I've been lifting to supplement my martial arts training for the past seven years. If you have any questions, ask away

I've been lifting to supplement my martial arts training for the past seven years. If you have any questions, ask away.

Nah we're good, snowflake.

Did it work?
As a former martial artist and current bodybuilder, I can say that lifting anywhere close to what we consider reasonable here is mostly useless for martial arts.

It worked, but desu you're right; lifting anywhere close to what Veeky Forums considers worthwhile is actually detrimental to making gains as a martial artist. So much so in fact that after every day I actually train strength, I spend the remainder of the week working that muscle group (arms or legs) with speed or footwork exercises to boost agility.

>implying you're qualified to speak for the entirety of this board

Speak for yourself. Or better yet, if you have nothing to contribute, don't be a bitch and just move along. You literally brought nothing to the table.

it can't all be that useless

which martial art do you train in user?

>footwork exercises
mind telling me what you do for footwork training?

Useless is probably the wrong word to agree with. What I mean to say is that training strength constantly doesn't help as much as endurance training and speed drills. Typically what I'll do is spend two short days (an hour or less each day) on strength and the remainder of the week stretching, doing drills, and working with lightweight alongside bodyweight exercises (2+ hours a day)

Goju karate is my main style, with White Crane (one of its founding schools) and Wing Chun theory/elements to round it out.

what martial art do you recommend i trained wing chun for a year, and judo for 5 when i was a kid, but that was a long time ago, a block from home they teach kung fu(northern), kapap, taekwondo, aikido, jiu jitsu and boxing if i'm not mistaken

Boxing drills and eight point drills, knee ups and jumping jacks. Shadowboxing with a weighted vest. More recently I've incorporated the sumo shiko and stair steps/sprinting. Some/most of this for 30 minutes to an hour before practicing strikes and stances. Then again afterwards for 15-30 minutes to finish.

Hang on to boxing no matter what martial art you stick it out with. The sheer power it can teach you to generate is invaluable and its method is straightforward rendering it easy to learn but difficult to master. It took my goju to another level is a very short amount of time.

Out of your list I'd go with JJ and taekwondo. TKD is actually pretty well rounded if supported by boxing, and JJ has plenty of elements you can take to the streets if you ever need to. This combination is solid and leaves lots of room to grow.

Never underestimate the power of a solid kick and a deadly lock. My father was a law enforcement officer and used that combo regularly whenever someone was dumb enough to try him. At 6'7, theres few people who can withstand your swift front kick to the nuts or gut. His reach was stupid long.

thanks for the answer, the thing is, my wing chun teacher also did boxing/kickboxing, aikido, and muay thai, he traveled through asia learing muay thai, and went to england to pass his level 12 wing chun exam, one time some guy who trained there brought a friend who was a taekwondo teacher and competitor, this guy said that nothing beated a powerful taekwondo kick, my teacher said he should prove it and kick him, the guy said he didn't want to because it could hurt him, but after a while he agreed, now here comes the good part, when the guy jumped to kick him, my teacher did a frontal kick so fucking fast it trew the guy away and then he needed to sit in a chair for 15m because of the pain in the chest, after that we understood he was only teaching us a little amount of kicks variations and so much form.

How many frames do your punches take?
3? 2 1/2?

Haha, brilliant. That's the shit I like. Good luck in your endeavors man. Happy to hear you had a teacher with a head on his shoulders and not just an ego under his belt.

I've never tested them to see. And honestly I couldn't give you an estimate. Now that you've mentioned it I'm gonna figure out a way to find out. I'm not very fast though. Never have been. That's part of the reason I train speed as extensively as I do.

thanks a lot, i'll try boxing as you said and also jiu-jitsu if i have enough time, he also mentioned that wing chun if done correctly is anti-grapling but you can never be too sure about anything.

Big muscles are only for show, after a while you start losing performance

i've been at muay thai for a few years, but also started a desk job. my lower body and core been losing a lot of strength and stability because of sitting down all day. i'm starting lifting recently, just enough to gain back a bit of muscle on my legs and lower back so the good ol' compound barbell exercises will come in handy.

have you ever faced anything similar?

Rock Lee is a badass

Dude you have to be trolling? Chinese martial arts?

Unfortunately. I'm very familiar with strength declines, due to a couple of seasons spent depressed at the bottom of bottles. These periods were blessings in disguise because they helped teach me the value of keeping the body strong and what methods of recovery work best for a person that has been out of the game for a hot minute.

