Soylent

What's Veeky Forums's take on soylent? I'm a software engineer and thinking about replacing 600-800 calories/day with it, mostly my lunch meals.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26864554).
google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjrspyzsrzMAhXHsYMKHf6TDLIQFghCMAI&url=http://www.cell.com/abstract/S0092-8674(15)01481-6&usg=AFQjCNEVvnzpQzitj_NCQJYdnuHiwfLqMw&sig2=ScRFbRN8f3zRJqAGn67djw).
youtube.com/watch?v=8Sp-VFBbjpE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It started out made by a neckbeard in his basement, and after he moved buildings in an attempt to scale up his shit (the VICE video) you could see rat shit around his supplies. I also wanted to give it a go but that shit just doesn't seem safe to me anymore, especially considering he gets a lot of shit from India and China in order to score a profit.

>i want to fall for the stupid soylent-meme like my hip redditor brogrammer colleagues so that i can fit in with them

There are plenty of other versions made by companies with their shit together.

It's garbage, and you really shouldn't trust that crazy asshole.

>autism, the dietary supplement

Nah, I just work from home and can shorten the block of time I'm "at work" significantly if I can drink my lunch

16 years ago I used a similar 'meal replacement' product for 2/3 of my meals. I lost 50 pounds that way. But it was shit nutrition and I'd never do it again. Eat real food, and learn some personal discipline.

>I'm a software engineer
what the fuck does that have to do with anything?

Lazy gay nerd food for lazy gay nerds.

Because activity level over 8 hours a day is important to making informed decisions about nutrition

Link me some, then. Preferably some not flagged for high heavy metal concentrations like what this guy is making.

A lot of software engineers aren't quite right in the head. There are lots and lots of examples of that. The creator of Soylent is also a software engineer.

he probably meant to say
that he has a job that is not physically demanding

>aren't quite right in the head
any examples? curious

John Mcafee, for one. Or maybe he's the sanest man on yhe planet, who can tell at this point.

Two recent examples are Hans Reiser and Ian Murdock. Look them up.

Terry Davis

JERF

Liquid diets have been shown time and time again to be awful regardless of the recipe. Strict liquid diets lead to organ failure everytime. Just ask yourself this, if Solent is so fast, convienient, and small then why isn't it standard issue in the military?

isn't that the drink that messed cosmo up?

No you can't. You would just shorten your lunch break. It would be silly to consider your lunch break "at work"

Wow a 30 minute break. Unless you've mastered polyphasic sleeping, 30 minutes is nothing and i should still be paid for it since it actually creates more stress by way of looking at the clock and worrying, dreading when its time to go back, etc. I should get time and a half for it actually.

've been eating nearly all soy instead of dairy for 2 months and it has been great.

>Cleared up acne
>Lowered bad cholesterol
>lost weight
>got tons of protein

Only side effects I've seen my nipples are sensitive and my gooch is tingly.

Wow you sound like such a pampered little bitch ass cry baby kid. You work from HOME and whine about 30 minutes not being enough for you to eat? Are you fucking retarded or handicapped or something? Cook in big batches and put it in the fridge or freezer, hell if you're at home you could even cook lunch from scratch. But sure go ahead with your meme hipster shitty chinese soy drink, I mean gyno on a piece of shit like you wouldn't make you significantly worse anyway. Then when you have your next manchild tantrum you can always comfort yourself by sucking milk from your own tit you utter fucking failure. People like you disgust me.

OK dude you have no clue what my work is. Just because i make my money from home doesnt mean its not stressfull OK so you need to shut your damn mouth before i do it myself. Sometimes i wish i had 0 amnition like yourself, so i can be happy as someone else's wage slave, but alas i have more drive and talent thab tgat, so im forced to run my own business, which is stressfull as fuck so hush.

This maybe? I've never tried it, I don't drink calories as an old habit from when I lost weight, but it seems to be exactly what OPs talking about.

It has nothing to do with what work you do fuck tard
You're clearly way out of your own depth to run your own business if you cant take 30 minutes out of the day for eating lunch

You get stressed on your lunch break? Holy shit you're a piece of shit. I hope you never have to do anything actually stressful, your heart probably couldn't take it.

