brutal offensive against peaceful Bolsheviks.

>see: interwar period and how defensive they are when confroted about history of imperialism they committed in those 20 years launching offensive against almost every neighbour
Manipulate MORE.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_westward_offensive_of_1918–19
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish–Soviet_War

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish–Czechoslovak_War

II RP was based

>save half of lithuania(belorus) from bolsheviks
>save half of ukraine from bolsheviks
>liberate polish speaking lithuanian from żmudzin-"lithuanians"
>liberate mostly polish zaolzie

>>save half of lithuania(belorus) from bolsheviks
>>save half of ukraine from bolsheviks
Never heard of the peace of Riga, eh?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaolzie
>red = Polish majority

OF COURSE. So let's see, Wilno was about pic rel.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilnius#Demographics

Replied to the wrong person??

>tfw no independent buffer state of Cieszyn

About Lwów and Galicia - Polish majority in Lwów and the border was already settled on the Zbruch river with the Ukrainains (Petliura) prior in 1920 during the Warsaw Treaty. So Poland settled the Polish border in the Riga Treaty exact on the same river as it settled with the Ukrainians in the Warsaw Treaty earlier settling the Polish-Ukrainain border if Ukraine would become a free state as Pilsudski wanted.
>Recognition of independence of the Ukrainian People's Republic by Poland
>Providing military support by Ukraine to Poland
>Recognizing of Poland-Ukraine border along Zbruch as international
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Warsaw_(1920)

>Petliura
funny thing is Petliura was true ukrainian hero but they prefer nazi like Bandera

As you wish.
Idk.
>buffer state of Cieszyn
You aren't were bright now are you?

Why did they let prussia exist?

The question is more like why did the Polish king create Prussia in the first place? Prussia was a mistake...
>The Prussian Homage (by Jan Matejko, 1882, National Museum, Kraków): Albert receives eastern Prussia as a fief from King Sigismund I of Poland in 1525.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Prussia

>3 (You)s
Thanks
>You aren't were bright now are you?
Why? It happened with Danzig.

(You)s
Wait, those all three were from you?
>It happened with Danzig.
I thought you confused Czieszyn with Zaolzie. But anyway, even so, Zaolzie had a Polish majority so why would then want to be a small insifingifacnt city state? They wanted to be incorproated into Poland.

>inferior to Russia
>had a love-hate relationship with Turkey
>filthy eastern europeans with a "legacy" they took out of their collective asses
>Are considered the "Best Empire Ever" by idiotic hipsters that deify and fetishize their autistic society
>had a "tragic death" because of said political autism
They're just a polish version of Byzantium

>>inferior to Russia
Top kek

>They're just a polish version of Byzantium

Thank you
For a country to die like the Roman Empire is an honor

>I'd love to have a Poland that massive exist again.
Me too lad, me too...

P.S.
>Only problem is that it means Germany would be stuck with its modern borders.
So what? It's not like they owned old Polish royal Piast lands in 900 to begin with.

>me: Poland is a nation of autists
>you: "That's a good thing though"

As a Pole I consider it a mistake, Lithuania dragged us down and due to economy based on cheap peasant labour we failed to develop.
Poland should have united with Czechs and Hungarians and reconquer Silesia and Pomerania.