Get some dumbbells. Do deadlifts and OHP with them while keeping your core tight. I use 45s. Do weighted crunches and planks with a light plate. Plank variations will be your best friend. Also I highly recommend torso twists, but you absolutely must squeeze the everloving Hell out of your core while you do em.

Bobbing and weaving is also good too. Do them in a front stance, switching your lead foot every few rotations. If you're looking for something with more balance and less footwork use a horse stance.

Don't neglect stretching.

saving that for reference! thanks friend.

Goju is Okinawan. White Crane and Wing Chun are chinese, yes, but as stated I primarily only use their theories to sharpen the edge of my technique, so to speak. You'll never see me use a crane stance like in karate kid, or use wing chun exclusively. Chinese kung fu was all very technical and applying it to modern fighting is impractical more often than not.

Nobody has time to stand around whipping out tiger claw strikes or showcasing a bunch of goofy stances. Save it for the movies.

When I fight I move more akin to a boxer than anything else. My strikes however are varied beyond hooks, crosses, jabs, and uppercuts. Hooks are by far my favorite but palm strikes, rolling punches, and backhands are amazing attacks to develop for sneaking in an extra blow or two to build momentum.

Not a problem. Good luck man, both in your training and at your job. Hope you can find a happy medium between the two that allows you to keep it together.

which martial arts?

back to judo.
+ bjj, sambo, box, muay thai

thanks, i only have those available, the jiu-jitsu they learn is the japanese one not the brazilian, what is your opinion on kung fu?

Answered this question earlier in the thread.

See

Martial arts is mostly a meme

if you weigh 300lbs and hit someone once in the jaw they'll be down for a while

Look at tank abbott

physiques like that are good to end fights.

You dont want to be a skinny martial arts faggot and pissing about with karate moves or spending a minute to floor someone

Size matters far more than skill when it comes to realistic self defence.

In fact size is perhaps the best deterrent itself.

> deadlifts with dumbells

what the fuck am i reading.

dude kill yourself. you're probably like that fat taekwondoe neckbeard on /asp/.

I know several prolific fighters who do/did a shit ton of lifting.

Being able to throw 400 lbs off your chest comes in handy on the ground....

Op here. While I don't agree with martial arts being a meme, I do agree size definitely matters. My favorite fighters are the sumo and Tyson in his prime. All of my street fights ended with a single blow; an uppercut to the jaw from my waist. I've been floored by a single kick to the solar plexus, and once by an elbow to the nose. The kick came from a larger opponent. The elbow was a suckerstrike from a guy in a mosh pit.

I'm 6'2, 215 lbs. Not sure if that constitutes being a weak faggot but I've come a long way from being a 170lb weaboo.

Also, I don't advocate violence. Better not to fight. I advocate disarming the situation or running faster than the opponent when outnumbered.

You quoted the post, so I think it's safe to say you know what the fuck you're reading. If you have nothing constructive to contribute I suggest you kindly gtfo. Not everyone is interested in the same things you are but that doesn't make their methods wrong, just different.

I never understood why they made the guy who works out the most into the scrawniest dyel faggot on the show. I guess it probably has something to do with how the Japs always have the big guys be the bad guys and the good guys be smaller because the Japs themselves are smaller than everyone else.

Yeah it may be a cultural thing but honestly the rep range Rock Lee works with and the kind of exercises he does puts him in an ultraendurance mode. He should have definitely been depicted as being much more buff than he is but given the stupid amounts of cardio and calisthenics he does I doubt he'd get really huge. His lifts weren't varied.

>Look at tank abbot
look at his record
he does not have a fighting physique hes a complete joke

Kyukoshin black belt turned muay thai here. had to quit over an injury and lifting was a way to heal damaged joints, but now i don't really want to go back.
why don't you train vs live opponents? you know being accustomed to conflict is much more detrimental than how fast you punch.
also do you rest before or after the lifting day?

Post a video of you hitting the heavy bag please.

There is literally nothing wrong with doing deadlifts with dumbbells. The only reason people don't do it normally is because they want to use higher weight, but if you're looking to build endurance that's perfectly reasonable.

What's a good martial art to start with? Never had any experience with any martial art, but I do want to get into it.

Any tips for a nooby?

What's that kick where you start off as if you're going for a front kick but then change to targeting the side of the head called?