Buddy. You're a code monkey who gets to work from home. Congrats on your amazing ambition. You run your little company and think you're a big boy. You think you're the only one on this site with their own company? I run a geological consulting company and work 12hr days in a shitty trailer adjacent to an oil rig with no designated lunch break. I'm talented enough that I'm put in charge of a new multi million dollar project every month and I have the drive to excel at my work and market my results. But your lunch break is so fucking stressful. I couldn't imagine being given an entire 30min to cook lunch (at 12am) all that time would be so intimidating. What would I do with it all?

>I don't drink calories

But why? If you're trying to gain, some of the most efficient bulking can be done through making protein shakes.

See what other people have said in the thread
Its aight to bulk through protein shakes (say ontop of your normal diet) but when you starting replacing your meals with liquids it fucks you up man

Lmao
>not realizing that lunch breaks are usually a legal requirement

Nutrilett
GNLD

Different user here.

soylent used to be another formula

now there are legitimate health benefits ( phytochems, b12?, microbiome benes from competition with algae

It also has a great omega 3 ratio; but it is now prohibitively expensive. It is not a 'fit' food by any means.

Not if you're self employed.

What phytochems are you talking about, anything with backed studies?

if the FDA were to classify it, it would be as a Biologics so you're essentially all in on the hype or you aren't ( evidence for one phyto would not be evidence of the benefit of the product )
In terms of research I haven't seen one, and all the benefits stay putative (ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26864554).

That being said I could argue we know literally nothing about what is beneficial for the human body (google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjrspyzsrzMAhXHsYMKHf6TDLIQFghCMAI&url=http://www.cell.com/abstract/S0092-8674(15)01481-6&usg=AFQjCNEVvnzpQzitj_NCQJYdnuHiwfLqMw&sig2=ScRFbRN8f3zRJqAGn67djw).

>failure
would be very interested in this, do you have a link?

Nah, saw it on the discovery channel a long time ago.

as far as I can see it literally doesn't exist

the only reference to organ failure it through prolonged ketosis; you should notice if you're in ketosis long enough, but lets be smart and get fasting glucose tested semi frequently and you the diet should be 100% safe.

Me.
My colleagues.

It takes a certain mindset to want to work in an industry that is frequently outsourced, full of unrealistic customer expectations, and that requires continual skill improvement. If you are fond of schedules, and sleep, don't get into programming for a living. If you aren't working unpaid overtime, or collaborating with people 15 time zones away, then you're studying new languages, or system architecture. You've probably got a few side projects you're working on as well. Every time crunch time rolls around, I think about getting back into construction. It didn't pay as well, but at least the hours were a bit more reliable, and I didn't have to answer to anyone but the foreman.

I mean, by necessity, devolopers end up working with a few end users. They all want different crap thrown in, and you end up having to sit down with a team to prioritize development, and they always expect that what they perceive as a simple change (Just add a dialogue box.) won't have repercussions on data handling, or interfaces to other vendor's software. So what they think is a one day fix turns into a week's worth of work due in 3 days max. It's just frustrating as hell, and you have to be a little off in the head to put up with it for long.

75% of my calories are from soylent 2.0 Its real good breh.... cheap, convienent and just easy in general.

Finished computer science 5 years, MSc in software engineering and PLCs

Software engineers and compsci people are legitimately the shittiest, most pathetic and crazy people on the planet.

I am seriously thinking of killing myself during 2016 because I do not want to be working with such people for the rest of my life and I already wasted 7 years studying it so it's too late for me.

SOYLENT IS PEOPLE

its made of humans though.
making obvious reference is the best cover for that

That's a sunk time fallacy bro. If you aren't happy, do something else. Sure, you might have to develop a new skill, but if you're in the business, you're studying new shit all of the time anyways. Sure, a lot of it is on the job, but you might as well be poring of a book that actually interests you. And you've got the PLC thing going, you could get into fabrication fairly easily.

>not wanting them dahmer gainz

Apparently lab tests for long term strict liquid diets all had to be shut down early due to risks of digestive organ failure. I can't remember the time period for the tests though.

Still if it was a good idea then soldiers would deploy with them.

Do you like mathematics?

I was thinking that since we spent so much time on mathematics and performance analysis, maybe I could jump over to that instead of committing sudoku...

its relatively new bud. It takes alot of work to have a large contract like that with the military.

It's a "magic pill" marketed for manchildren who are too stupid to learn how to cook for themselves.

Except there is a psychological advantage to a hot meal for a soldier. We have First Strike rations and HOOAH! bars for when you're on the move, but you don't want to eat them if you don't have to, Even MREs are designed these days to give you a hot meal without breaking light discipline. You just need to be upwind of hostiles.

youtube.com/watch?v=8Sp-VFBbjpE

I'm less into pure mathematics and more into conceptual shit. As I move forward in my career I find myself doing more analysis, design, and long-term system planning. Thankfully if you prove you know your shit, people end up wanting you to stop coding, and actually tell them the best way to handle their data. At least half of my side studies are geared towards a software manager role. Then I figure I head to Project manager, and eventually VP of IT.

So right now, I'm content. Who needs math beyond the ability to create a formula for the expected output?

Of course, I write warehouse management and POS systems, so I'm not dealing with anything beyond basic algebra and general accounting rules (Everything is balanced). Game devs end up needing all kinds of trig and shit if they want to work on physics engines.

you'll get used to it

15 years in the industry now. I'm used to it. It's still frustrating to have a week's worth of work rendered unusable because some bigshot who doesn't actually use the system decides it should be done another way.

And at first, I thought, shit it all pays the same. But that's the problem. I'm salaried. It pays the same no matter how many late night miracles I conjure from my ass.

>if then would
That isn't an argument; the world is not inherently logical, or fact based it is entirely pragmatic and post-hoc.

>clinical trials had to be shut down for liquid only diets
Again would love to see data.

Kek you typed all that

I doubled up on meme diets and did a keto diy soylent. Dropped 50 lbs in 2.5 months and was able to dial in the calories to maintain for a total of 12.

It gets boring if it's the only thing you have, but it works. I'll likely go back to it on my next cut.

... Soylent like products and other liquid meal replacements have been around since the 60s. Maybe even longer.

RIP Ian.
I guess you could say he was
>unstable

For real though. What a loss to the CS/Linux community.

The world is actually all 4 of those things at the same time. Reality is by definition logical and factual while still being fucked up.

I used Soylent 2.0 for the last 3 weeks. I consumed 3-4 bottles a day, and on days when I only had 3 bottles, I ate a hard meal for dinner. I would consume my Soylent post workout with an extra scoop of whey, lunch, mid afternoon meal, and dinner.

This shit kept me at 1700 cal/day (including the scoop of whey) and helped me lose 6 lbs during those three weeks while also exercising in the mornings. I enjoyed the taste (it's like raisin bran without the raisins), it kept me full, and my shits were perfect (not too hard, not too soft. Juuuuust right.). Lost weight, made gains, never felt fatigued, tired, or "off". Would recommend.

I just started using KetoChow last week, which I'm also enjoying, but it takes a bit of extra prep work to make and it needs to sit in a fridge over night before drinking.

If you don't think the military has included liquid meals when researching and testing alternative meal replacements to lighten the load of soldiers than you are naive. The other place to look for meal replacement tech would be nasa, though in that case the zero g considerations add a lot of complexity. For example pastes make more sense Than liquids.

Because carrying around enough Soylent to replenish the amount of calories you burn while conducting patrols, forced marches, obstacle construction, or anything else that is incredibly, physically taxing, is just impracticle.

A regular IMP or MRE can be broken down to it's base components (main meal, desert, snack) out of their boxes and bags to be more compact and easily stowed. You can easily fit 3 full meals in a side pouch on a day bag or in the top pouch of a ruck sack, and it doesn't weight that much. With Soylent you would have to carry around the powder, which isn't bad, except you would also need to carry an additional bottle of oil. On top of that, you'd need to carry additional water and a shaker cup, which is a shit load of extra space and weight that you don't want to have to carry. IMPs and MREs are also more caloricaly dense by volume. There's also the psychological factor that should not be forgotten. It can be a real morale booster in the field when you chow down on your favourite IMP and desert. That little boost of comfort can make a world of difference, as opposed to consuming a frozen solid Soylent drink during winter ops, or a near boiling temperature drink in hot weather (Afghanistan, Iraq).

Also, Soylent is a rather recent invention. The company is not large enough in its current state to produce the mass quantities that a military such as the United States' would require.

please dude you're keeping it too real for me

Why does everyone think Soylent is a new thing? The particular brand is new but people have been developing and producing liquid replacement diets for over half a century now.