Also, do you switch stances? If so, can you throw all the punches and kicks you know comfortably from both orthodox and southpaw guards?

are you more about fighting or about style?
Karate is easier to get into, practice the form, spar lightly, etc. more meditative.
Muay thai/kickboxing will teach you how to take and give a punch. It varies between countries, I learned in israel and got lightly beat up at first. In canada boxing was very mild and technical. russians told me about russian gyms where you finish every session with a swollen face (and those guys were very good at getting hit, it was scary)
Jujitsu if you're small and not afraid of contact.

I rest the day before my strength days, and tend to stick to stretching and cardio the day after they're both over. After cardio day I shift from the heavy weight I used on my strength days to light or moderate weight the remainder of the week.

I don't recall saying I don't go toe to toe against live opponents. I do, one or two days a week before my rest day. MMA.

not op, don't know what it's called, but it's fucking great. the only thing better is a roundhouse that turns into a straight kick.

my bad.
cool, thanks.

You're using my pic from the weebs that made it thread.

Not to discredit size, but I think people to underestimate it a bit.

I was talking to one of my training partners the other day; he was telling me about the two hardest times he has been hit in his 8 years at our gym.

#1 Was by a female Muay Thai/MMA fighter. Fights around 135. She hits hard as fuck. Pic related. That's Miesha Tate going down... She did the same thing to two other woman that day.
#2 Was by one our guys who fights for Bellator (boxing background). He also fights at 135.

Our head coach who is about 150-160 used to hold pads for Bork Lazer and he was perfectly fine doing it.

Obviously bigger people can hit very hard with training. I remember watching Pat Barry kick two heavy bags at once at our gym. But I want to emphasize that a lot of it comes from training.

I wouldn't know. I'm partial to keeping my feet on the ground and there are only two or three kicks I practice regularly; front, side, and knee. In my dojo we were taught if you're kicking above the waist/stomach you're wasting your time.

I'm a southpaw, but I was trained to fight right handed. I highly recommend learning how to switch stances because when you're thick in the shit you want to be comfortable just doing what you have to without worrying how you're standing or feeling awkward about it.

I'm not exactly small (6'3, 220lbs), and I have no idea whether I prefer fighting or style. I just want to try out new things and have fun. Learning self-defece/fighting is a plus.

Glad to see you. I saved it instantly the moment I saw it. Good taste user.

No problem. Keep up the MT, I've got nothing but respect for the style. It taught me how to use my elbows and knees properly.

Op here. The user who suggested mt or kickboxing gave solid advice. I'd definitely go with kickboxing if I could do it all over again. It's really demanding, and keeps you in amazing shape.

What about kyokushin karate? What's the difference for beginners?

how would you describe your transition to MT from Kyokushin? i'm an MT brat here, been at it for years, but once i feel hits to the head are taking their toll i think i'm gonna switch to Kyokushin. it think i won't feel too far out of my element and i want that top conditioning, all without the accumulation of brain damage. what do you think?

Thanks, senpai. I think at least one archetypical Hero's Journey is necessary for a growing man

Can't say for sure, but I do know k. karate is an offspring of the style I practice. With that said, I'm very proud of goju and anything that stems from it is aok with me. If memory serves me right though k. karate is more offensive and contact oriented than goju. Goju is all about being strong like a stone. It is very defense oriented.

What about choosing between k.karate and kickboxing?

Bump

if you want to avoir head punches, go KK. if you want something a little bit more modernized in its approach to competition then KB.

hey, same user as Kyokoshin is mainly about kicking effectively, punching with power, and learning how to handle impact.
it does not, however, feature a lot of practice of punches to the face.
The transition into MT was not easy.
worth noting, that all of my brawls occurred before knowing anything about boxing.
Just like OP, I finished most of my fights with a single blow, in my case a front kick delivered just under the solar plexus.
The only time I relied heavily on punches was when i was attacked by several guys. the first one got his lungs stepped on, but the rest came in fast and i couldn't kick while using proper footwork.
I had to carefully dodge and strike, but after doing that twice a week for years, the timing felt natural, even easy. I am not bragging, I was a very mediocre fighter, but i was still more than enough to knock down four assholes one after the other.
>in the end some sucker punched me with a rock - dentists had to be involved.
>4/10 would not try again

Thanks m8s. I think I'll try KK out soon

Damn son that sounds rough, but kudos to you for standing your ground. Sucks that punk had to resort to weapons on you like that, but going the distance 1v4 makes for an impressive story.